Stadium name change coincides with football

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ancientnloyal

Stadium name change coincides with football

Post by ancientnloyal »

I believe that JJB are no longer sponsoring Wigan Athletic next season. The big rumour going round is that whoever the new sponsor is going to be for the Latics, the rights to have the stadium name will be included with that. (Emirates at Arsenal, Reebok at Bolton) I dont think the rugby club will have a say in the matter.

As Whelan has now bought back his health clubs for £70m i'm kinda hoping that there'll be no need afterall.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gillysmyhero

Re: Stadium name change coincides with football

Post by gillysmyhero »

ancientnloyal wrote:I believe that JJB are no longer sponsoring Wigan Athletic next season. The big rumour going round is that whoever the new sponsor is going to be for the Latics, the rights to have the stadium name will be included with that. (Emirates at Arsenal, Reebok at Bolton) I dont think the rugby club will have a say in the matter.

As Whelan has now bought back his health clubs for £70m i'm kinda hoping that there'll be no need afterall.
The stadium will be called the Hyundia stadium thats what i got told some time ago.And the Latics sign a korean player to tap into the korean market.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A&L he is using buying back the fitness clubs to finally get his own name up in lights. They will be called DW rather than JJB.

Not sure a lot of people know but this notion of Mr Market Trader done good is not exactly true. Mrs Whelan comes from a wealthy family and although I cannot remember the name, they owned a very large supermarket/store in the centre of Wigan when supermarkets/stores were far from commonplace.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal wrote:I believe that JJB are no longer sponsoring Wigan Athletic next season. The big rumour going round is that whoever the new sponsor is going to be for the Latics, the rights to have the stadium name will be included with that. (Emirates at Arsenal, Reebok at Bolton) I dont think the rugby club will have a say in the matter.

It's a fair enough right, I'd say; whichever sponsor they get will be paying a lot more than Mecca do for us, simply because of how much more value there is in soccer sponsorship, with all the media coverage it gets.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
gillysmyhero wrote:

The stadium will be called the Hyundia stadium thats what i got told some time ago.And the Latics sign a korean player to tap into the korean market.
Be the dogs bollocks then !
Paul Calf was refused to name a pub The Dogs Bollocks. The Dog & Bollocks was ineligible also. I doubt our stadium will be called that. PC and all that - it leaves out female dogs.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

ancientnloyal wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
gillysmyhero wrote: The stadium will be called the Hyundia stadium thats what i got told some time ago.And the Latics sign a korean player to tap into the korean market.
Be the dogs bollocks then !
Paul Calf was refused to name a pub The Dogs Bollocks. The Dog & Bollocks was ineligible also. I doubt our stadium will be called that. PC and all that - it leaves out female dogs.
The Perfectly Acceptable Sexually Indeterminate Canine's Nether Regions Stadium??
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

doc

Post by doc »

Hyundai seem odds on favourites for new Latics /Stadium sponsor. They signed a Korean International last week.

Whelan's Supermarket in Wigan was one of three he started up while still playing for Blackburn Rovers (think others were in Burnley/Blackburn). He was advised by an older player to invest his earnings in a busines for when his football career was over and was told pubs were a mugs game.

DW made a mint when he sold the Wigan branch to allow for the "old" new bus station (older posters will know what I mean there). He used the proceeds from the sale to buy the JJB sports shop.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

doc wrote:Hyundai seem odds on favourites for new Latics /Stadium sponsor. They signed a Korean International last week.

Whelan's Supermarket in Wigan was one of three he started up while still playing for Blackburn Rovers (think others were in Burnley/Blackburn). He was advised by an older player to invest his earnings in a busines for when his football career was over and was told pubs were a mugs game.

DW made a mint when he sold the Wigan branch to allow for the "old" new bus station (older posters will know what I mean there). He used the proceeds from the sale to buy the JJB sports shop.
That is the one Doc but IIRC it belonged to Mrs Whelan originally.
white elephant

Post by white elephant »

Heard that dave whelan has bought the jjb gyms back and is going to call them DW Fitness. does the DW Stadium get anyone worried??? :doz:
WIGAN TILL I DIE

gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

doc wrote:Hyundai seem odds on favourites for new Latics /Stadium sponsor. They signed a Korean International last week.

I thought he sold Whelans supermarket to Morrisons and that's were he made his money from.Morrisons was there for a good while before it was knocked down to be replaced by the Galleries. Oh God I'm showing my age now i turned 40 two weeks ago.