Bird Migrates to france

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
wiggydoran

Bird Migrates to france

Post by wiggydoran »

Greg Bird is set to be unveiled as a Catalans Dragon on Wednesday after the Rugby Football League confirmed they would accept his registration.

The Australian had been due to play for Bradford this season but the deal collapsed because he was refused a visa by the British High Commission.

However, the 25-year-old may still end up playing in Super League after the Dragons decided to make an approach.

Accompanied by his manager Chris Orr, Bird flew to the south of France last week for a tour of the Perpignan club's facilities and to meet with president Bernard Guasch and coach Kevin Walters.

Now the RFL have given the go-ahead to register the player - something they were unable to do when he signed a 12-month deal with the Bulls.

The RFL has indicated that we would accept Greg Bird's registration as a Catalans Dragons player providing all the necessary paperwork is completed by the club," a statement from Red Hall said.

Bird, who was released by NRL outfit Cronulla in January, is thought to have agreed a nine-month contract with the Dragons.

The Catalans are believed to have secured the necessary paperwork from the French authorities and their latest recruit could even make his debut in Saturday's home game against Castleford.

While playing at home will not be a problem, the stand-off may have issues when it comes to away fixtures.

Although the UK Borders Agency have no objection to him playing in France, they say it will be up to individual immigration officers at UK airports to decide whether he is allowed entry into this country.
Taken from sky sports web site.

I think this is really unfair. Catalan Dragons have an unfair advantage when it comes to signing players. The RFL should not accept his registration. If he can't get a visa to play in this country he should not be able to play for a super league team. Either that or he only plays home games!
markill

Re: Bird Migrates to france

Post by markill »

nice thread title!

it does suggest that a rule that allows equal access to signing players would be fairer, but it isn't upto the RFL whether or not Bird gets a visa or not in the UK so i don't know if there is much they can do about it. It would mean overriding French laws/regulations whatever so i don't know how possible it'd be..?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The RFL has no say in this. Once they made SL an multi national competition this was bound to happen.
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

nice thread title!
thanks mark

The RFL has no say in this. Once they made SL an multi national competition this was bound to happen.
CP could they refuse to register him for the competition?

Does any one now if the are exepemt from the overseas quota?
The Catalans Dragons have upset several of their Super League rivals by signing Greg Bird, after he was refused a work permit in England.

Bird was due to sign for Bradford Bulls but his visa application was turned down due to his involvement in an on-going court case back in Australia.

However, Bird had no problem with a visa in France, and the Dragons moved quickly to sign him up - with his registration then accepted by the RFL.

As Bird was unveiled as a Dragons player at a Perpignan press conference, back across the English Channel the news of his signing did not sit well with other Super League clubs.

"Now the Dragons have thrown him a lifeline, the implications are massive," Hull coach Richard Agar told the Hull Daily Mail. "The RFL have changed the landscape of Super League.

"Whilst English clubs have to be cautious about who they recruit because of tighter border controls, the French side are not hindered by this. The RFL's decision could pave the way for several players who want to play in Super League but would normally struggle for a visa to head to France.

"I think the decision makes a mockery of the new border agency rules. I'll be interested to see how he can come over here to play every other week when he isn't allowed in to work here full-time."

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington originally opposed Bird's move to the Bulls, saying the Super League should not be a "dumping ground for other people's problems", and he stands by his comments.

"The fact that it was Bradford was irrelevant," he said. "The comments would have applied to any club he signed for. I said what I wanted to say and I have nothing to add."

Bird could make his Catalans debut against Castleford, and although Tigers boss Terry Matterson has no problems with the Australian playing in Super League, the way it has come about has not gone down well.

"I don't think it's a fair playing field," he said. "I haven't an issue with him being here to play but it smacks of double standards.

"They've found a loophole and good on them. He's a quality player, they've added another quality import to their team."

Catalans coach Kevin Walters has defended his club's actions, saying that the French side had not broken any rules in their signing of Bird.

"I sympathise with the English clubs but we're not doing anything illegal," said Walters.

"It's just that the English government have different regulations with regard to work permits to the French government.

"It's unfortunate for the English clubs to miss out on Greg's services but Greg deserves the opportunity to play rugby league and we're providing an opportunity for him."

Walters believes Bird will have no problems being allowed to play in the UK despite his work permit problems, saying: "We don't anticipate any problems there."
taken from Sky sports!

I think the Catalan Dragons have an unfair advantage. The RFL can level the playing field by refusing his VISA. I bet he gets booed at most SL grounds.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I dont see what the problem is. All credit to Catalans for a nice piece of business. Innocent until proven guilty. Makes no difference if he is found guilty than Feka, pryce or Bailey at leeds for assault.

Good look to Bird hope he makes it.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The Catalans have capitalised on the situation - and why shouldn't they. Bird obviously wants to play, rather than sit around waiting for his court case.

However, surely from a legal point of view; if you can't work in the UK for a UK "company"; then you shouldn't be able to work in UK for a foreign one - so Bird should only be available for home games.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I guess that is being part of the EU though. I would imagine that there are umpteen footballer who play say in the European Cup that would not be given a UK Visa but can play here periodically in competitions.

The most likely route re stopping overseas players etc in the long terms is something tht UEFA and FIFA are trying to push through limiting the number of non English players, I think they call it the 6-5 rule but it is some way away as it will be legally debated / judges etc etc.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Steven Gerrard, Joey Barton, Savage, Cantona, Merson, Diouf.,.. etc... the list goes on... still all play in this country
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame