Match Reaction: Wigan 8 Huddersfield 22

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Match Reaction: Wigan 8 Huddersfield 22

Post by cpwigan »

Just to dd tonight was not about pretty rugby it was a night when strong effective basic RL was what was required. This is supposedly the forte of Noble well tonight we were found wanting and second best so what is the strength of a Noble team.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

GeoffN wrote:Looks like I'm the first one back...OK:

First off, don't be fooled by the scoreline, the better side lost, IMO, and with a bit better luck, and a real referee, we'd have won at a canter. We were inches away from scoring on at least 6 occasions; Roberts twice, Hock, Feca, McIlorum & Leuluai all came close (in fact Roberts' second looked OK from where I was. Couldn't tell with Hock's, but the crowd reaction from the South Stand suggested he'd scored.

Both our tries were out wide, and in that wind can't really blame Pat for missing. By contrast, they were given two penalties right in front of the sticks, and their try was an easy conversion, too. At 10-8, (and two tries to one) it was still very winnable, until we started trying to chase the game and let them in for those two late ones (one of which looked extremely dodgy) that made the scoreline look lopsided. Can't blame Ainscough for missing that kick, either; at that point in the game we had to try and counter-attack rather than concede a drop-out.

Huddersfield came to niggle and spoil, and Bentham let them get away with it all game (which is partly why the fights broke out, IMO.

MoM for me was Hock. He was involved in everything, both in attack and defence.
Sorry Geffn Hudd's were crap & we were worse.We had 4 or 5 sets of six in their half(some when they had 12 men) and couldnt score.Yes Bentham was Crap but so were we.We were Clueless.
JARJAR

Post by JARJAR »

:( 1st time ever I walked off 5 minutes before the end - didn't resort to booing just felt absolutely sickened.The referee was poor ,Huddersfield were poor (actually a set of well groomed professional foulers who know how to spoil a game when a poor ref is in charge)but the real sickener was that we didn't know how to change our game plan to take any advantage of the fact that we had a one man advantage for the final quarter.This shows that BN doesn't have a plan B during the game (other than maybe at half time) and equally doesnt have anybody on the pitch who can see this and instruct the rest of the team.We let an average team come to our ground and take full advantage AGAIN!!!!.This has got to stop as regardless of me and my friends and family having season tickets we aren't going to keep watching loss after loss which is due to poor tactics and lack of pride in playing for the club. :(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well I wasn't there tonight. I was enjoying a birthday present at the Palace Theatre in Manchester the Queen We Will Rock You musical. Seems I saw the far more polished performance.

Obviously I can comment on the game but it is obvious from all the comments Hudds came to slow it down and spoil the game. Nobles comments suggest he is pretty derisory of their approach. Fair enough I won't disagree with him if that is what he meant as I have not liked the way Hudds have played the game in recent seasons.

What I can say though is it is obvious when confronted with a team who does plays this way we clearly have not got the tactical capability to deal with it satisfactorily. Teams who rely on that sort of game should be taken to the cleaners by a good side or at least lose by a couple of tries if conditions are bad. So the fact it was a close game is no consolation as it is just another indication of our lack of a plan B.

Dave
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Having watched a few of Huddersfields' games so far this season, I thought they looked a well coached, good rugby team. Tonight they didn't try to play rugby. If they had played tonight in the manner they have played their last few games they would have stuck 40 points on us.
We are so poor it is now getting laughable. Thank god for the fight, it gave us some excitement.
A measure of how poor and unprofessional we are was highlighted when, with a few minutes left Huddersfield scored meaning we had to chase the game. We couldn't even organise a member of our elite backroom team to run onto the pitch with a kicking tee.

Bring back the Cherry and White pride not this lacklustre rubbish that people are walking away from.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

i have never walked out before the end of any game even when we got beat by Hull KR last year at Craven Park and Dobson had a field day with trys i walked out a few seconds after the whistle but im becoming increasingly annoyed that i could be doing better things on a friday night than put up with that crap

but i must be gluttend for punishment because im going to the derby game and im hoping for a bit of effort at the least other wise another derby day humiliation could be the final staw for many fans

wigan dont deserve 10,000 cheering them on but they need to prove me wrong o and by the way just incase Mr Lenagan or Mr Hogan reads this ...

SACK BRAIN NOBLE

outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Very disappointed with the game last night. Huddersfield came to spoil the game and were allowed to get away with it by the officials. Having said that Wigan were poor at times and shows how bad we are when we couldn't take advantage of them being a man down.
By the way did anyone notice the touch judge on the east stand side 2nd half. When Hansen and Griffin were sin binned, as he was returning to his position on the line, he tapped one of their players on the back as he ran past him and smiled at him. What was that all about? I think the officials spoilt the game in a big way. Bentham seems out of his depth every time he refs, and it was only a matter of time before it all kicked off. I just hope Wigan can pull themselves together for next week and for the Saints game after that. I couldn't cope with another humiliation.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

As a rule of thumb I don't critisise referee decision or use them as a reason for losing a game, because in most games bad choices balance out over the course of a match.

Huddersfield came to spoil and snipe and to their credit executed a supressing game plan very well. Last night though the entire refereeing flavour of the match was rubbish from start to finish. Huddersfield were constantly laying on the tackle and interfering at the play the ball and got away with it all match. Knocked on balls don't shoot out of a ruck at daft angles unless there's a hand in.

About 10 minutes before the mass brawl I predicted a fight, simply becasue Wigan were getting frustrated with the constant slowing tactics that were being allowed. Combined with the lack of a card for Robinsons outrageous professional foul on O'Louglin, the blame for that fight lays squarely at Benthams feet. He lost control of that game and his bloody minded obstenance to penalise Huddersfield made last night one of the dullest, flat spectacles of rugby I can recall at the JJB.

A frustrated Wigan side, poor rugby and even worse refereeing.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

how we didnt score about 4 tries in the first 20 minutes baffles me, our conversion rate was absolutely shocking in attack.

Huddersfield came with exactly the right tactics, they slowed our play the ball down successfully but i think they should of been penalised more for it, after all we got done every time we attempted to slow their ruck play down.

I thought our defence was quite solid personally, a couple of mishaps which led to tries but otherwise it was sound. its our attack which looked flat, im sure wigan do not know how to play in the rain! we seem to be afraid to put the ball up the jumper for a couple a set which would sap energy out of the opposition.

ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Where do you start, the forwards just arent physical enough we have a poor front row who do not dominate the opposition. Hanson is ok albeit defensive, Lockers is a bit more balanced he is a good player and Hock is quality but he is the only one of our back three that consistantly causes defences problems. Leuluai is never a scrumhalf, he was rubbish last night some of his passes were woeful and his kicking game is the worst in Super League. Sam T has been rushed in he is not ready for 80mins at this level, he made some errors of judgement when he had the ball but that is due to his experience, he has great potential and will be a good player. At centre we are struggling, Carmont has had a dip in form and we are playing a second row in the other position. On the wing we have another potential good player in Ainscough but we seem to expect him to be the finished article when clearly he needs a lot more time, Roberts could be quality but doesnt seem interested and needs to get more involved. Riddell needs a pack that competes for 80mins last night we didnt, Feka did well last night, Fielden not so well, Coley should not be getting a shirt he is very poor and has been all season.