Richard Mather Out!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jackoh

Re: Richard Mather Out!

Post by jackoh »

I wasn`t going to answer this thread as it was hammered last season.
The fact is Noble keeps playing him , everyone on the ground can see Mathers is a liability ,
No matter what we write can make Noble ( until he`s sacked ) play anyone else at full back .
I thought Phelps or Roberts would have been better at full back , but after today I`ld bring a host of reserve or academy players in , they can`t do any worse than what I`ve seen today .
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

THE 18th Man wrote:well this makes sense Richard Mathers out, why not Thomas Leuleui out for knocking it on twice or Andy Coley for knocking on a few times, once on the line, or a Amos Roberts out because he was out of position for the second try.

Richie Mathers got sarcasticly cheerd every time he caught the ball although i cant remember him doing anything wrong

He got sin-binned but his momentum took him over the player

he missed a taclke when they scored a try but Amos Roberts let him go first so maybe Amos should have done his job in the first place

he did a try saving tackle when Wakefield made the break which would lead them to scoring.

besides Feka he was our best player in a very below average performance

Applause! Long applause!

The jeers for catching the ball were disgusting and typical of the wigan fans these days. . . .
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

i think he was abysmal today as apart from catch from a high bomb he messed up everything else.

i agree the sarcy cheers was stupid, its not going to help anyone doing that.
Brianed0

Post by Brianed0 »

Mathers is a total joke.I have not met anyone on the terraces (sorry, seats) who can give him a good word. The man is a total LIABILITY.

I was amazed when he was given a new contract for this season. Please, please, please, take him away. My nerves can't stand the strain whenever the ball or a player, with the ball, heads in his direction.

He is not to blame though for the gutless, talentless performance today. A good deal of that must lie with Nobby. I am afraid his style of coaching and play has had its day.
Brian Edwards, supporter since 1950. Once Wigan, always Wigan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

How anyone can defend Mathers when on three occasions he made no attempt to go for the ball. He is the worse full back I have seen playing for Wigan since Jimmy Birts.
Now, I am giving my age away!
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

ok he takes his time collecting the ball but

1. he didnt mess up
2. when the squad in the first half were getting beat and wernt running or showing effort to get to the scrum why should he worry about wasting 2 or 3 seconds
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

THE 18th Man wrote:ok he takes his time collecting the ball but

1. he didnt mess up
2. when the squad in the first half were getting beat and wernt running or showing effort to get to the scrum why should he worry about wasting 2 or 3 seconds
One of the first things a fullback learns is not to let the ball bounce - he did that on at least 3 occasions when he could have got to it. Sloppy tackling, poor positioning, and showed nothing in attack.

As the "Sporting life" website says:
The Warriors produced their best rugby of the match during Mathers' absence
He was by far the worst of a bad bunch.
CBWarrior

Post by CBWarrior »

I've defended him all off season, saying that with a full pre-season under his belt he will be much better, and I predicted him to be a good player this season...

In 70 minutes on a field he pretty much managed to throw that back in my face! Same old same old, not attemptiong to catch bombs, made the odd tackle, (one of which was try saving to be fair) but still no were near good enough.

I'm hoping Noble drops him and coley, and brings prescot (who is looking much bigger this season) in as well as Ainscough. Dropping Roberts to FB and putting Ainscough on the wing.

Can't see it though, EVEN if he does get dropped, we will end up with Goulding back in, playing inside Phelps on the wing.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I said all this last year that we could not win anything with this guy at fullback.. I said he had no bottle and lacked guts but the rose tinters said I was wrong…where are you now..you know who you are…

I also said that Smith had no go forward and lacked pace...watch this space!

ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

18th MAN YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR SOON