Have we as a club got the salary cap right

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Have we as a club got the salary cap right

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:I do not think anybody believes Wigan should have 13 Wiganers in their first XIII. It is unrealistic. What irks fans is when they see poor signings being given umpteen chances and Wigan born youngsters given none.

We currently have a rich crop of young talent. They are only a % of the academy/reserve squads. More will leave Wigan and have decent careers elsewhere. What we do not want is the very best leaving us.
The other problem, at the moment, is recruting junior players. We are currently losing out to Saints and Warrington and sometimes Leeds! Chorley and Leyland has become a hotbed for junior talent. Last week, all the above clubs were present at representative matches. In particular they were interested in a lad from Chorley, all four clubs have made him an offer but he will be joining Saints. Why? Because Saints have ties with the club!!! In short, the coach of the under 15s works for Saints. We need to form similar arrangements if we are to recruit the best.

Finally, has anyone seen Jason Robinson's lad play recently? He is Jason MkII. He is unbelievably fast. I would love to see a foot race between him and Ainsy.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Who does he player for SEFC?
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

No I do not think we have got the salary cap right yet, although we are beginning to get it under control and getting a better balance on the wage structure.

When Ian took over last year we had players such as bailey, barrett, higham, feka, calderwood, fielden who were on a ridiculous salary and they where also on less than convincing short term contracts- didnt we have something daft like 15 players of contract at the end of last season?

Now Ian has had a while sorting contracts out etc we have began to get the salary cap under control, Im sure we re negotiated richards and fekas contracts last year to reduce them.

Ian also seems to be setting targets of 3 year contracts which I think is a good target because it keeps the bulk of the squad together over time.

We still do have very highly payed players, and perhaps they are too highly payed, the likes of fielden riddell and bailey should be on less money in my opinion.

Another thing which Ian done when he come in was secure the services of our youngsters on longer contracts, I think the likes of sam and joel tomkins signed 3 year extensions when Ian took over.

Personally, Id like to see a larger amount of money put towards the youngsters such as Sam and Shaun because these are the future of the club. At the end of the season when I think bailey will go, we will have a better balance on the salary cap front.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:Who does he player for SEFC?
Chorley CPW.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warrior till i die wrote:No I do not think we have got the salary cap right yet, although we are beginning to get it under control and getting a better balance on the wage structure.

When Ian took over last year we had players such as bailey, barrett, higham, feka, calderwood, fielden who were on a ridiculous salary and they where also on less than convincing short term contracts- didnt we have something daft like 15 players of contract at the end of last season?
How do you know they were on ridiculous salaries? When Barrett, Higham and Calderwood left were we able to go out and sign quality replacements or instead of three highly paid players to replace them, four or more good solid pros? You would think we would be able to do that if they were on such high wages as you suggest but we didn't.

What we did was up the wages of some junior players and sign Roberts and Riddell who were hardly household names.

If we had just got rid of three players on ridiculous wages I'd expect better than that coming into the side despite upping younger players wages.

I think this supports the view of Jinkin Jimmy who used to post here when he said Millward told him personally that Higham and Calderwood were on £70K each which sounds about right for players of their ability and experience.

When people were suggested we would have a spending spree with these three players wages I kept saying I didn't think we would because I didn't think they earned as much as people thought, including Barrett.
Now Ian has had a while sorting contracts out etc we have began to get the salary cap under control, Im sure we re negotiated richards and fekas contracts last year to reduce them.

Ian also seems to be setting targets of 3 year contracts which I think is a good target because it keeps the bulk of the squad together over time.
He brought Roberts in on a four year deal on a whim IMO and are you sure we changed Fekas contract last season? We can't change existing deals (spirit of the cap nonsense) but what I thought we did was give Richards a new contract but Fekas original deal is not up yet.
We still do have very highly payed players, and perhaps they are too highly payed, the likes of fielden riddell and bailey should be on less money in my opinion.
We speculate Fielden is on a fortune but I think if you expect losing these two players wages to free up a lot of cash you will be disappointed. We will need a top class prop so that will cost a fair chunk of Fielden's wage and as with Higham and Calderwood I don't think Bailey is on super star wages.
Another thing which Ian done when he come in was secure the services of our youngsters on longer contracts, I think the likes of sam and joel tomkins signed 3 year extensions when Ian took over.

Personally, Id like to see a larger amount of money put towards the youngsters such as Sam and Shaun because these are the future of the club. At the end of the season when I think bailey will go, we will have a better balance on the salary cap front.
He did do that but as I said above having done so he could only afford to bring in two standard NRL pros not really class players as he just did not free up a lot of money by releasing those three players IMO.

It will be the same this year as we only lose Bailey, Smith and probably Carmont who are established players. If their combined wages come to £200K I'd be surprised so once he has given ST and SA a decent pay rise don't expect some super stars to be joining the side.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fielden,Feka,Bailey are all on big money. Probably our highest earners. Gleeson is on a very good salary better than his Wire one. I am led to believe that Lockers although on a very good contract does not get anywhere near what the aforementioned do.

Tomkins,Flannagan and Mossop are the highest paid young players and none exceed 20K. The other good youngsters range from 12K to 20K.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

warrior till i die wrote:N

That strategy only works when the players are good ones, though. 3 and 4 year contracts for Riddell & Roberts (and Fielden) mean we're stuck with them whether they improve or not.

IMO, contracts of that length should only be given to players already at the club, who've already shown their quality with us. New players, whether from abroad or from another SL side, should get 2 years max, with the option of an extension if they prove themselves.

ellery 4 coach

Post by ellery 4 coach »

cpwigan wrote:Fielden,Feka,Bailey are all on big money. Probably our highest earners. Gleeson is on a very good salary better than his Wire one. I am led to believe that Lockers although on a very good contract does not get anywhere near what the aforementioned do.

Tomkins,Flannagan and Mossop are the highest paid young players and none exceed 20K. The other good youngsters range from 12K to 20K.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Fielden,Feka,Bailey are all on big money. Probably our highest earners. Gleeson is on a very good salary better than his Wire one. I am led to believe that Lockers although on a very good contract does not get anywhere near what the aforementioned do.
And of those even if you are correct only Baileys contract is up this season hence why I do not expect a spending spree for 2010.

In any case if Nobby stays it would not surprise me if Bailey gets a new deal. Not on the same money of course but it would not surprise me.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am led to believe Dave that there is no huge pot of money for signings even if Bailey goes.