reserve game last Friday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
dave t

reserve game last Friday

Post by dave t »

I went to watch the reserves last Friday against Saints, I have to say I enjoyed the game very much. Can anyone tell me who played number 6 (stand off)He looked a tremendous prospect.
MrDave

Re: reserve game last Friday

Post by MrDave »

Number 6 for Wigan was the one and only Mark Flanagan.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

dave t wrote:I went to watch the reserves last Friday against Saints, I have to say I enjoyed the game very much. Can anyone tell me who played number 6 (stand off)He looked a tremendous prospect.
There's an excellent match report in the news section of this site, written by our very own reporter...
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Flangan is a bit of a strange case, Noble brought him over from Bradford when he took over at Wigan most likely because Noble has some connection to Flanagan, Nephew, god-son etc but most Bradford fans did rate him as a very good stand off.

When Flanagan arrived at Wigan he said he wanted to play loose forward and not stand off. He spent most of his reserve career so far playing loose forward and not being particularly impressive but by the sounds of things stand off seems to bring out the best in him.

A few more reserve games at stand off to see how he goes in that position and then loan him out to a team who need a stand off. No point loaning him out to a team if he is going to sit in there reserves.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Perhaps Flanngan shows the value of a lengthy loan period. Whilst we as fans may enjoy seeing the academy / reserve teams victorious results are not overly important. Producing future first team players is the be all and end all.

Ben Davies will be going to Leigh on loan soon.

I would personally be happy to see several more follow suit. Flannagan, I think we will lose. I just hope the Johnson rumours are just that. I have said for 2 years that Wigan do not need to sign a back rower for another decade.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Perhaps Flanngan shows the value of a lengthy loan period. Whilst we as fans may enjoy seeing the academy / reserve teams victorious results are not overly important. Producing future first team players is the be all and end all.

I would personally be happy to see several more follow suit. Flannagan, I think we will lose. I just hope the Johnson rumours are just that. I have said for 2 years that Wigan do not need to sign a back rower for another decade.
CP. Why do you think we will lose Flannagan ?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Perhaps Flanngan shows the value of a lengthy loan period. Whilst we as fans may enjoy seeing the academy / reserve teams victorious results are not overly important. Producing future first team players is the be all and end all.

CP. Why do you think we will lose Flannagan ?
He's far too good to be playing reserve grade, but his chances of making the first team are limited, to say the least, whether in the halves or at LF.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta, basically what Geoff says. I may be wrong but I believe Flannagan's contract is up at the end of the season. Unless several SL teams and Championship teams are more stupid than we give them credit for, several will be congregating to sign Flannagan.

I believe Flannagan has reached an age when he needs first team RL. When he arrived he had a decent tackle but it was hard to see much more. He is predominantly right sided and when he started playing in the reserves we had Thomas Coyle and Joel Tomkins both right sided. Consequently, he looked fairly ordinary. In the present reserve team whether he plays 6 or back row, he is the predominant right side playmaker with Joe Mellor and Liam Farrell making play on the left. His loan stint has done him a lot of good. It was a lengthy loan period. Not convinced a month loan is overly beneficial. This season, Flannagsan has been outstanding for the reserves. He has a decent kicking game, a reasonable passing game, very good defence (technically on the money) and a very strong running game. He is simply too good for Reserve RL which can at times be very ordinary. Any player playing at that level too long is at risk of stagnating development wise.

Personally I surmise Flannagan has reached an age where he needs first team RL. Is that likely to happen at Wigan? We speculate that Bailey will leave at the end of 2009. That leaves Hock, Hansen, Tomkins and Lockers as back rowers. The only opportunity I can see is if Tim Smith returns to Aus, Flannagan could play 6 but IMO that is his weakest position. He would offer a great defensive 6. He is right sided so that would balance superbly with SAm being left sided. His playmaking / evasion would be the question mark. Certainly good enough for Championship teams at 6, SL ? He is ideally a 13 IMO. However, would anybody select him over Lockers or Tomkins at 13? Salford? Yes, Warrington? Yes Celtic? Yes Huddersfield? Possibly Bradford? Possibly Wakefield Yes.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

There's an excellent match report in the news section of this site, written by our very own reporter...[/quote]

What a pity that the official Warriors site can't produce a match report immediately after the game. I am fortunate that I see most of the Reserve and Academy games but I am aware that many don't.

If you would like a good laugh read the report on St Helens website.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:D The St Helens report is a classic. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure why Wigan do not put up a quick brief report because they have to telephone the details from home match to the RFL almost immediately after each match.

This has to be one of the best excuses ever written
A pre-match thunder and lightening storm which had the paying spectators dodging the torrential hailstones when taking their seats, seemed to have subdued the Reserves and they fell 10 – 0 down after a quarter of an hour.
This is a good innacurate quote too
But it could have been so different. Paul Johnson dropped a certain try-scoring pass letting the home winger go 95 metres to score and had Phil Baines’s ball found Alex Asher instead of the touch judge then it could have been the Reserves up by ten.