Re: New Coach signed??!!

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote: We were successful before we opened our chequebook in the 80s and 90s.
I beg to differ! We were in the Second Division before the cheque books came out!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Kittwazzer wrote:
shaunedwardsfan club wrote: We were successful before we opened our chequebook in the 80s and 90s.
I beg to differ! We were in the Second Division before the cheque books came out!
Not really, our first big signing of that era was Shaun Edwards, in 1983. The team that gained promotion in 1980 was little different from the one that got relegated.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:
We were successful before we opened our chequebook in the 80s and 90s. It's all about good management and good coaching.

Why are Saints doing so well? Simple, they have used Wigan's blueprint from 20 years ago (minus the transfer fees). It's not rocket science!
This is true. Leeds spent more than us and never got any return for their money. They did things like sign Doug Loughton (spelling?) as coach but he failed to rekindle what he achieved with Widnes for example.

Things had moved on and Wigan were always very innovative off field with sprint coaches employed and so on.

If money was all there was too it we would have won more trophies than we have since 1998 as the salary cap in its current form is a recent thing.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kitwazzer you have to remember Wigan RLFC was successful in 1910, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. That was what built Wigan up. Ours is a rich history. The 80's and 90's rekindleed what already existed.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:Kitwazzer you have to remember Wigan RLFC was successful in 1910, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. That was what built Wigan up. Ours is a rich history. The 80's and 90's rekindleed what already existed.
...and still does exist; we just need to find someone prepared to rekindle it again. I'm hoping Rads will have some effect in that department, but he'll need support from the top.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Dont you think that with just IL being the sole owner is part of our problem as was with the case with DW/ML in charge .IMHO i think that it needs more people at boardroom level rather than a one man band a spectator and a business man to boot .Now is the time to co-opt other business men onto the board who are not afraid to make decisions ,spend their money and use their intelligence to further the fortunes of Wigan Warriors.IL is a business man and wants to fund the Club through the gate receipts and finances of Wigan RLFC and in my opinion is not prepared to dig into his own pcket ,trying to run the club on a shoestring all the time.DW/ML were not frightened to make decisions in the past regardless of who it hurt maybe it would be a bad thing to get them (hate to say this)back on board.Most probably would be a clash of personalities with the business attitudes of IL and the knowledge of the game of ML and the money of DW combined would make this club great again .
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

Re Tuesdays Daily Express , news from Australia that Stephen Kearney has been approached by wigan to sign next season .
It also states he is eager to join a Super League club .
Let`s hope it`s us and get rid of Noble
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jackoh wrote:Re Tuesdays Daily Express , news from Australia that Stephen Kearney has been approached by wigan to sign next season .
That would be good; last I heard, though, he was going to the Roosters.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

GeoffN wrote:
jackoh wrote:Re Tuesdays Daily Express , news from Australia that Stephen Kearney has been approached by wigan to sign next season .
That would be good; last I heard, though, he was going to the Roosters.
I am not too sure on Kearney.
He had a good record with the Kiwi's on the back of Wayne Bennett. But before that I dont know what his record or form was like.
Like Ruben Wikki, he is a legend among his fellow Kiwi's, tough as they come, but is this enough to bring on the current Wigan team.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

If the Roosters beat us to the punch can we see if Mrs Kearney is available - she's got to be better than Noble.

Employing Kearney may alter our recruitment plans. Presumably, if SK has committed to us then IL may be persuing different players than he intended to sign whilst in Aus. More top Kiwis and less hasbeen/neverhasbeen Australians suits me.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards