Rugby League Ancestor

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cools

Rugby League Ancestor

Post by cools »

Hi, i am trying to find any old pics of the Wigan Rugby Club from around 1889-1908, My great grandad played for them, i have already tried the Wigan Warriors Official site, but unfortunatly they told me there archives do not go back that far. His name was James Robinson, could anyone give me any history info or point me in the right direction, would i find any old pics in old papers in Wigan libary,my mum (a big Fan) remembers a team pic of him always hanging on the wall when she was young, so surely must be one somewere.

I apologise now if i am on the wrong topic thread was not sure which one to click on :eh:

Cheers Cools
ancientnloyal

Re: Rugby League Ancestor

Post by ancientnloyal »

Hey
the only picture i could find of that era was the one attatched. Its from the 1904-05 west lancashire cup winning side. Im sure he's on there somewhere. It seems he retired the year before wigan won all four cups with jimmy lathom, berty jenkins, massa johnston and the immortal Lance Todd. Great team, great era.

the pic isnt much but hope it helps.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Hello and welcome to the site :)

I don't know if this is the same person it just says

'J Robinson'
seasons 1896-1902
appearences - 43
trys - 2
goals - 1

hope this helps
:)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

i have a book that may have some pictures in it. I will check it tonight i post the title on here. I think it is called Wigan Rugby League by picture but i will confrim!
cools

Post by cools »

josie andrews wrote:Hello and welcome to the site :)

I don't know if this is the same person it just says

'J Robinson'
seasons 1896-1902
appearences - 43
trys - 2
goals - 1

hope this helps
:)
That will be him, thankyou, he got married in 1905 so i dont think he played then.
cools

Post by cools »

wow Thankyou, i dont think he is in that pic, my mum remembers him being on the back row on the very end left side with a tash, if you find anything in your book(wiggydoran) is this book available in book shops,

thanks again :wink: