Richard Mather Out!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hanley the God!

Re: Richard Mather Out!

Post by Hanley the God! »

BEGINNING TO THINK THE 18TH MAN IS RICHIE MATHERS!!!! :doz:
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

ddtftf wrote:18th MAN YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR SOON
Firstly CB Warrior he may of left balls to bounce because everytime he caught them first time he got a sarcastic cheer which if it was me struggling and trying to play rugby i would have thrown my shirt at the fans because he was being singled out in a pathetic performance (i am not saying fans should not say what they feel but were was the sarcastic cheers when the team completed a set of six) secondly ddtftf i am not a Mathers fan i just think people are puting more blame on Mathers when there were players who made just as many misstakes. and lastly if we want to go into the past then Mathers is only 3rd choice full back behind Sean Brisco who we sold and Chris Ashton (money talks) and Noble wont change the wing because Amos needs time and pat and George have built a good partnership which made them the best two players last year

the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

THE 18th Man wrote:
ddtftf wrote:18th MAN YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR SOON
Firstly CB Warrior he may of left balls to bounce because everytime he caught them first time he got a sarcastic cheer which if it was me struggling and trying to play rugby i would have thrown my shirt at the fans because he was being singled out in a pathetic performance (i am not saying fans should not say what they feel but were was the sarcastic cheers when the team completed a set of six) secondly ddtftf i am not a Mathers fan i just think people are puting more blame on Mathers when there were players who made just as many misstakes. and lastly if we want to go into the past then Mathers is only 3rd choice full back behind Sean Brisco who we sold and Chris Ashton (money talks) and Noble wont change the wing because Amos needs time and pat and George have built a good partnership which made them the best two players last year
:eusa2:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I am just absolutely staggered that people are defending Richie Mathers. I will concede that he does do some of the basics right but can anyone honestly say that he's ever had a game for Wigan where he did anything memorable.......apart from the sendings off the sin bins and letting John Wilkin run over him like he wasn't there.
I've never been to a game where he's done something that impresses me, not a single one. Brian Noble must know something I don't. He is, at best someone who will field the ball for you. He cannot do anything else, and for anyone thinking 'that's what a fullback's supposed to do' all the other top flight fullbacks in the game have far more strings to their bows.
In 2008 Mathers scored 1 try, gave 1 try assist. he also made 1700 metres. Brent Webb scored 15 tries and gave 16 try assists and made over 3000 metres.(Official Super League Stats) Oh and Webb didn't get himself sent off twice either.
Are those supporting him really trying to suggest that he is worthy of the Wigan number 1 shirt???
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

i am just saying we cant single him out after yesterdays performance and fans have been saying a new start and as soon as he plays last years facts get brought up
Hanley the God!

Post by Hanley the God! »

I am just absolutely staggered that people are defending Richie Mathers. I will concede that he does do some of the basics right but can anyone honestly say that he's ever had a game for Wigan where he did anything memorable.......apart from the sendings off the sin bins and letting John Wilkin run over him like he wasn't there.
I've never been to a game where he's done something that impresses me, not a single one. Brian Noble must know something I don't. He is, at best someone who will field the ball for you. He cannot do anything else, and for anyone thinking 'that's what a fullback's supposed to do' all the other top flight fullbacks in the game have far more strings to their bows.
In 2008 Mathers scored 1 try, gave 1 try assist. he also made 1700 metres. Brent Webb scored 15 tries and gave 16 try assists and made over 3000 metres.(Official Super League Stats) Oh and Webb didn't get himself sent off twice either.
Are those supporting him really trying to suggest that he is worthy of the Wigan number 1 shirt???

:eusa2: :eusa2:
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

o well you know what they say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
ironicly his name is Brian

Have fixed your link - Josie
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

THE 18th Man wrote:i am just saying we cant single him out after yesterdays performance and fans have been saying a new start and as soon as he plays last years facts get brought up
I'm not blaming him for the debacle that was Sunday afternoon either but did he did get himself binned and he didn't do anything that could have won us the game. The Forum topic is 'Richard Mathers out' and I'm just illustrating a point with the figures. I know that the difference between Webb and Mathers is like chalk and cheese but that's the point entirely. We are one of the richest, best supported and biggest names in Rugby League and we need players who are inspirational, like (dare I say it) Radlinski. Mathers is not the worst player in the world but he's far from someone I would say had the quality to wear our number 1 shirt.
The whole team were to blame for the Wakey game and whilst I'm on the subject, hats off to Wakey and John Kear. They did everything that we didn't.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
CBWarrior

Post by CBWarrior »

To be honest, if your arguing that he left the ball because of the fans reaction, then I'm abit stunned. Bowtun warrior will back me up (I hope :) ) all Leigh game I sat with him and we talked about how he needed to be given a chance etc etc, but Sunday he was awful! He didn't really run with any conviction (which I thought he was starting to do towards the end of last season) and I saw no different, to be honest, he could have stood at the bottom of the south stand and laughed at me for backing him up all off season!

He wasn't the worst performer, but I had hoped that once he had a full pre-season, got some warm-up games under his belt and gone a full season with no injury problems that he would be starting to show signs of improvement.

I challenge anyone to find a fullback in super league, championship or any other league that lets the ball bounce instead of challenging for it.

A couple of positives are he took the man with the ball when they scored their first try, if he passes it and they score anyway then nothing he can do, and he was tracking up the inside of the forwards more than usual. They are the positives, but they are what you would expect a fullback to do.

I doubt that Noble will drop him, and I doubt it would do him much good either to be honest. He looks like a player lacking in confidence and dropping him wont give him that. So what should Noble do? leave him in the side and hope for the best, or drop Roberts/Richards top fullback?

If he picks up a ban it might help Noble out lol
danwrlfc

Post by danwrlfc »

Richie Mathers makes Doc Murray look good!

He just isn't good enough to play in super league, can't catch, can't tackle, can't return a kick, can't read a game!