Matt Orford

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
MrDave

Matt Orford

Post by MrDave »

Heard today that Matt Orford is now listening to offers from Super League clubs and has had talks with Wigan about signing for next season.

Warrington have also been in talks with Matt Orford.

Orford is 31 but was the winner of the Dally M Medal last season.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Re: Matt Orford

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

position? Reputation?

(for those of us lucky enough to not have setanta!)
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:position? Reputation?

(for those of us lucky enough to not have setanta!)
scrum half and a good rep as a organiser and kicking. not seen much of him, just going off what i have heard. but will be 32 at the start of next season so not a long term option
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

He plays scrum half and like I said in my original post he won Dally M Medal last season which is NRL equivalent to man of steel. He also won the Grand Final with Manley last season but hasn't played for Australia of State-of-Origin as far as I can remember.

At 31 he is unlikely to get into the Australia or state-of-origin squads and since he has won pretty much everything he could have done in Australia I think we will be seeing him in Super League soon.

I've not seen Orford play because I don't have Setanta but I've heard a lot of good things about him.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

no thanks, we need someone who will be in 7 shirt for at least 4 or 5 years, why would anyone want another stop gap player, thats all we've signed since Edwards departed and it hasn't worked to this day, we should have signed Willie Peters up to a long term contract when he was here.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

medlocke wrote:no thanks, we need someone who will be in 7 shirt for at least 4 or 5 years
I think your right but unfortunately Noble was messed things up for Wigan. With Leuluai only 23 and Tomkins only 20 Wigan could have a half back partnership for at least 10 years.

Very few positions in the Wigan squad are established which is allowing for too much chopping and changing.

Wigan have had 3 different half back pairings and 3 different hookers, that can not be helping the rest of the team. Wigan should build around McIlorum and Tomkins. A hooker the forwards can get a partnership with and a half back who the backs can get a partnership with. That way new player would have to adjusted to the squad rather than the squad adjust to new players.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Heard we are signing Joe Williams, Leigh are not happy. IL says he is cheap as chips.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:Heard we are signing Joe Williams, Leigh are not happy. IL says he is cheap as chips.
We would have been better signing Charlie Williams. Our rugby wouldn't have improved but at least we would have had a good laugh - flower.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

orford is a quality half back. his age may count against him but the fact he hasn't played test or origin matches may mean his body isn't as bashed up as most top aussies. don't know how he's managed to not play for australia, remember thinking he was superb at melbourne, they let kimmorley go to keep orford. just shows the depth of quality they have over there.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thurston and Johns are the reason why hes never played for Aus.

Too old now but has been awesome