20 man squads

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warrior till i die

20 man squads

Post by warrior till i die »

Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos have both named their 20-man squads for the engage Super League showdown on Friday.

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos, JJB Stadium, Friday April 15

Wigan 20-man squad: Radlinski, Dallas, Vaealiki, Brown, Aspinwall, Orr, Moran, Seu Seu, Newton, Guisset, Wild, Hansen, Tickle, Godwin, Hargreaves, Colbon, Allen, Beswick, Melling, Coyle.

Leeds 20-man squad: Mathers, Calderwood, Walker, Senior, Bai, McGuire, Burrow, Ward, Bailey, McDermott, Lauitiiti, Sinfield, Dunemann, Poching, McDonald, Jones-Buchanan, Botham, Scruton, McKenna, Smith.

looking at this it looks like the return of moran :D And if dennis carrys on selecting them in the way they will be playing it means that wild will be at second row? :doz: interesting.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
DaveO

Re: 20 man squads

Post by DaveO »

warrior till i die posted: And if dennis carrys on selecting them in the way they will be playing it means that wild will be at second row? :doz: interesting.
What is less interesting, well down right annoying in fact is that it woild also mean Brown in the centre and Aspy on the wing.

Aspy is too slow for a winger and much more effective at centre. Brown isn't a centre either and isn't big enough.

Why play these two out of position when he could put Aspy in the centre and Colbon who has real pace on the wing?

That would mean dropping Brown to the bench but that is no bad thing as having him to come on would be an asset.

I also hope he plays Hargreaves on the bench with Godwin and Allen (and as I said, Brown) as Leeds a re a big side.

Dave
GazzL82

Post by GazzL82 »

DaveO posted:
What is less interesting, well down right annoying in fact is that it woild also mean Brown in the centre and Aspy on the wing.

Aspy is too slow for a winger and much more effective at centre. Brown isn't a centre either and isn't big enough.

Why play these two out of position when he could put Aspy in the centre and Colbon who has real pace on the wing?

That would mean dropping Brown to the bench but that is no bad thing as having him to come on would be an asset.

I also hope he plays Hargreaves on the bench with Godwin and Allen (and as I said, Brown) as Leeds a re a big side.

Dave
having seen kevin brown and aspi do pretty decent jobs of keeping keith senior and calderwood quiet the past couple of times we've played leeds i think dennis is playing the percentages with the two of them teamed up out wide
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

We can debate the back line but at least Denis looks as if he is moving Wild up, which is what we all want. We need Wild to be effective in the pack now, then we on this board can start to sort the backs out :wink:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That sounds much more like it to me, as long as key players are fit. My slight preference would be for Brown and Colbon, but Aspinwall does at least generally manage to get in people's way quite effectively. If only we had a coupld of more big lads we could be a competitive side...
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It seems a bit strange that less than two weeks after he announced that Wild would remain a three-quarter he seems to have changed his mind and stuck him in the pack.

Personally I think this is a good move as he adds a bit of size and some experience, although I would have prefered him to make this switch last week (at least). On the down side, Wild was a good centre - not the best, but on of the best options in that position at teh club at the moment. I am supprised that Asp hasn't got his centre position back.

I guess these changes are all becuase Betts doesn't want to drop Brown to the bench. He's going to have three half-backs and a hooker on the field if Moran is fit so one has to play in the centres. This means dropping a centre, or pushing someone onto the wing - and Wild is not a winger. I think denis is trying to get the most experienced side out on the field without being too concerned about their best positions. Probably not a bad idea against Leeds? :conf:

Personally, I'd go for Newton in the second row and Wild/Asp in the three-quarters. Godwin would start at hooker. with Beswick and Brown dropping to the bench and Hansen at loose. If Moran is not fit Brown steps into the halves with Orr. I think this would give us the size right accross the pitch that we are going to need against the Rhinos.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

It's not just size that we'll struggle against - the right hand side of the pitch is going to be short of pace, and Calderwod & Bai aren't slow! I can't see Aspi outpacing either of them, whereas we've seen what Liam can do!
I'd still play Aspi at centre inside Colbon, and have Brown on the bench as cover for Moran or Orr, neither of whom are fully fit.