Maurice says

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Maurice says

Post by mrs_carney »

Davico would have had a medical before joinging us wouldnt he? Therefore he must have been fit enough at the time we signed him.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would have thought we must be able to get someone, as we don't need anyone with speed, or skill, or to make play, as we have talent in abundance. All we need is one (or better still 2) big lads to cart the ball forward. For goodness sake, Gateshead have a Fijian international prop who is massive - if they can find one, it MUST be possible for us to find one... we just need someone to run into the likes of Fielden to spare the likes of Beswick having their talent bashed out of them.

I have said it all along - the Farrell deal was appalling business for us - it has meant that we have had to pay his wages for the period of his injury, eating up the salary cap, and then when he would be in a position to play for us, he is elsewhere and we cannot even use the money we save as a consequence.

Even by our recent standards it is the worst piece of business I have ever seen...

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
I would have thought we must be able to get someone, as we don't need anyone with speed, or skill, or to make play, as we have talent in abundance. All we need is one (or better still 2) big lads to cart the ball forward. For goodness sake, Gateshead have a Fijian international prop who is massive - if they can find one, it MUST be possible for us to find one... we just need someone to run into the likes of Fielden to spare the likes of Beswick having their talent bashed out of them.

I have said it all along - the Farrell deal was appalling business for us - it has meant that we have had to pay his wages for the period of his injury, eating up the salary cap, and then when he would be in a position to play for us, he is elsewhere and we cannot even use the money we save as a consequence.

Even by our recent standards it is the worst piece of business I have ever seen...
Excellent post if I may say so. The point about the Farrell deal is spot on. The club are still paying him until June 1st so it eats into the salary cap and means we are stuffed at signing anyone in the mean time.

Farrell should be fit to play by May so we will have a fit player who we can't/won't play who is costing rhe club money.

It is a total farce.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
I'll bite as well, even if a bit late!
The only panic buy was Guisset, and he's turned out ok.
Davico was signed before he got the original injury, and was supposedly cleared by the docs after the injury, before the signing was eventually confirmed.
Yes, the Davico situation is no different to the Hock and O'Loughlin injuries in my book, really bad luck.

I reckon Davico would have gone well for us this season and it is so annoying it all came to nothing.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
I would have thought we must be able to get someone, as we don't need anyone with speed, or skill, or to make play, as we have talent in abundance. All we need is one (or better still 2) big lads to cart the ball forward.
No, no, there's much more to prop play than that, or we might as well get RU props. A really big guy won't be fit enough to keep getting back in the defensive line, will be too easy to sidestep, and won't even last 20 minutes.
A Craig Smith or Andy Platt clone would do nicely, though.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

players like andy platt only come once in a life time :D :musi:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mrs Carney, no Davico picked up his original pectoral muscle injury after he signed for us, the lunacy was letting him extend his contract to two years a week after he got to Wigan because he liked it so much!
I know we are biased on this site but would anyone of us want to sign for a further year after being in Sydney for only a week???
The real lunacy of course with our injury record over the past couple of seasons was signing a prop who was renowned at his Aussie club for being consistently injured for the past 2 seasons before he signed for Wigan.
Just remember I forecast that he would fall down the aeroplane steps at Manchester getting off the plane and would never play for us, I wasn't far out in that forecast at all, just a couple of minutes. :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

mrs_carney posted:
we never seem to have oodles of money under any circumstances.
I'm glad betts and maurice have decided not to go panic buying we dont want any old crap
Could not agree more but with 20 min to go at Widness id have taken any old crap.

We need to plan for next season throughly. Id rather sacrifice this season and get no more injuries and sign 2-3 good players than rush in sign anover the hill player and then get more injuries.

Nevermind what happens now this season i can not see us winning the SL we might get something out of the CC but that is remote unless we get as many fit bodies back soon.

At least next season Hock and O'Loughlin will be back. We just need 1 good back and 2 class forwards.

Onething though was our panic buy this season not our best. Guisett has been our most consistant player this season.

Maybe Mo is better at this panic buying than when he goes looking for players.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
Exiled Wiganer posted:

Excellent post if I may say so. The point about the Farrell deal is spot on. The club are still paying him until June 1st so it eats into the salary cap and means we are stuffed at signing anyone in the mean time.

Farrell should be fit to play by May so we will have a fit player who we can't/won't play who is costing rhe club money.

It is a total farce.
---------------------------------------------------
We should have fired him when the deal was done or find a way of getting him off the cap. This deal has been for the benefit of two parties. Faz and the RFU we get held back and get him fit. RFU should at least fit the medical bills if nothing else.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

GeoffN posted:
Exiled Wiganer posted:
I would have thought we must be able to get someone, as we don't need anyone with speed, or skill, or to make play, as we have talent in abundance. All we need is one (or better still 2) big lads to cart the ball forward.
No, no, there's much more to prop play than that, or we might as well get RU props. A really big guy won't be fit enough to keep getting back in the defensive line, will be too easy to sidestep, and won't even last 20 minutes.
A Craig Smith or Andy Platt clone would do nicely, though.
What do you meann clone Craig Smith would do nicely now. No we get rid think he is over the hill, Hes the best prop weve had for years and last season at times carried the pack.