A match report for far flung fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

A match report for far flung fans

Post by DaveO »

I also posted this on rlfans

I hope people don't mind me starting another thread on the HKR match but I put a bit of effort into this and didn't want it lost 6 pages down another one!

Well this is a long post as it’s in “match report style” and I am writing this off line before reading any of the comments on tonight’s game and before I had sunk the cans I have in the fridge so I can hopefully having had the time to reflect on the drive home give a fair an unbiased view of the game tonight.

The first half was some of the most committed and best RL I have seen Wigan play for a long time, at least defensively. The tackles that were going in were punishing and we played a smart game given the appallingly wet conditions as we kicked long and well and played the game in the HKR half. It was good tactics.

HKR had the first scoring chance though in the first few minutes with a break up the middle but Roberts got back with a superb cover tackle. We managed to keep them out from there and the goal line defends was generally miles better than earlier in the season for most of the match.
It was very entertaining to watch despite the lack of tries. One that people who like a tough contest and not games that end up 42-36 would appreciate.

We went into the lead with what can only be described as one of the best passes I have seen from Smith to Lockers who came in on an angled run about 10m to 15m out. It beat the defence hands down.
The game remained 6-0 with more of the punishing defence (and from HKR as well) right up until the half time hooter and here is where the controversy will be.

Silverwood worked HKR up the field with a series of penalties until they were within a few meters of our line on the left. The play was executed and the HKR player was tackled to the ground by two or three Wigan defenders. Then the hooter went, while IMO the player was still on the ground. So what does Silverwood do? Signal a PTB. Well we all know they scored from it and while the Wigan players may have been guilty of playing to the hooter not the whistle I’d like to know just what the rules are on this.

Comments on the first half can’t be concluded without a mention of an utterly superb tackle by (I think) McIllorum (or was it Fielden?)on Dobson. He must have been a meter away from the line was expecting to put the ball down for a try when tight out of nowhere BAM he was simply cleaned out. It was like watching a scene from the Matrix with Dobson (well I think it was him with the ball) moving in slow motion while McIllorum shot in and saved the day.

So half time 6-6 and we were very unlucky not to be 6-0 ahead.
However while we were unlucky we had still only scored 6 points despite a lot of pressure on the HKR line and at one point we must have had at least three set sof six where nothing came of it and we did in these sets look pretty clueless. For example Feka was on the pitch and each time he was used as a decoy and never once given the chance to take the line on from short range. The writing was on the wall IMO.

The second half began very well because more or less right from the kick off it was 12-6 to Wigan after an error by a HKR player gave us field position down the middle and TL made a great little break to pass to Lockers again to score under the sticks. So that sickener of a try conceded was wiped out almost instantly.

You might have thought this would have put us “back in the groove” of the 1st half but we basically simply went to pot. The second half was like chalk and cheese compared to the first. The kicking game went out of the window for some reason and we looked far less like a team than we did in the first. I have no idea why. The turning point came when Smith, the hero of the first half went from the sublime to the ridiculous.

He was caught in possession on the last tackle on our own 40m line on the last tackle isolated by two HKR players. A rotten position to be in but he should just have taken the tackle. What does he do? Try to kick it. It gets charged down and HKR are gifted 6 points. It was a brain fart of the highest order.

Unfortunately not long after this Fielden was penalised on their 40m line and they quickly worked the ball down our left to score after some pathetic tackling by Carmont. From 12-6 up to 12-18 and you just knew there was no way back from here. Why?

Well HKR had by now worked out the few attacking moves we had. It’s as simple as that IMO. We were back to early season form of lacking the savvy to break a good defence down. As I said earlier at the end of the first half we failed to score despite huge pressure well we got down their end plenty enough times to score but simply had not go the players to unlock their defence. It was also the case as I said we generally lost the plot and the cohesion, the kicking game and team game we played in the first half went out of the window. We simply had no idea how to score.

So why not? Well I am sure you know what is coming. Noble dropped Tomkins and of course Ainscough wasn’t in the 19. Two players who would have IMO offered the variation and threat sadly lacking throughout the game on attack. Our bench was no threat with Riddell not offering much. He did one great run a prop would have been proud of but that part of the problem he looks more like a prop than a game changing hooker.

I was asked what side I would pick for tonight’s game earlier today and I said same as last week with Ainscough in for Roberts which would also have meant no Riddell with Tomkins retaining his place and despite Roberts cover tackle he offered little else and came up with at least one glaring error. I am, given our attacking performance tonight and despite the conditions convinced that would have been the better selection despite the rain and it isn't hindsight.

Dave

El Bobbers

Re: A match report for far flung fans

Post by El Bobbers »

Excellent Post!!! A true hand on heart reflection of the game.

Your conclusion pretty much sums up the problem(s) with Noble as our coach. It would seem that he does not realise the difference it makes being able to bring Sam T off the bench, he offers a different style of play and a new threat to the defensive line Smith does not.

I stuck up for Noble in the past. I feel silly now. :(
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im sorry DaveO but as good as that post was and it was well constructed and unbias as it could be - as soon as i read "brain fart of the highest order" i was in hysterics and as much as i tried to read on i kept re-reading it and thinking of situations i can use it. Great post but that sentance has possibly made my week!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:Im sorry DaveO but as good as that post was and it was well constructed and unbias as it could be - as soon as i read "brain fart of the highest order" i was in hysterics and as much as i tried to read on i kept re-reading it and thinking of situations i can use it. Great post but that sentance has possibly made my week!
Well that was the most polite way I could think of describing it. Glad it made you smile because it was a truly Vicror Meldrew "I don't beleive it." moment and then some!

Dave

jammie

Post by jammie »

still think we look a better balanced team with more options when we play tommy at hooker and interchange him with mm and have smith and sam tompkins at half backs,and get piggy out of the equation altogether.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

The only defence that I can offer, re the Smith charge down is that, for someone who is sitting in the stand who hasn't played the game for numerous years it's easy for us to say he should have simply "taken the tackle".
Unfortunately, in a pressure cooker environment, trapped inside your own half, with 2 players bearing down on you it's easy to think "I need to get this downfield".
I know what a lot of peoples responses will be, the old "he's a pro he should know what to do" etc. etc. But the fact of the matter is he got it fractionally wrong and it was sheer bad luck. Nothing else.
I agree almost entirely with the rest of your post, Dave. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw such an intensive 40 mins in Rugby League as that first half. There was a period of about 15 mins where nearly every set consisted of bone shuddering tackles that were a joy to behold. McIllorum and Fielden getting through more than their fair share of work. Then, as you said, the second half was as different again. The main points being the try after the hoter (first half), then the Smith charge down and try, Carmont's attempted tackle that would have made a Smith effort look good and the, so called, charge down off one of our players that the prat of a ref thought we had played at, when in fact it came off the players backside.
All in all, a game of two halves and more than a little controversy. I was gutted in the manner that we lost as I thought we could have won the game, given a bit more composure and a better ref.

Susi

Post by Susi »

Many thanks for match report Dave O ,we have read ıt today, whilst still on hols.
Got texts of scores last night.But that helps complete the picture for us.
Was told that ref was poor and dıd not get grip of game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mrs feka wrote:Many thanks for match report Dave O ,we have read ıt today, whilst still on hols.
Got texts of scores last night.But that helps complete the picture for us.
Was told that ref was poor and dıd not get grip of game.
I thought he was poor and not just because, as I believe he has since said, he didn't hear the half time hooter.

The scrums often had to be reset (how often do you see that in RL?). No idea why.

There were quite a few head high tackles. We got pinged for one but plenty more went unnoticed. It was generally a poor performance IMO.

He was also picky over pointless issues. When we came to kick off in the second half he objected to the kicking tee for some reason.

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:I also posted this on rlfans

I hope people don't mind me starting another thread on the HKR match but I put a bit of effort into this and didn't want it lost 6 pages down another one!

Well this is a long post as it’s in “match report style” and I am writing this off line before reading any of the comments on tonight’s game and before I had sunk the cans I have in the fridge so I can hopefully having had the time to reflect on the drive home give a fair an unbiased view of the game tonight.

The first half was some of the most committed and best RL I have seen Wigan play for a long time, at least defensively. The tackles that were going in were punishing and we played a smart game given the appallingly wet conditions as we kicked long and well and played the game in the HKR half. It was good tactics.

HKR had the first scoring chance though in the first few minutes with a break up the middle but Roberts got back with a superb cover tackle. We managed to keep them out from there and the goal line defends was generally miles better than earlier in the season for most of the match.
It was very entertaining to watch despite the lack of tries. One that people who like a tough contest and not games that end up 42-36 would appreciate.

We went into the lead with what can only be described as one of the best passes I have seen from Smith to Lockers who came in on an angled run about 10m to 15m out. It beat the defence hands down.
The game remained 6-0 with more of the punishing defence (and from HKR as well) right up until the half time hooter and here is where the controversy will be.

Silverwood worked HKR up the field with a series of penalties until they were within a few meters of our line on the left. The play was executed and the HKR player was tackled to the ground by two or three Wigan defenders. Then the hooter went, while IMO the player was still on the ground. So what does Silverwood do? Signal a PTB. Well we all know they scored from it and while the Wigan players may have been guilty of playing to the hooter not the whistle I’d like to know just what the rules are on this.

Comments on the first half can’t be concluded without a mention of an utterly superb tackle by (I think) McIllorum (or was it Fielden?)on Dobson. He must have been a meter away from the line was expecting to put the ball down for a try when tight out of nowhere BAM he was simply cleaned out. It was like watching a scene from the Matrix with Dobson (well I think it was him with the ball) moving in slow motion while McIllorum shot in and saved the day.

So half time 6-6 and we were very unlucky not to be 6-0 ahead.
However while we were unlucky we had still only scored 6 points despite a lot of pressure on the HKR line and at one point we must have had at least three set sof six where nothing came of it and we did in these sets look pretty clueless. For example Feka was on the pitch and each time he was used as a decoy and never once given the chance to take the line on from short range. The writing was on the wall IMO.

The second half began very well because more or less right from the kick off it was 12-6 to Wigan after an error by a HKR player gave us field position down the middle and TL made a great little break to pass to Lockers again to score under the sticks. So that sickener of a try conceded was wiped out almost instantly.

You might have thought this would have put us “back in the groove” of the 1st half but we basically simply went to pot. The second half was like chalk and cheese compared to the first. The kicking game went out of the window for some reason and we looked far less like a team than we did in the first. I have no idea why. The turning point came when Smith, the hero of the first half went from the sublime to the ridiculous.

He was caught in possession on the last tackle on our own 40m line on the last tackle isolated by two HKR players. A rotten position to be in but he should just have taken the tackle. What does he do? Try to kick it. It gets charged down and HKR are gifted 6 points. It was a brain fart of the highest order.

Unfortunately not long after this Fielden was penalised on their 40m line and they quickly worked the ball down our left to score after some pathetic tackling by Carmont. From 12-6 up to 12-18 and you just knew there was no way back from here. Why?

Well HKR had by now worked out the few attacking moves we had. It’s as simple as that IMO. We were back to early season form of lacking the savvy to break a good defence down. As I said earlier at the end of the first half we failed to score despite huge pressure well we got down their end plenty enough times to score but simply had not go the players to unlock their defence. It was also the case as I said we generally lost the plot and the cohesion, the kicking game and team game we played in the first half went out of the window. We simply had no idea how to score.

So why not? Well I am sure you know what is coming. Noble dropped Tomkins and of course Ainscough wasn’t in the 19. Two players who would have IMO offered the variation and threat sadly lacking throughout the game on attack. Our bench was no threat with Riddell not offering much. He did one great run a prop would have been proud of but that part of the problem he looks more like a prop than a game changing hooker.

I was asked what side I would pick for tonight’s game earlier today and I said same as last week with Ainscough in for Roberts which would also have meant no Riddell with Tomkins retaining his place and despite Roberts cover tackle he offered little else and came up with at least one glaring error. I am, given our attacking performance tonight and despite the conditions convinced that would have been the better selection despite the rain and it isn't hindsight.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
from one of the far flung fans, trust me I would rather have been sat drenched in the East stand on Friday night than where I am now.
From your excellent report and many other posts on the site, it seems firstly, totally wrong tactics by Nobby, using long ball passer, Smith in "bar of soap" conditions. Piggy being picked, leaving Shaun & Sam out.
Secondly, Mr Silverwood has had one of his cant do anything for Wigan nights.
It all sounds like most of the players put in their ten penneth Friday night, which as supporters we cannot fault. IMO, wet drenched nights, you need the yardage makers Shaun & Sam for sure, on top of a solid kicking game.
Ommitting Shaun & Sam has been a big error in this game by Noble.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote: Thanks Dave,
from one of the far flung fans, trust me I would rather have been sat drenched in the East stand on Friday night than where I am now.
From your excellent report and many other posts on the site, it seems firstly, totally wrong tactics by Nobby, using long ball passer, Smith in "bar of soap" conditions. Piggy being picked, leaving Shaun & Sam out.
Secondly, Mr Silverwood has had one of his cant do anything for Wigan nights.
It all sounds like most of the players put in their ten penneth Friday night, which as supporters we cannot fault. IMO, wet drenched nights, you need the yardage makers Shaun & Sam for sure, on top of a solid kicking game.
Ommitting Shaun & Sam has been a big error in this game by Noble.
The commitment form the players could not be faulted and I think the finger must be pointed at Noble for his selections. I have seen it written that he picked the right team for the conditions. I don't agree. Tomkins and Ainscough are used to playing in rain and this kind of game was crying out for little bit of of brilliance the likes of Tomkins or Ainscough can produce to unlock HKR's solid defence. We just didn't have it on the pitch and I think everyone in the stadium knew that once we went behind the side was not capable of getting the lead back.

HKR were easily able to nullify our attacks in the second half because they only had TL and Smith to worry about.

Dave