Do The Fans Make Things Worse ? Is Booing The Way Forward ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stjudes02

Do The Fans Make Things Worse ? Is Booing The Way Forward ?

Post by stjudes02 »

I noticed that it was our first league game of the season on sunday and only 40 mins into the game at half time bear in mind we was only losing 10 - 0 in what i agree was a dismal first half display, the majority of the so called wigan faithful were yet again booing the team off!! I agree we was bad and there is people in the team that dont deserve to wear the shirt but one thing i have never done and never will do is boo the team you so called support. Do some of the wigan fans put to much pressure on our team ? should we not be cheering them on instead of booing them ? especially 40 mins into the first game. No team can go the season winningall the games, lets see what happens and at least get behind them for the time being.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Do The Fans Make Things Worse ? Is Booing The Way...

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I think you're right, booing doesn't help but I still found myself doing it at the end of the game. I'm ashamed of myself for doing it too. The bottom line was that I was so pi**ed off and found myself reacting.
Don't get me wrong I shouldn't have done it but that performance was one of the worst Wigan have ever produced for me. It wasn't even about the result, it was one of the most incompetent, tactically inept and unenthusiastic displays I've ever had the misfortune to witness.
We, as fans wait a whole off season to see our team play, for that team to show us no respect in the way that they played. I was disgusted with them.
BUT I still shouldn't have booed them.......I won't again......promise :sly:
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Frustration makes a fan boo!

There is no other way for them to articulate their dissatisfaction (apart from the contradictory stance of a fan not supporting his team anymore by abstention)
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Dezzer 1952

Post by Dezzer 1952 »

I don't agree with you about not booing . How else are the fans expected to show their disgust at such an inept and disgraceful performance . We pay our money to be entertained and for far too long we have had to endure too many performances of that standard set on Sunday.I've held a season ticket for a few years but if I don't see any improvement this season with regards to style of play I will reluctantly cancel it.The most important thing for me is to be entertained by watching exciting rugby. Wigan over the past couple of seasons have failed to deliver on that front ,whether it's the coach or the players or both I don't know but it needs sorting out soon.I don't expect us to win every game (but it would be nice ) but I do expect us to play with commitment , pride and a bit of flair.
Let's hope things improve quickly (very dispondent Warrior Fan )
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Dezzer 1952 wrote:I don't agree with you about not booing . How else are the fans expected to show their disgust at such an inept and disgraceful performance . We pay our money to be entertained and for far too long we have had to endure too many performances of that standard set on Sunday.I've held a season ticket for a few years but if I don't see any improvement this season with regards to style of play I will reluctantly cancel it.The most important thing for me is to be entertained by watching exciting rugby. Wigan over the past couple of seasons have failed to deliver on that front ,whether it's the coach or the players or both I don't know but it needs sorting out soon.I don't expect us to win every game (but it would be nice ) but I do expect us to play with commitment , pride and a bit of flair.
I agree, although I didn't and wouldn't boo them, personally, I won't complain about those that did.

As you say, it's supposed to be entertainment; if we went to, say, a music gig of our favourite band, and they messed up the music and lyrics and had a rubbish sound system, we'd boo them too. Same thing.

Also, booing did work (briefly) last season.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Dezzer 1952 wrote:I don't agree with you about not booing . How else are the fans expected to show their disgust at such an inept and disgraceful performance . We pay our money to be entertained and for far too long we have had to endure too many performances of that standard set on Sunday.I've held a season ticket for a few years but if I don't see any improvement this season with regards to style of play I will reluctantly cancel it.The most important thing for me is to be entertained by watching exciting rugby. Wigan over the past couple of seasons have failed to deliver on that front ,whether it's the coach or the players or both I don't know but it needs sorting out soon.I don't expect us to win every game (but it would be nice ) but I do expect us to play with commitment , pride and a bit of flair.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there but I'm sure you'll agree that you don't like booing your team. The problem is that it's counterproductive. We desperately want the team to do well so we should support them at all costs and that may help. All booing does is relieve some of the frustration, it won't make them play better. But I understand your point, as I said I found myself booing them off the pitch on Sunday.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We boo a lot. We are turning into the worst fans in the league with our booing.

It's embarrasing. already some of our fans are idiots it seems booing is the norm now

(and yes someone will post about the team performance...)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
markill

Post by markill »

i wasn't booing, i never boo my own team and don't particularly enjoy hearing it. that said i do shout abuse at my own team so i'm not saying i'm any better than the booers.

what i was doing at the end is watching the players and in particular gaz hock - he looked totally disgusted with himself and the team and couldn't bring himself to look at the crowds they let down. looked like he felt it as bad as we did, which i can't say for all our players
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Dezzer 1952

Post by Dezzer 1952 »

If they keep turning out performances like they did on Sunday you won't need to bother about the booing because the fans will let their feet do their talking . In this present economical climate where money is tight I'm sure it could be put to better use .
upandunder

Post by upandunder »

if am paying good money to watch good rugby i will do what i like boo or clap but wud u not boo with a team playing like wigan did.am sorry no good for a rugby team like wigan.to many people thinking lets give them another chance how many chances do they need look 3 years ago.good job wakefield only turned up a A team or there wud have been plenty more boos around the jjb,but am happy now that mathers is band as we can play alot better without that dip stick