Ainscough & Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

Re: Ainscough & Tompkins

Post by turf »

cpwigan wrote: No Turf I do not. Shaun went to Thomas Moore (spelling?) so I never came across him. I heard plenty of comments about his so called personality. Personally, I believe every professional sportsman has to be confident inwardly or outwardly. Shaun is a bubbly young man who lives for his RL as far as I know. Some people perceive that wrongly IMO. I think exuberance is frowned upon in this country. Stupidly so IMO. As long as players remain dedicated and deliver on the pitch whether they are loud / quiet whatever is not important.
Sorry about the little mix up cpwigan, I just thought you knew him that's all. So he should live for his RL, that is a right call.

Ainscouhg is definately not quite on the pitch which in my opinion is a good thing.
pedro

Post by pedro »

OAM wrote:Turf

we agree the lad can only get better

is he really 5 foot 8

i am 5 foot 7 and he was shorter than me
Im sure sky said he was 5 foot 10 during the saints game
turf

Post by turf »

OAM wrote: is he really 5 foot 8

i am 5 foot 7 and he was shorter than me
Yes he is 5 foot 8, according to the official Warriors site.

I don't think he is any smaller than 5 foot 8, but, hey, I have been wrong before.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

turf wrote:
OAM wrote: Ainscough will always be suseptable unber the high balls bombed to him out wide as he is only a small lad but he will get better and better as time goes by. You can see when he plays he gives 100% and that is all i and many more will ask of him
He does always give 100% and that should be :eusa2:

He will also get better I think under the hgh ball where you say OAM that he is suceptable.

Yes, I know he is only 5 foot 8, but I think under the high ball, that he will get better.
Very true OAM. There are ways around it but if he faces an Israel Falau he's never going to win that aerial battle.

Crucially, the better the team plays with the ball the easier it becomes to defend and unless we get a roll on with a fast POTB , half break, no halfback Sam or whoever is able to run at defences. They would be ill advised to do so on the back of forwards not punching hole / making big yards.
turf

Post by turf »

cpwigan wrote: Very true OAM. There are ways around it but if he faces an Israel Falau he's never going to win that aerial battle.

Crucially, the better the team plays with the ball the easier it becomes to defend and unless we get a roll on with a fast POTB , half break, no halfback Sam or whoever is able to run at defences. They would be ill advised to do so on the back of forwards not punching hole / making big yards.
How do you know this cpwigan? We haven't seen Ainscough up against Falau yet.
ashtonned

Post by ashtonned »

I can see Ainscough and Tomkins being dropped anytime now by Noble. He needs new scapegoats and these will never be older players that deserve to be dropped, players like Bailey, but will always be the younger players.

That said Ainscough and Tomkins are begining to tread the same path with some fans that the likes of Ashton and Goulding did. They were seen as world beaters and superstars initially with their performances blown out of all proportion. This was partly because they were 19 year olds just starting out and in truth these performances although decent/good were no where as good as some were making out. However now the shine is begining to fade and the same fans want them dropped for playing much the same as they were initially.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true Ashton. I have said all along it is a miracle Sam and Shaun have done what they have in the wrong positions and yes they will make mistakes but if they are stood by then they are likely to get better than they will if dropped etc. Just as Goulding would have.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

He's already thinking that way, if his comments on the BBC site are anything to go by:
"Some of those younger blokes were looking a bit fatigued, mentally not physically, so we'll need to take a look at that.
He must have been watching a different game to me. The few that were still full of running were the younger ones.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I think that the youngster thing is a product of the salary cap and will become much more apparent in the next few years. In an ideal world you would be able to bring your youth through gradually giving them some first team time and let them work on their mistakes. The way the salary cap is structured and the way Noble works meant that Ainscough and Tomkins weren't used last year when it would have clearly have benefited them. Its much easier to do this in a winning team as Leeds have shown and their young players can look great. The problem is when they end up getting picked week in week out but their flair they showed in the reserves gets suppresed as the more experienced players take control. The youth that were once great players suddenly become average players in the team and this can quickly affect their attitude to playing. The creative young players need to be given positions of responsibility early on in their careers to be able to develop their skills. Players like kevin Brown, Tomkins etc will only thrive if they are allowed to do this and I think it is a problem in Super League in general but Wigan in particular that we don't allow this to happen.

One thing that was clear watching the Leeds v Bradford game is that the young players didn't know what to do when they were behind and needed to fight for a victory, they have been brought in to regular first team rugby very quickly and Leeds have been praised for it.. But how many of these 'amazing' young players will go downhill like the Marcus St Hilaire's and Graham Holroyds of the past?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Bear

Post by Bear »

What i dont understand...

We have a 6 ft 6 bricky out on that wing, why isnt he dropping back to take the high ball.

Being fair to him he hasnt really shone.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!