Wakefield suspend Brough and Sculthorpe

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
gpartin

Re: Wakefield suspend Brough and Sculthorpe

Post by gpartin »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
neilbass wrote:I wonder if it's also a 'no drink on the bus' rule when they win?

And if they do have a rule, wouldn't somebody think to tell the coach firm to remove it all before they set off??
A weeks fine seems harsh unless Sculthorpe knew drinking on the coach was a no no and therefore he must suffer the contract fine for such a club breach.
If it was a definite no no, he is an absolute lune for trying it on in front of dozens of witnesses.
Not read the Sun thread in detail, was it the players coach, or just a supporters type coach he was on.
Regardless of whether he was right or wrong, how are they allowed to withold payment of wages under any circumstances other than for not turning up for work?

Surely its illegal.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Breach of contract?

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Sutty wrote:Breach of contract?
If my previous employers had held back wages for breaches of contract nobody would have ever been paid :lol:

The RFL have demonstrated in the past that they aren't bothered about the law and now Wakefield are at it.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin wrote:
Sutty wrote:Breach of contract?
If my previous employers had held back wages for breaches of contract nobody would have ever been paid :lol:

The RFL have demonstrated in the past that they aren't bothered about the law and now Wakefield are at it.
AS long as it's in their "terms & conditions of employment", or equivalent, it's perfectly fair and legal.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

gpartin wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
neilbass wrote:I wonder if it's also a 'no drink on the bus' rule when they win?

And if they do have a rule, wouldn't somebody think to tell the coach firm to remove it all before they set off??
A weeks fine seems harsh unless Sculthorpe knew drinking on the coach was a no no and therefore he must suffer the contract fine for such a club breach.
If it was a definite no no, he is an absolute lune for trying it on in front of dozens of witnesses.
Not read the Sun thread in detail, was it the players coach, or just a supporters type coach he was on.
Regardless of whether he was right or wrong, how are they allowed to withold payment of wages under any circumstances other than for not turning up for work?

Surely its illegal.
It wouldnt be illegal if it is written into a players contract that he must not take alcohol during the playing season. If any player takes Alcohol, he will be suspended for one week and deducted one weeks wages.
The player then signs said contract.
I am not saying this is the case GP, however if it is then Wakefield are not acting illegally.
Seems harsh nevertheless.