Referees And Video Referees Hit The Headlines Again!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
turf

Referees And Video Referees Hit The Headlines Again!

Post by turf »

Two coaches unhappy with various referees all ready this weekend according to The Sun Newspaper:

Firstly:

John Kear became the second Super League coach to criticise a referee at the Magic Weekend at Murrayfield.

The Wakefield boss was unhappy video referee Richard Silverwood disallowed Dale Ferguson’s second-half touchdown as his men went down to a 32-16 defeat against Bradford.

The Wildcats trailed 20-6 at the time and, although they eventually fought back to 20-16, Bradford blew them away with two tries in the last six minutes to secure the points.

But Kear was left scratching his head as to why Ferguson was ruled to be in an offside position before he set off to ground Danny Brough’s kick, following on from Salford coach Shaun McRae’s comments after the opening game of the weekend.

Kear said:
“I was very upset with the video referee’s decision on Dale Ferguson.

“You can make offside look offside if you look at any camera angle.

“For me, when the boot touched the ball, Dale Ferguson was onside so that was a very upsetting one, because he would have scored and we would have got on a bit of a roll and so on.
Secondly:

Shaun Mcrae was left fuming after a refereeing cock-up ruined Salford's comeback hopes.

Harlequins prop Danny Ward got away with a glaring knock-on in the build-up to Luke Dorn's match-sealing try - just when the Londoners were clinging to an 18-10 lead in this Millennium Magic opener.

Referee Gareth Hewer and his touchjudges both missed the forward touch - and the decision could not be referred to the video referee as it happened at the previous play-the-ball.

McRae raged: "
It was one of the worst non-decisions ever.

"He just lost the ball - and what staggers me is that a referee and two touchjudges cannot see it.

"All I need is one pair of eyes out of three to see that. It's not like it was a little knock-on in the tackle.

"Our guys don't deserve that. I'm not suggesting that, at 18-10 we were going to win the game but, at 24-10, you can't win the game. It's really hard to swallow."
The second decision sounds a disgrace. Did anyone see it. What is everyones take onn these two controversial decisions.

I think Richard Silverwood got the decision wrong and should have given a try on benefit of the doubt.

The Gareth Hewer decision sounds an absolute clanger.
ancientnloyal

Re: Referees And Video Referees Hit The Headlines Again!

Post by ancientnloyal »

Thirdly, Ganson had a nightmare underperformance in the Wigan Saints match... Wigan won?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
turf

Post by turf »

I personall didn't think he was that bad, bar two decisions, as you will see on another thread.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

the danny ward one was a bad mistake. he dropped the ball as he went to play it. wasn't like it was a small knock on as he placed it on the ground, he dropped it from about knee high. we saw it from the stand and expected it to be pulled up.
turf

Post by turf »

yoda warrior wrote:the danny ward one was a bad mistake. he dropped the ball as he went to play it. wasn't like it was a small knock on as he placed it on the ground, he dropped it from about knee high. we saw it from the stand and expected it to be pulled up.
That was Gareth Hewer I think.