B-Sample is Positive: Hock

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: B-Sample is Positive: Hock

Post by Kittwazzer »

GeoffN wrote: If he can stay clean, and stay fit, I'd want to see him back at the end of his 2 years. In any walk of life, once a sentence is served, it should be a clean slate, the punishment shouldn't go on for ever, otherwise why not make it a lifetime ban from the start?
I don't think anyone is advocating a lifetime ban. The point most people are making is that his situation should be re-assessed and any decisions made in 2 years time when the ban has been served.

I would be amazed if he comes back from the next 2 years as a wothwhile asset to Wigan or anyone else! His biggest problem is not what will happen in 2 years time but what he intends to make of those 2 years!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Kittwazzer wrote:
GeoffN wrote: If he can stay clean, and stay fit, I'd want to see him back at the end of his 2 years. In any walk of life, once a sentence is served, it should be a clean slate, the punishment shouldn't go on for ever, otherwise why not make it a lifetime ban from the start?
I don't think anyone is advocating a lifetime ban. The point most people are making is that his situation should be re-assessed and any decisions made in 2 years time when the ban has been served.

I would be amazed if he comes back from the next 2 years as a wothwhile asset to Wigan or anyone else! The man is an addict and his biggest problem is not what will happen in 2 years time but what he intends to make of those 2 years!
I agree absolutely, but at least if it's made clear that he's got a chance of coming back if he behaves, it might be an incentive for him to rehabilitate himself.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Will he continue to be tested throughout the ban?

Because if he is not; is not likely that he may well think "I can do what I like for the next 18 months" and end up making some more poor decisions.

Likewise; he could spend the next 2 years drinking and not bother training at all; in which case he would not be fit for a pub side when his ban is up.

We should keep his registration; so that we have "first refusal" on his services - but he has to prove that in two years time he still wants to be and is capable of being a RL player
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
bertina

Post by bertina »

GeoffN wrote: As I understand it, we can retain his registration, even though he's not playing (as Bradford did with Pryce when he went to Union).

If he can stay clean, and stay fit, I'd want to see him back at the end of his 2 years. In any walk of life, once a sentence is served, it should be a clean slate, the punishment shouldn't go on for ever, otherwise why not make it a lifetime ban from the start?
I agree Geoff. As you say, the ban is for 2 years not life.
As he is under contract to us, we can retain his registration and so have the opportunity to re-employ him in two years if we think it is worthwhile.
My concern is this.If the lad can't leave the white stuff alone when he knows he is running the risk of a ban, and when he is at the top of his form, then what chance is there of him leaving it alone while he is moping around kicking his heels for two years.
I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I fear we may have seen the last of Gareth Hock as a top flight RL player.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

weststand-rich wrote:A shame and a waste for everyone really. Now the dust has settled on this, I think a 2 year ban for cocaine use is on harsh side and doesn't really address the issue of an addictive problem.

The whole point of drugs testing in professional sport is to stop people actively cheating and gaining a competative advantage by using performance enhancers. Cocaine in this context is not a performance enhancer. There are cheaper and better stimulants available if you want to do this - look at Keith Senior who 'accidently' took ephedrine as part of a cold remedy :roll:.

What Gareth Hock has done is stupid and illegal, but he's not done it to cheat and become a better rugby player. Compare this to say Ryan Hudson who was banned for a similar period for taking the anabolic steroid Winstrol / Stanazol. In his case it's fair because that drug rapidly increases muscle mass and muscle strength and would actively improve on field performance so.

The anti-doping policy by lumping cocaine in with everything else is clumsy and blunt. I think a better way to deal with cocaine use by a player, say over Growth Hormone or a Steroid, would be a semi-punative rehab programme by the RFL. This could take the form of a 6 month ban while the player is retained on a minimal salary. During this period, the player would have to undergo rehab and a period of community work for the RFL and the club. When playing can resume, random cocaine testing would be performed in house at players expense for the rest of their registered period of playing. I think a programme along these lines is much fairer than the blanket 2 year ban currently in place.
the lad was stupid but he must now pay the consquences but i think the system stinks when it is not even performance enhancing

look what happend to Cunningham at Stains ( got off with it and he had performance enhancing )
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN wrote:If he can stay clean, and stay fit, I'd want to see him back at the end of his 2 years. In any walk of life, once a sentence is served, it should be a clean slate, the punishment shouldn't go on for ever, otherwise why not make it a lifetime ban from the start?
It isn't a lifetime ban as Hudson's case shows. However Wigan has no obligation to take Hock back on after his ban is served as Bradford didn't with Hudson. That isn't turning a two year ban into a lifetime ban from the sport but a club taking a view if they want the player back at the club or not.

I don't think it is a given Wigan will take him back even if he does stay clean and fit. So I think we will have to see what Wigan's view is on his future once the ban is confirmed.

Of course they could could stick to the terse matter of fact statements issued so far (saying his contract is terminated I expect) and make no comment about the future one way or the other.

Dave
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Fujiman wrote:
weststand-rich wrote:A shame and a waste for everyone really. Now the dust has settled on this, I think a 2 year ban for cocaine use is on harsh side and doesn't really address the issue of an addictive problem.

The whole point of drugs testing in professional sport is to stop people actively cheating and gaining a competative advantage by using performance enhancers. Cocaine in this context is not a performance enhancer. There are cheaper and better stimulants available if you want to do this - look at Keith Senior who 'accidently' took ephedrine as part of a cold remedy :roll:.

What Gareth Hock has done is stupid and illegal, but he's not done it to cheat and become a better rugby player. Compare this to say Ryan Hudson who was banned for a similar period for taking the anabolic steroid Winstrol / Stanazol. In his case it's fair because that drug rapidly increases muscle mass and muscle strength and would actively improve on field performance so.

The anti-doping policy by lumping cocaine in with everything else is clumsy and blunt. I think a better way to deal with cocaine use by a player, say over Growth Hormone or a Steroid, would be a semi-punative rehab programme by the RFL. This could take the form of a 6 month ban while the player is retained on a minimal salary. During this period, the player would have to undergo rehab and a period of community work for the RFL and the club. When playing can resume, random cocaine testing would be performed in house at players expense for the rest of their registered period of playing. I think a programme along these lines is much fairer than the blanket 2 year ban currently in place.
Premiership footballer just tested for the same thing. Bottom line is if you get caught you accept the consequences.He knew what he was doing and is now paying the price. If him getting caught stops more young people taking it some good has come out of it
Taking Cocaine and any other drugs, performance enhancing or not, is an unacceptable manner to perform in any sport, especially where young kids can be influenced by their idols.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

medlocke wrote:If it had been Colbon instead of Hock would anyone want to keep him involved with the club so we could have him back after the ban, i doubt it, the fact is Hock has been a nuaghty boy and been caught, if this had been any random bloke on the street the majority of posters on here and other websites would be calling the guy scum, it takes the wee really, we should have nothing further to do with Hock. Look at Ryan Hudson did he get any support from anywhere, and what about Martin Pearson, he got found out when he were dropping E's did Halifax bother about him when he was banned, the answer is no, and for the naive posters who have no real experience with the drug world, Hock will do it again, it isn't a shame, theres no need to worry about him, fact is he is trouble and every one knows this, he couldn't leave his past behind and he never will, i doubt he will be seen in the world of profesional RL again, you'll probabley have more chance seeing him with a running nose down King stret,
I personally have had first hand experience of both drugs and alcohol.My wife who is sadly no longer with us at the young age of thirty-seven was an alcoholic for many years.She was given the chance to rehabilitate and did so.Going on to sit her degree.She died without knowing that she had passed with flying colours.I also have very good friend who's son was addicted to heroine.She supported him throughout his addiction of which sadly she failed.Considering the fact that he sadly died of a drugs over dose.Consequently I do believe that he Hock should be taken under the umbrella of the rugby league family and helped to kick his habit.My own personal view.And yes I would like to see Hock back in a Wigan shirt. :D
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

DaveO wrote:Someone has suggested on rlfans the resulting two year ban is a ban form any contact with the sport of RL whatsoever.

Dave
I disagree with that. Look at cycling, the most tested sport in the world. Alexandre Vinoukorov of Astana tested positive 2 years ago and was banned... he has been and still is working in team Astana. Many athletes still work within athletics, Dwain Chambers did, he even trained with athletes.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Forgive my ignorance but is the ban actually 2 years or 2 seasons? Like if he gets officially banned in August will he be back August 2011? Or will he be banned for 2 full seasons i.e. not back playing til 2012?
Up The Mont!