Dedication

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Dedication

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews ... 01071.html
It's a transformation he credits to a dedication to fitness and diet while completing a human performance course that has led to him starting his own business.

"When I did my HPC I really took the nutritional side of things on board," Friend said. "It's really helped me with my football. I feel a lot fitter, stronger and healthier, and a lot of the other boys have now jumped on board.

"A lot of them used to laugh at me but I'm not the only one that measures his food any more. They're all looking at everything they eat differently now."

While most people eat three meals a day, Friend eats six or seven smaller ones. "We all need to eat every two to three hours," he said. "If you do that you'll find that you don't need to eat as many carbohydrates."
Shaun1967

Re: Dedication

Post by Shaun1967 »

It's not just in Australia.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/2 ... MUNCH.html

I just hope Mark Riddell doesn't read this.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

That diet is rubbish. Your telling me he got to 17 stone without a clue on diet ?

And getting up so many times in the night is also a load of rubbish. Even bodybuilders dont do this. Maybe getting up once and having 1 protein shake, but not so many times.

Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Without sounding too patronising Nathan, I'm pretty sure they (the professional sports people) have a much better idea of what they are doing than you do.

How do you know that it isn't true? Dedication and motivation are very powerful tools

Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

nathan_rugby wrote:That diet is rubbish. Your telling me he got to 17 stone without a clue on diet ?

And getting up so many times in the night is also a load of rubbish. Even bodybuilders dont do this. Maybe getting up once and having 1 protein shake, but not so many times.
I would argue that many people who weigh 17 stone or above don't have much of an idea on diet.

I have a Masters Degree in Clinical Engineering where unfortunately we only touched mildly on nutrition. Maybe someone with more experience in this field can enlighten us as to whether these two people from opposites sides of the globe really have made it up?
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

A regular intake of calories and proteins, through smaller meals, will get far better results than that of someone who just has 3 large meals a day. For a start, the insulin that is produced when food is eaten is spread more evenly throughout the day. Because insulin (along with creatine) is the transport for nutrients around the body and to the essential organs, tissues etc. it is much more effective when it is being released slowly and continuously throughout the day.

Metabolism is increased as a result of regular meals, hence not as many calories are required to allow the body to perform to optimum efficiency. If a protein shake is taken as a supplement, it may be harder for the body to process the protein efficiently because of the sudden overload of nutrients that it has to transport to wherever they are most needed within the body, thus the athlete doesn't get as much benefit from the one big shake as he would if he had two or three smaller shakes throughout the day. Everybodies physiology is different though, so this may not and isn't always going to be the case.
In the case of Dowes, he was talking about the intake of carbs (calories) for a certain period leading up to the saints game, this was probably because if the carbs are taken in every few hours leading up to the game, then the body can process the calories and store the energy more efficiently. Have you ever had a plateful of pasta and felt full of energy afterwards, then after an hour or so you are left feeling lethargic? That's because certain foods are broken down quickly and the insulin (I think) transports the nutrients around the body and it results in a sudden burst of energy as the carbs are distributed. Unfortunatley this energy "hit" doesn't last for very long, therefore if you take in the proper sorts of carbs that will take longer to break down, then you will be able to build up a level of energy that will be more beneficial and will sustain a longer period of exercise.
The fact that he's 17 stone has little to do with it, he'll have built up a lot of that weight over years of training and his natural bone density and muscle mass will have contributed to that. Obviously, a 17 stone body is going to require more energy to keep it going, in the same way as a 6 litre Aston Martin Engine needs more fuel than a citroen 2 cv.

As someone who was a PTI in the Armed Forces as well as a qualified civilian fitness instructor, we used to tell the squaddies and civilians alike that a balanced diet, spread out over 6 or 7 meals a day, is of a far greater advantage than one that relies on a heavy intake of carbs or proteins in a large meal.
Eat light, eat often (as long as it's the correct food stuffs) is a phrase that I used to use.

Granted, getting up at all hours is taking things to the extreme but as I mentioned dedication and motivation are powerful tools. Weighing meals is no new thing and the benefits are there to be seen in the case of Friend.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Friend is certainly reaping the rewards and Dowes strikes me as a very fit big man too. Personally, I am just impressed that they both display such a desire to improve etc. It is also interesting how teammates start to follow suit as in Friend's example. Ellery being tea total saw other Wigan players follow suit too.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

cpwigan wrote:Friend is certainly reaping the rewards and Dowes strikes me as a very fit big man too. Personally, I am just impressed that they both display such a desire to improve etc. It is also interesting how teammates start to follow suit as in Friend's example. Ellery being tea total saw other Wigan players follow suit too.
Andy Greg not being one of them :wink: :lol:

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutty wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Friend is certainly reaping the rewards and Dowes strikes me as a very fit big man too. Personally, I am just impressed that they both display such a desire to improve etc. It is also interesting how teammates start to follow suit as in Friend's example. Ellery being tea total saw other Wigan players follow suit too.
LoL no.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

cpwigan wrote:
Sutty wrote:
LoL no.
Gary Connolly also tried to model himself on Hanley :D

WALLY LEWIS