Change a winning team again...?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Change a winning team again...?

Post by GeoffN »

to let Fielden back in?

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Change a winning team again...?

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Noble will go back to 4 props . Fielden back as interchange prop ?
2002 and EW is hooked
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Feka played longer than usual?,i think it was shorter than
usual ist half and he was blowing well when he came off :conf:
ian b

Post by ian b »

i think you need 4 props just because of the intensity of our game.I am also a great believer in squad rotation so you can keep players fresh for what is a long and hard season.We have without doubt the toughest sport going and it is right to rest players and try to develop different squads within the same one if that makes sense!.Most sporting teams use a rotation policy.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If you have better back rowers then maybe 3 props is the way to go. Hansen / Hock did fine when they took on the prop role. Had we played with 4 props I doubt we would have been as effective. Did we really miss Fielden?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cherry.pie wrote:Why should the side be changed? We didn't miss Fielden at all last night in my opinion. Coley and Prescott were making good metres and both were excellent in defence. Feka played a longer spell than usual and was better than he has been for a while, and Harrison Hansen played much better at prop than Fielden has for ages. Fielden would only have been missed for his defensive work because he makes fewer metres than our other props. Hansen filled in for Fielden's defence and also had more of an impact going forward.
I don't think Hansen could have that sort of impact every week, but he certainly deserves to keep his place. In dry weather Hansen seems to be a much better player.
I didnt see the game CherryPie.
What was Salfords defence like in comparisson to Hull KR;s or Warrington's.
Maybe the Salford game was an easier option to put Harison Hanson in as prop as opposed to the two previous games.
As I say, I cant comment, I wasnt there.
Maybe Stuart Fielden would have played a good game against Salford too.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Salfords problem was out wide PM but only when Wigan opened up an old fashioned open side on the left hand side splitting the pitch 70/30. 70 being the open side. We deliberately set up that field position and fed Hock as much as possible.

However, what fans need to consider is that the second 40 was a disaster for Salford with 55% completion so it was all Wigan whereas in the first half the game was fairly deadlocked. Feka and Hock caused Salford problems whilst Lockers showed glimpses of class.

Basically we stretched Salford on our left / their right to leave Pat enough room to run in at the corner. Other than that, Hock made his own tries through his running brilliance.

We still lack creativity with the ball in hand and if you stop Hocky then you stop 80% of Wigan.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I think against teams like Salford, who have a relatively small pack, it works to have the extra speed and mobility of a second row as one of the props. Fielden's size, especially in defence, is still needed against the bigger packs.

Having said that, I was very impressed, again, with the tackling of McIlorum & Sam T against their big guys. They kept running Leuluai and Talau at Sam, and he got them down every time.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I can't beleive peopple getting on Nobby's case when he hasn't even named the squad yet.

I'm going for Stu in place of Prescott so we can all moan about dropping a youngster.

Ainscough in for Amos, we'll all moan because he's playing against someone taller than him.

Smith back with Sam on the bench, we'll all moan because he's not playing Sam from the start.

One of our players will knock on, we'll all moan as he must be coaching them to knock on.

We'll be 20 yards out get a penalty and we'll all moan as they opt to kick for goal.

We'll be 20 yards out, get a penalty and run the ball, so we'll all moan for not taking the kick.

:roll:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

FROM A TO B wrote:I can't beleive peopple getting on Nobby's case when he hasn't even named the squad yet.

I'm going for Stu in place of Prescott so we can all moan about dropping a youngster.

Ainscough in for Amos, we'll all moan because he's playing against someone taller than him.

Smith back with Sam on the bench, we'll all moan because he's not playing Sam from the start.

One of our players will knock on, we'll all moan as he must be coaching them to knock on.

We'll be 20 yards out get a penalty and we'll all moan as they opt to kick for goal.

We'll be 20 yards out, get a penalty and run the ball, so we'll all moan for not taking the kick.

:roll:
So would you advocate changing a winning team, and having genuine competition for places, or letting certain favourites straight back in irrespective of form?