Barcelona

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
emperorkel

Barcelona

Post by emperorkel »

With Wigan having no game I decided to spend the weekend in Barcelona, I have to say this is the shortest trip of the season so far. I persuaded a couple of my Spanish neighbours to come and watch the sport that I have been telling them beats any other and we had an enjoyable time it must be said.

At the end of it I have two main comments:
1. The rugby on offer was not really of a very good standard and I found myself thinking back to the start of super league and thinking these two teams would not compete with the majority of teams playing then, in fact I think the game has got steadily worse in the last five years.
2. It was all the same enjoyable because I was not bothered who won and could observe the action in a very relaxed manner. The atmosphere was very good the Catalan crowd certainly take it seriously and with 18000 in the ground it was very noisy at times. I think the wire just about deserved to win but there was not much to choose. Wire are a much more determined outfit nowadays and they are playing as a team but I am glad we did not sign King, a waste of money in my opinion.
Now as to Wigan by comparison they have played much worse than either of these teams this season and I really think that we are in the position we deserve to be in in the league. We could make the play offs and Wembley but in all honesty the team do not deserve it. Once again the best supporters in rugby league are being failed by a group of players who largely can’t be bothered but I am also coming to the conclusion that they are just not good enough
platt-warrior

Re: Barcelona

Post by platt-warrior »

What a strange comment :conf: surely if Wigan get to Wembly
they must deserve it they would have beaten all the teams put in front of them,and to get to the play-offs the same rule applies.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I watched some of the game and I am not sure if they were letting people in for nothing at half time but it seemed to fill up as the game went along. The atmosphere seemed good for what seemed to be a gigantic stadium.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

When I say the team dont deserve to be at Wembley its because this would gloss over what is a very poor and under performing team and in terms of who we have had to beat it has been a relatively easy passage.

If we reproduce the Murrayfield display against Wire we will win easily but Wire have proved recently that they do not give up and dont make it easy.

I quess what I am trying to say is that if they do not get to the final or the play offs it will make people sit up and realise that the squad is not as strong as we think and at the moment anyway the good times are not just around the corner. Getting to the play offs in the last two seasons has masked the fact that we have a serious problem which is getting worse.

Not sure if people did get in for free at half time but it is a big stadium and the sunshine certainly helped, hope Wigan get the chance to play there next year or maybe a Magic Weekend in a couple of years