Passionate Wigan coach compared to a good Aussie coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Passionate Wigan coach compared to a good Aussie coach

Post by Sutty »

I'm just sat here wondering how much difference there would be between the club having a proud and passionate Wigan coach in comparison to a good Aussie coach, who is up to speed with all the latest coaching methods from down under?

I know everyone's (well most anyway) dream is to have a coaching partnership of something like Edwards and Faz. There's no doubt that they would demand and get the team playing with a very good level of pride in the cherry and white. But just how far would that passion and enthusiasm for your home town club go when it comes to a long season and getting results every week? I can't see there being too many players who would put in a performance of the like that Pryce and Co. did against Catalans and not getting the "hairdryer" treatment from Edwards or Faz. Look how much passion the Kiwi's played with during the World Cup, it's no coincidence that this was, in part, down to having Ruben Wiki coming on the pitch and barking instructions as a water carrier, or offering praise and encouragement when required.

Then on the other hand there's the prospect of luring a good Australian coach over to take over from Nobby. A coach who would transform the style of play that is dished up each week. A coach who can adapt his teams tactics mid-way through a match when things aren't going our way. I think the last two games have been perfect examples. Against Saints we dominated large periods of the game, made it over the game line consistently and dominated the collision. Yet we couldn't find that last killer move that would see us score more tries. Yet Saints had 3 opportunities all match, they took them all and ended up winning. Then yesterday at Catalans we had a good opening 20 mins or so, then as soon as the Catalans forwards got into gear they just steam rollered us. Then what do we do in the second half? Play exactly the same tactics and end up getting mullered, resulting in countelss threads about how poor certain players etc. etc.

I honestly believe that the majority of our players (as I have mentioned in another thread) are good enough to play for Wigan. When comparing the team sheets against Stains last Thursday, we've certainly got what looks like a stronger team. Our team is, IMO, just having their natural ability coached out of them. A prime example is young Sam Tomkins, when he came on against Harlequins he was a revelation. Then in the next few games after that he's continued to toy with defences and regularly test them.
However, in the last couple of games he's been less conspicuous than in his previous games this season. I'm convinced that this is because he's being told to change his style of play to fit in with the first team and not play the same style as he has done for however long in the academy etc.

I await the responses from the usual suspects, :D usually very good, I may add.

cpwigan

Re: Passionate Wigan coach compared to a good Aussie coach

Post by cpwigan »

The pride/passion factor would see immediate results. It is the basis for sucessful teams in any sport. Maybe Edwards / Faz could go for stints in Aus. Edwards has a brilliant relationship wwith Bennett.

I just cannot see Edwards coming back before he has done a Lions coaching stint. Can we wait? Faz could be lured more easily I would guess.

Based on your thoughts I am not a Wane for coach type that some shout out etc but in a short spell I think he wold get the first team playing with the right attitude. He seems to do that well with the reserves.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think Wane (as an example) would have a short term effect and improve results but longer term we need to get some more modern ideas on board. Wane would benefit form that as much as the players as well. Wane would be the ideal caretaker for the rest of this season IMO.

As caretaker he would not be under the same pressure either.

The dream coach is Edwards because not only would the pride be there but he would also IMO make sure he was technically up to date.

Dave
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Not to mention that edwards is a defence man, he thinks about stopping tries first then scoring them, one of the reason stains are doing so well is the ethos they have in defence they never give up and as such its so difficult to score against them, further to that even if you manage to score it takes so much out the team your not likely to get another quickfire try. One of our major problems is we hold out for 30 mins then concede 3 in 10.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If we sack Noble then Wane as a caretaker makes sense to me. I do not think he would want it permanently anyway. Ellery as a caretaker might be an option too.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

cpwigan wrote:If we sack Noble then Wane as a caretaker makes sense to me. I do not think he would want it permanently anyway. Ellery as a caretaker might be an option too.
I made this same call (Shaun Wane) after the Huddersfield game. He is from the same mould as Mike Greg, and knows how to get the best out of his youngsters.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Y not av a top aussie coach and a passionate Wigan assistant coach and a few ex players helping out with certain parts ov training
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

phil vivers as beena a assistant for a long time???? is it not time 4 him to step up.

persnally myself i would like to see Adrian Lam and Wane has his assistant
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Here goes my replacement for Noble would be Terry Matteson some will say that he has done nothing at Cas .they got relegated and then bounced back into SL with no relegation slowly building a team now they are in 5th place .With the players that are here at Wigan i think he would get the best out of them.