Now heres a question

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Now heres a question

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Like most of my posts that are a question i am playing devils advocate here so this is not 'my' view just 'a' view

Would it have been better if we had been relagated the year we came so close. Now avoid saying no straight away and just think about it for a second. A lot of our signings i feel are quick fix style solutions to a much bigger problem and as of such dont work, tim smith for example. We are trying to run before we can walk if you will due to the massive expectation around Wigan ironically its this expectaion that grows and intensifies with every loss.

Had we been relegated well for one Barrett wouldn't have played for us so we would have been denied seeing a world class player at wigan however sam, may have been brought through earlier and got a full season behind him. Feilden wouldn't be here MASSIVE BONUS! and the team would have featured more young players and less average aussies on a big wage, then by the time we got back to SL which would of been the year after we would have found the good youngsters from the poor built a decent squad and be ready to add to it in the places that needed it.

To gain back the money we lost the PR machine could do massive work on "the rise of the phoenix" style season and how the warriors are back and hunting success. No dead wood in the team or at least less and a firm grasp on which youngsters could work for us and which wouldn't.

i re-iterate this isn't my view but certainly provides a different outlook?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
GeoffN

Re: Now heres a question

Post by GeoffN »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:Like most of my posts that are a question i am playing devils advocate here so this is not 'my' view just 'a' view

Would it have been better if we had been relagated the year we came so close. Now avoid saying no straight away and just think about it for a second.
No.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Yes
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

NO
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

What rubbish!! no way would we be better off, we may not have been given a franchise it wasnt set in stone
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:
Would it have been better if we had been relagated the year we came so close.
No.
Now avoid saying no straight away and just think about it for a second.
Didn't need a second.
A lot of our signings i feel are quick fix style solutions to a much bigger problem and as of such dont work, tim smith for example. We are trying to run before we can walk if you will due to the massive expectation around Wigan ironically its this expectaion that grows and intensifies with every loss.
What makes you think it would have been any different had we gone down and then been fortunate enough to get a franchise?
Had we been relegated well for one Barrett wouldn't have played for us so we would have been denied seeing a world class player at wigan however sam, may have been brought through earlier and got a full season behind him.
He could also have just left as could several of the young players for other SL outfits.
Feilden wouldn't be here MASSIVE BONUS! and the team would have featured more young players and less average aussies on a big wage, then by the time we got back to SL which would of been the year after we would have found the good youngsters from the poor built a decent squad and be ready to add to it in the places that needed it.
You can only say not signing Fielden would have been a good thing with Hindsight. Had he kept his form of 2006 we would have been much further up the league in 2007,8 and now.
To gain back the money we lost the PR machine could do massive work on "the rise of the phoenix" style season and how the warriors are back and hunting success. No dead wood in the team or at least less and a firm grasp on which youngsters could work for us and which wouldn't.
I think you forget the fact we would have lost the Sky money and it is also possible IL may not have wanted to buy into an NL1 outfit with all the investment it takes to get such a team competitive to SL level once again.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

and put up with the sts fans calling us sorry a big

NO ###

we may not of got a franchise as well ,dont say yes we would we are wigan look what they did to Mighty Widnes
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

No

technically we did finish 7th... which was adequate enough compared to the season before.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No. Relegation would have led to every player young and old being released.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fair enough to the comments posted, as i said not something i actually thought myself just trying to open up a forum of debate but it seems its a pretty solid no from people which i would have to agree with.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure