Brett Finch may be coming to SL

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Sutty

Brett Finch may be coming to SL

Post by Sutty »

Is it worth us trying to sign this guy? I have to say, I know very little about him or his game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html

cpwigan

Re: Brett Finch may be coming to SL

Post by cpwigan »

He's not bad Sutty. He does like to be heavily involved in play which is something we are missing. More a 7 than a 6. He is certainly a general / an organiser. Bit of a reputation as a sledger of other players and a yapper to referees. Started with Canberra IIRC and looked great, went to the Roosters and did great there but went to Parra and like most players who have been at Parra in recent years his carweer seemed to stall. He cannot be overly obsessed with money because he walked from Parra whilst on a brilliant contract but the threat of playing reserve grade. Now playing for Melbourne.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Sounds like he could, potentially, be quite a good signing. Wonder if IL had a chance to watch him whilst over there.

eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

id love to have greg inglis in wigan side
IN WANE WE TRUST
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Home grown talent is the future
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

OAMJS wrote:Home grown talent is the future
So long as the quota remains at 5 it won't be as clubs will always look overseas for players.

I don't have a problem with that if the clubs stick to the quota and only sign really top class players as their quota players. If no top class overseas players are available then they should not sign middle of the road overseas players just because they can.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote:
So long as the quota remains at 5 it won't be as clubs will always look overseas for players.

I don't have a problem with that if the clubs stick to the quota and only sign really top class players as their quota players. If no top class overseas players are available then they should not sign middle of the road overseas players just because they can.

Dave
Agreed, Dave, and I'd go further. Once the currently planned reductions are completed in 2011, I'd like to see a gradual reduction in the quota, too, perhaps down to 2 or 3 eventually. By that time, too, the "loophole" regarding existing contracts will mostly have vanished.

As planned, by 2011, it will be 8 home-grown, 12 UK trained and 5 overseas. I think the home-grown figure should stay at 8, but the other two go up/down by 1 a year to 15 UK/2 overseas.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

GeoffN wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Dave
Agreed, Dave, and I'd go further. Once the currently planned reductions are completed in 2011, I'd like to see a gradual reduction in the quota, too, perhaps down to 2 or 3 eventually. By that time, too, the "loophole" regarding existing contracts will mostly have vanished.

As planned, by 2011, it will be 8 home-grown, 12 UK trained and 5 overseas. I think the home-grown figure should stay at 8, but the other two go up/down by 1 a year to 15 UK/2 overseas.
Quotas are fine in theory but the exercise is pointless if the 'home grown' talent is not of the desired quality. The RFL are doing very little to improve the level of playing standards in this country at junior level. If anyone thinks that the standard of the game in this country will improve as a result of reducing the number of antipodeans plying their trade then they are wrong.

Rugby League needs to generate a far bigger player base. I am not sure how many juniors Wigan have on their books - I hazard a guess at 50 - 100 (most teams in SL will have less) compare this with Penrith Panthers who have in excess of 6000! Many of these youngsters play for junior clubs run by the parent club, all are managed through the Penrith set-up.

If we are interested in producing better players, getting more individuals to be involved in the game and eventually breaking the stranglehold the Aussies have over us, then the RFL need to change the way SL clubs interact with local amateur teams. My view, for what it is worth, is that each SL team should be given a defined area where it has responsibility for coaching, developing and encouraging young people in the sport - this involvement should stretch from primary school children right the way through to U18s. Each club should develop a business plan, to be signed off by the RFL, detailing their goals, aims and targets, together with a programme aimed at achieving these objectives. In return, each SL club should be given the first opportunity of recruiting players in their development area up to the age of 16 - after that players can sign for other clubs. This would prevent the likes of Huddersfield (mentioned elsewhere on this website) simply investing in ready made talent. An agreed salary structure could be agreed across the game to ensure that all players are paid the same depending on their development.

I hesitate to say it, but I don't think that the RFL would sanction such an approach. Not because it is unworkable or illegal, but simply because they would not like our team to succeed. After all we are an hotbed of RL talent the only problem is that others continue to poach our talented youngsters yet contribute little to the overall development of the game.

I realise that this proposal is very simplistic and there may be many obsticles in the way. But we need to radically change the way we manage junior development if we are to improve the quality of the game.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You are right SEFC

I have previously said and I am not sure peoople understood but it cannot be right that Wigan produces so many RL players / internationals because what it shows is that there are many many potential RL greats that simply never get to play the game let alone be coached properly. We are seeing the odd London product come through. Imagine the talent gene pool in the capital.

I have spoken to Mick Hogan and suggested coaching the junior coaches is as important if not more than coaching the juniors themselves. Canberra has a very cliose relationship with the junior coaches in their development area. THey coach those coaches in the latest techniques etc so that they can then go and coach the youngsters according to NRL standards.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Sutty wrote:Is it worth us trying to sign this guy? I have to say, I know very little about him or his game.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html
does he brothers called

Green
Chaff
Bull

etc etc

:badg:
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White