Myler to Wire

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ancientnloyal

Re: Myler to Wire

Post by ancientnloyal »

£300k worth it? he may turn out to be a flop
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal wrote:£300k worth it? he may turn out to be a flop
True, but that applies to any player, really. Look at Fielden, for example.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Also counts on the cap I believe
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

pedro wrote:Also counts on the cap I believe
Nope.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Myler doesn't appear to be on Wigan's radar given that IL is trying to recruit a halfback from downunder. Having said that, if Longy's comments are to be believed, then IL's comments may be a smokescreen!

I think what we can be certain of, is that the chairman is chasing a minimum of two players from the NRL. I would like to think that a prop (Webb, Lima, O'Meley, Manu all fit the bill) and a centre (Lyon?) appear on his recruitment list as we need more aggression in our pack and somebody to replace George Carmont - he is past his best and injury prone. That would mean that we are actively persuing an English No7 - Myler? Brough?

Finally, IL said that he had identified three possible recruits. I wonder if the third one is an Aussie coach!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Long was definetly approached by Wigan.

Myler. I spoke to members of the club about him after the game against Salford and they seemed disinterested and felt he would not leave Salford which I personally think he will. Quite a good pairing for Sam T because he is right sided whilst Sam is a lefty.

Myler has pace and that can take players an awful long way in their careers. Seen many good 7's and 6's that never got very far because they were simply not fast enough.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:Myler doesn't appear to be on Wigan's radar given that IL is trying to recruit a halfback from downunder. Having said that, if Longy's comments are to be believed, then IL's comments may be a smokescreen!
I'd like us to go for Myler simply because it may well give us a long term partnership at half back. If we get an Aussie it may only be for two or three years and both Leeds and Saints have had stability in the half backs for some time, especially Leeds and look what those two teams have won.
I think what we can be certain of, is that the chairman is chasing a minimum of two players from the NRL. I would like to think that a prop (Webb, Lima, O'Meley, Manu all fit the bill) and a centre (Lyon?) appear on his recruitment list as we need more aggression in our pack and somebody to replace George Carmont - he is past his best and injury prone. That would mean that we are actively persuing an English No7 - Myler? Brough?
You are assuming we would be able to fit three quality players under the salary cap and IMO that is unlikely given the players who's contracts are up. Not enough money will be made available to sign three class players.
Finally, IL said that he had identified three possible recruits. I wonder if the third one is an Aussie coach!
He meant players. Unfortunately.

I have a suspicion those players won't be well know players either. According to the interview I heard he went over with players in mind but decided having spoken to people over there they were not to be signed. The three players he mentioned were different players not originally on the radar IMO. They could of course be top players but he also said how about getting some younger Aussies before they gain representative honours instead of players at the end of their careers.

So I reckon we could see some young Aussie players recruited. How that would sit with some of our junior players who may expect to step into the boots of our older players as they leave, I don't know.

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:Myler doesn't appear to be on Wigan's radar given that IL is trying to recruit a halfback from downunder. Having said that, if Longy's comments are to be believed, then IL's comments may be a smokescreen!

Its a pitty Phil Vievers has no influence on his in-law as coach.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

cpwigan wrote:Long was definetly approached by Wigan.

Myler. I spoke to members of the club about him after the game against Salford and they seemed disinterested and felt he would not leave Salford which I personally think he will. Quite a good pairing for Sam T because he is right sided whilst Sam is a lefty.

Myler has pace and that can take players an awful long way in their careers. Seen many good 7's and 6's that never got very far because they were simply not fast enough.
He was approached but we did not offer him enough money it is as simple as that
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I am more inclined to think that Briers will join his mentor Paul Cullen at Widnes!