Bradford beating Wire...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Bradford beating Wire...

Post by GeoffN »

Not good for our future league position, nice as it is to see Wire losing.
MrDave

Re: Bradford beating Wire...

Post by MrDave »

If Bradford win it just adds to the long list of teams who can go above Wigan in the 'week-off', but like GeoffN said always nice to see Wire losing.

Hudderswigan also holding their own against the Rhinos, David Hodgeson and Kevin Brown getting the tries.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... tlead.html

A teenager starred for Leeds

We have a teenage centre called Ian Thornley, plays left centre too. Wait too young to replace Carmont. Sory I forgot lol. Not much different to Inglis and Falau in size.

Oh we have a decent wing / full back called Stefan Marsh. He's been at the club for 3 years and we have played him 90% of the time in the centre where IMO he has no future. Could be a v good winger / fullback. Fast too.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Kallum Watkins looks a very good player, he is a big lad but has pace and skill to go with it.

In the first game I saw him he put in a brilliant pass to send Scott Donald in for a try. It was actually Sinfield who drew all the players away from Watkins to allow him to show his skill. A good example of a senior player doing his job to help a young player.

Credit to the Leeds scouting system they found the lad playing in Manchester. I would have expected Wigan to be the main scouts in the Manchester area...no disrespect to Salford but they don't have the same pulling power.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true Dave and yes he is a great prospect.

Saints have taken several good youngsters from Oldham, Leeds from Manchester and Oldham (Sinfied as an example). Unless they are on our doorstep we do not seem to find them.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I think it's something that Lenegan needs to look at. There are some very good players in the Wigan area but rugby league has also expanded and good players are coming through in places like Manchester so it's well worth having on eye on players out side you original catchment area.

With gradual restrictions on overseas players, good young British players will become more and more valuable. Wigan need to make sure they are competing with the top clubs when it comes to scouting otherwise the club could be left behind again.

I no the Wigan academy/reserves are doing well but that doesn't necessarily mean progressing into a great first team squad.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It certainly does not Dave. Wigan produce a higher than average standard of juniors that mean are academy / reserves are better overall teams bus at the end of the day only a small number are future SL players and even back whenever we had to search and find SL quality from outside Wigan; Jason Robinson, Gilnmour, Haughton, Luke Robinson etc.

Saying all that we do have a handful of really class youngsters. Farrel, Davies, Thornley I, Burke.