More SL players in the dock for thuggery!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

More SL players in the dock for thuggery!

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Court.html

What's going on with them all?
A court saw graphic video footage today of an "appalling" assault committed by a rugby league star and Iraq veteran.

Hull KR full-back Ben Cockayne, 25, pleaded guilty last July to assault causing actual bodily harm to Kiel Thompson in Normanton, West Yorkshire, in November 2007.
Sutty

Re: More SL players in the dock for thuggery!

Post by Sutty »

The part about him claiming that seeing his friend punched caused him to have a flashback to his time served in Iraq is nothing short of bull poo!
It's possibly the most common excuse used by veterans when they let their tempers get the better of them, and they end up in trouble. How long is it since he was in Iraq? A few years at least. I could understand it if he was still serving in the Army and had only just returned from theatre, but unless he's suffering from PTSD I honestly don't think that this "flashback" can be used as an excuse. Especially considering the amount of time that it is since he served over there. There's no mention of what Corps/regt etc that he was in. I wonder if he was frontline or not?

There are upwards of 50,000 British Army personnel involved in operations in war zones such as Afghanistan and Iraq, can you imagine the state the nation would be in if most of them started suffering "flashbacks" and started beating people up, on their return to these shores?

In no way am I making light of what our boys (and girls) are going through overseas and a lot of them will suffer after effects to some degree or another, but for a soldier to lay into a civilian in a street fight and then claim that he'd had a flashback, some years after he'd been on tour, is farcical IMO.

The RFL and clubs should take a tougher stance against these thugs that are creeping into our game. If they played over in the NRL they'd have probably been suspended until the court case and then either sacked or allowed to play on, depending on the outcome.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Indeed. Remanded in custody. Surely he'll go down if he's on remand?

dawbz

Post by dawbz »

Sutty wrote:Indeed. Remanded in custody. Surely he'll go down if he's on remand?
51 weeks jail term suspended for two years and 240 hours community service, lucky boy me thinks.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Ah, the good old British judicial system. Don't you just love parity? :conf: :angry:

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The CCTV footage of cockayne has been on released and sky sports news just showed it. several kicks, hits and punches to the back of the head.

barbaric he should never play RL again.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame