where is best to go before a home game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cumbria_warrior

where is best to go before a home game

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Been coming to home matches for the last few seasons but dont seem to know anyone there yet, especially as all on here seem to know each other. Where is the best place to go before the game and what stand is best?
cpwigan

Re: where is best to go before a home game

Post by cpwigan »

I never go but plenty from here go into the South Stand Bar, pre match and post match. Pre match the more distant supporters seem to go in a lot. Other than that the JJB does not really have any pubs etc that have developed into pre match supporter drinking havens. Central Park had Wigan Lane and several pubs within yards of the ground.

Josie on here is very friendly to anybody and everybody. Nobby Girl (Gemma) is similarly so. The whole world knows Mike Binder (There are not many cross dresers in Wigan so he's a celebrity). If you go in the South Stand and ask the Riversiders to point you in the direction of say Josie, Mike Binder, From A to B (Guy) then they should be able to do so.

I do not think it matters Stand wise. I suppose going in the South Stand allows you to sit near people you may get to know.
cumbria_warrior

I think just a bit past max's club. :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cumbria_warrior wrote:I think just a bit past max's club. :)
You need to be a season ticket holder to get into the south stand bar these days.

Some home fans go into the the Red Robin, Frankie & Benny's and some go into the gala bingo for a pint. Don't know if you have to be a member or not for that.

Hope to see you sometime :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Orrell_Lad

Post by Orrell_Lad »

If you go in The Stag off the M6 in Orrell pre-match, you will more than likely see me propping the bar up. Not that that is a good thing :cool:
BriH

Post by BriH »

Hi there Cumbrian Warrior!
We (me and the wife) used to travel down to Central Park - from Whitehaven - back in the early '90's. We eventually settled in the Douglas Stand and used to meet up with an oldish bloke and we always had a great time with the Wigan Spectators!
Can't help you with the JJB/ DW Stadium I'm afraid, although we there for the opening matches, then we came to Germany! So I'm reduced to watching from afar but I still love to see Wigan play!
We used to go to Frankie and Benny's? Always had a couple of pies in the Ground.
I'm sure you will soon get among like souls. I always got the impression there was quite a lot of interest in Wigan from Whitehaven - used to see them in the M6 Motorway Cafes. There was one just before Penrith from memory that was great.
I used to get a lot of stick for supporting Wigan from my Dad and the Marras who used to go the Castle pub at the top of Coach Road. This was in the period of Wigan's domination. I just used to smile!
Best of luck from a Marra in Deutschland!!
WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER

Post by WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER »

cumbria warrior where do you live at
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

May seem hard not knowing Wigan but if you get there early enough try the town centre Moon on the water etc... 20 minute walk up a straight road decent atmosphere. Closer to hand Frankie's is ok - not many pubs around the ground tbh so get in the south stand bar if a season ticket holder (or try and walk in)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cumbria_warrior

from millom westcumbria riversider, go to all home games, gonna start a few away games as well I think
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

if i go to a bar before game then id go in champions bar in sports arena
IN WANE WE TRUST