Phil Bentham

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Re: Phil Bentham

Post by Sutty »

cpwigan wrote:Huddersfield should never have scored their last try. The short kick off that Wigan took after Huddersfield scored their penultimate try, the Huddersfield player fielded the ball within the 10 yards. The ball has to travel 10 yards before it can be touched by either team and thus Wigan should have received a penalty and then been on the attack.

It would not have made any difference to the result but it is a bad mistake for officials.
I was sat almost directly in line with the kick off and I was watching for this, as I could tell it was going to be close, the ball did just about go 10 yards IMHO. Although the Huddersfield player was within the 10 yard minimum, I think the ball either bounced or hit a hand before the Huddersfield player picked it up IIRC.

ian b

Post by ian b »

if i was as useless at my job as bentham was at his,i would be sacked!!! :D
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

ian b wrote:if i was as useless at my job as bentham was at his,i would be sacked!!! :D
i'd get promoted.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutty wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Huddersfield should never have scored their last try. The short kick off that Wigan took after Huddersfield scored their penultimate try, the Huddersfield player fielded the ball within the 10 yards. The ball has to travel 10 yards before it can be touched by either team and thus Wigan should have received a penalty and then been on the attack.

It would not have made any difference to the result but it is a bad mistake for officials.
I was sat almost directly in line with the kick off and I was watching for this, as I could tell it was going to be close, the ball did just about go 10 yards IMHO. Although the Huddersfield player was within the 10 yard minimum, I think the ball either bounced or hit a hand before the Huddersfield player picked it up IIRC.
Moore caught it direct Sutty. Basically you are not allowed to go in the 10 and touch the ball. He was a yard inside.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I know the rules (that wasn't meant to sound off hand, it's just the way it came out on paper, so to speak) I have played the game.
I'm just convinced that from where I was sat, in line with the kick off, I'm sure it went 10 yards because I was waiting for Bentham to award the penalty to Huddersfield if it didn't go the full 10. That's why I'm so sure of this, because I remember it so vividly.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Sutty wrote:

Moore caught it direct Sutty. Basically you are not allowed to go in the 10 and touch the ball. He was a yard inside.
One foot on the line, and the ball is touched by Moore means he took the ball in less than 10M, penalty to Wigan.
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

I mentioned in another thread on Saturday about the same linesman after the punch up, tapping one of the Huddersfield players on the back and smiling at him as he returned to his line. I think that was a blatent show of unprofessionalism on his part.
Surely the referee and touch judges come as part of a team now, and refs are relying more and more on help from his colleagues, so the whole official package from a game should be on "trial" after such a poor game, not just the ref. Even in Australia with 2 refs in charge wrong decisions are being made, so what chance have we got?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan wrote: Moore caught it direct Sutty. Basically you are not allowed to go in the 10 and touch the ball. He was a yard inside.
The kicker has 3 obligations:

1) Kick the ball in the prescribed manner
2) Kick the ball at least 10 m forwards
3) The ball must land or be collected in the field of play

The ball was kicked correctly, it went forward 10 m (according to one person) and it was collected in the field of play = play on
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrDave wrote:The guy sat next to me pointed out that both lines-men were directly opposite each other on the defensive line when one should have been watching the attacking line. It was about 20 minutes into the second half when an obvious forward pass by Huddersfield was not punished that the lines-man finally realised he was in the wrong position. About a minute later the same lines-man got a call completely wrong, can't remember exactly what it was now but I think he indicated a scrum to Huddersfield after a Huddersfield player had knocked on.
Linesmen? Where you at a football match?

TJs only go with the ruck when play is within 20 m of them or when a kick is expected, e.g. on the last.
sedbergh

Post by sedbergh »

MrDave wrote:The guy sat next to me pointed out that both lines-men were directly opposite each other on the defensive line when one should have been watching the attacking line.
This isn't quite right in Super League where both touch judges are miked up. The referees job is to monitor the play the ball and then after the ball is played a TJ should follow the ball. In any event, the Wigan team hardly made any effort to challenge the lying on by trying to get a quick play-the-ball. Why should we be awarded a penalty when we weren't making any effort to get up? We just allowed it to happen. We are back to blaming the officials when the blame lies at our own doorstep. I accept alot of the points made though, Phil Bentham was certainly inconsistent.