Will Shaun Ainscough Play This Friday?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Will Shaun Ainscough Play This Friday?

Post by cpwigan »

Both Luke and Kevin are regular SL players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TomThumb wrote:
mrs feka wrote:I agree wıth OAM. İt makes me so mad to see this lad sidelined after his earlier acheivements this season.
Hope they don,t lose him like we have many others, by doing the same.
I would imagine Brian Noble has sat him down and talked to him, about how he is going to be a world class winger as long as he stays commited to improving and has the correct attitude. He's only 19 and although I love to watch him play, I think as a club we have a duty of care
Oh dear the "duty of care" phrase.

You are Brian Noble and I claim my £5.:lol:

This duty of care idea is the biggest load of nonsense Noble has introduced into the debate I have ever read or heard.

Yes he is 19 but that is plenty old enough if you are good enough and he is good enough. How old do expect him to be before he can hack it? 21? 25?
I think given time with Radders to work on certain aspects of his game.. we will have a world class winger who is going to be around at our club for a very long time to come!! I think the there are far too many players who have been thrust into the spotlight of superleague and never reached their true potential even though at an early age they had great prospects. Off the top of my head I think Luke Robinson and Kevin Brown were players who were over exposed and this had a somewhat of an adverse effect on their confidence/progress.
They weren't good enough to be superstars but are still playing in SL to a high level. What about players like Rads and Farrell? Westerman or Myler? There are plenty of other examples of young players who thrive in the spotlight because they are good enough.

Ainscough's quality stands out a mile and he is a cut above the Brown and L Robinson IMO. It would just not be a problem and IMO there isn't another coach in the league who would be leaving him out at the moment.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TomThumb wrote: I would imagine Brian Noble has sat him down and talked to him, about how he is going to be a world class winger as long as he stays commited to improving and has the correct attitude. He's only 19 and although I love to watch him play, I think as a club we have a duty of care to ensure that each player progresses through and is able to reach their potential,
Myler at Salford is a year younger, hasn't missed a game for a season and a half, and has the #7 shirt. Shame on Salford for ignoring their "duty of care" to him.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

Ohhh no Ive been exposed!!! Well Done Dave O... your too good!!!

Obviously this is an emotive subject..

It is my opinion that after watching Shaun in the reserves a few times this season and all the super league games, yes he is suspect under the high ball or cross field balls, It doesnt take a genius to work out that.. but surely in an era were the high ball/cross field ball is a well used tactic, I think giving him time to work on that part of his game is what he needs not throwing to the lions to see if he either sinks or swims...

Where any of you at the reserves on Friday??

The point I was making about Brown and Robinson is that yes they are superleague players but especially Brown, he took a lot of stick from the Wigan Fans after going through a drop in form after his first year in superleague(2nd year syndrome) and I think this certainly effected his wigan career and I also think his following years!!

Brian N

TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

GeoffN wrote: Myler at Salford is a year younger, hasn't missed a game for a season and a half, and has the #7 shirt. Shame on Salford for ignoring their "duty of care" to him.
It may just be me, but Myler doesn't seem to have such glaring negative issues with his game.

Brian N
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TomThumb wrote:
GeoffN wrote: Myler at Salford is a year younger, hasn't missed a game for a season and a half, and has the #7 shirt. Shame on Salford for ignoring their "duty of care" to him.
It may just be me, but Myler doesn't seem to have such glaring negative issues with his game.

Brian N
But it's Noble that's making Shaun's errors so "glaring". You could say the same about any player regarding errors; Tim Smith, for example, is much worse than Aimscough in defence, yet that doesn't seem to worry Nobby. Mathers was dreadful under high kicks, but Nobby stuck with him for a full season.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

GeoffN wrote:
TomThumb wrote:

Brian N
But it's Noble that's making Shaun's errors so "glaring". You could say the same about any player regarding errors; Tim Smith, for example, is much worse than Aimscough in defence, yet that doesn't seem to worry Nobby. Mathers was dreadful under high kicks, but Nobby stuck with him for a full season.
I don't think Brian mentioning his frailties helps, but with fans baying for blood(when he was under pressure after the Catalan result) he has to someone try to justify his decisions somehow.

I think if we had a different backline with say Calderwood in there then I am pretty sure Shaun would be in, with or without his abilitiy to catch the high ball. I think it doesnt help have Phelps who is playing very well at full back along with Richards who is solid and kicks goals and Roberts who is showing signs of hitting some form and is pretty solid both defensively and under the high ball.

I think with T smith, he obviously isn't the greatest at tackling, so M gleeson has more of a defensive role to play to take the pressure off Smith. I think we are now seeing how good smith is and how much we need him in the team, but as soon as his defensive frailties begin to overshadow his attacking performances then he should justifyably be dropped.

Is the consensus that its Roberts who should make way for Shaun Ainscough?

Brian N
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I was at that game and every home game bar the odd one since Ainscough came to the club. His areas that need improving were obvious from day 1 yet they were never adressed. Unfortunately I do not think they will by playing Reserves either. If you took every reserve game played thus far this season you would be hard pressed to put together 40 minutes of goal line defence required so dominant are our reserves. Ainscough cannot get the pressurised kicks required playing in the reserves.

Personally I think your comment re Ainscough being peppered shows the impact of a coach making negative statements about players in public. Stanton had far far better defence than Ainscough but he did not even get a game. If you are small you will not get selected by Noble. He is obsessive re size.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

cpwigan wrote:Well Tom I think he only had 4 bombs kicked at him the entire match. Personally I think Nicky has made a good call and that players should be rested v weaker opposition and the likes of Ainscough, Flannagan etc given the occasional game.
I seem to have come away with the impression there was more than 4 and he dropped/made a hash of most of them...

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I don't like shaun, I think he's great, I just can understand the reasons why Noble would pick Phelps/roberts and richards in the backline at the moment.

I agree that reserve players should be given game time against the lesser sides, but with super league being so even, the easy games a few and far between, this is why I like the idea of players going out on loan with either championship or other superleague sides to get the experience, confidence and to get up to the speed of superleague.

Brian N
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

I have in the past made comments about Nobles inability to improve players to reach ther potential and this is one of the major reasons for me wanting someone else in charge next year.

I just think Nobby is going with a more defensive/safer backline which I can understand and agree with, especially against strong teams like saints, Wakefield and hull who all have good kicking games.