Trent Barrett

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Re: Trent Barrett

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

Thankyou Eccy, most people make out he was a superstar but he AINT! Good player yes, but doesn't make a team by himself and i do not believe it would have made ANY difference to our season..... :conf:
Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

ian b wrote:Bo----ks,Barrett is by far the best number six we have had in more than ten years and i believe with him in the side we would have been up there.It wasnt just how good he was as a player,he also was a good leader and if anyone disputes this name me a better standoff that has played at wigan in the last few years.
Thats the problem. He's been the best of a bad bunch but no were near what he should have been
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If he'd never played for us we would probabley be a better side by now, all he did was paper over the cracks, all Trent did was put off the inevitable, also i still don't get why many fans hail him as the messiah, he was good but he wasn't amazing, it took him a third of the season to get going that first year, yet not a word said against him (yet Roberts & Riddell get slagged of most games for exactly the same crack), in his second season he wasn't as good as he was in his first, if Trent had been here during the golden years i doubt he would have even got a game.
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

medlocke wrote:If he'd never played for us we would probabley be a better side by now, all he did was paper over the cracks, all Trent did was put off the inevitable, also i still don't get why many fans hail him as the messiah, he was good but he wasn't amazing, it took him a third of the season to get going that first year, yet not a word said against him (yet Roberts & Riddell get slagged of most games for exactly the same crack), in his second season he wasn't as good as he was in his first, if Trent had been here during the golden years i doubt he would have even got a game.
I agree..... :eusa2:
Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk
ragman

Post by ragman »

Reevezie 2.0.0.8 wrote:
medlocke wrote:If he'd never played for us we would probabley be a better side by now, all he did was paper over the cracks, all Trent did was put off the inevitable, also i still don't get why many fans hail him as the messiah, he was good but he wasn't amazing, it took him a third of the season to get going that first year, yet not a word said against him (yet Roberts & Riddell get slagged of most games for exactly the same crack), in his second season he wasn't as good as he was in his first, if Trent had been here during the golden years i doubt he would have even got a game.
Please don't talk such rubbish. Maybe he did get talked up a bit, but he was as good as any stand-off that's played for us in the last 30 years.

In the 'golden years' he would have been even better - playing behind decent packs and supplying world class backlines.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

ragman wrote:
Reevezie 2.0.0.8 wrote:
Please don't talk such rubbish. Maybe he did get talked up a bit, but he was as good as any stand-off that's played for us in the last 30 years.

In the 'golden years' he would have been even better - playing behind decent packs and supplying world class backlines.

I agree, I think Trent would find a place in any team.
The reason I opened this thread was to discuss the implications it may have had on Sam Tompkins' future.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
ian b

Post by ian b »

well said ragman its about time someone spoke sense
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Shaun1967 wrote:
mike binder wrote:if trent was playing we would be in the top 4 end of
Wishful thinking. We never held down a top 4 place when he was here.
cpwigan wrote:Yes we would. Tommy could have played 9, Sam at 7 on the left his preferred side and Trent on the right. No Piggy.
They could have played here but quite simply they wouldn't. Noble doesn't have any foresight.
Personally, I think we have a been a better team with O'loughlin in the second row, and Trent at 13 guiding Sam at stand off. This simply wouldn't happen under a coach who is too stuck in his ways.

As I said previously, I was gutted when he left, however had he stayed we wouldn't be seeing Sam Tompkins this season and perhaps not in cherry and white in the future.
So True Shaun,
Why oh why did Noble not play Baz at 13 to bring young Sam on. Sam has so much ability and with no better man to learn the game from than TB.
Noble has had no foresight, and never seems to look to the future.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Shaun1967 wrote:
mike binder wrote:if trent was playing we would be in the top 4 end of
Wishful thinking. We never held down a top 4 place when he was here.
cpwigan wrote:Yes we would. Tommy could have played 9, Sam at 7 on the left his preferred side and Trent on the right. No Piggy.
They could have played here but quite simply they wouldn't. Noble doesn't have any foresight.
Personally, I think we have a been a better team with O'loughlin in the second row, and Trent at 13 guiding Sam at stand off. This simply wouldn't happen under a coach who is too stuck in his ways.

As I said previously, I was gutted when he left, however had he stayed we wouldn't be seeing Sam Tompkins this season and perhaps not in cherry and white in the future.
remind me were we finished last seasson mmmmmmmmm was it 4th
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:lol: Barrett was the most talented player we have had since Faz. I cannot be anybody can describe as anything less than an outstanding player. You do not play and start in the NRL, Origin, for Australia and be anything but a really talented player.

I hark to the great days but he was as good as Steve Ella and would have partnered Shaun Edwards with Botica never moving from the wing. He is that good.

Ironic that those who played v him rate him far more highly than many of his own fans.

Gullible? IL slagged him off at the fans forum. Wrongly. Some fans started to believe such nonsense. He gave you the fans some fantastic moments, games like the Bradford one that will be etched in fans memories forever. He also rescued Wigan RLFC after IL made his ricket at the fans forum. Barrett got the team to play again, got things running again and he taught many youngsters far more than eith Noble or IL ever have.

Wigan fans owe Trent Barrett an awful lot but when you are history they scream adulation for existing players putting a couple of efforts in.