Amos Roberts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shevi 4 life

Amos Roberts

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Idk why everyone is getting on the back of amos roberts , in my eyes he is a decent winger (better than ainscough imo, and safer under the high ball and his defence is solid) as much as people are saying that its his fault matt king scored so many points, unfortunately matt king decided he'd preform tonight, and showed the quality he would show week in week out in the NRL.

However i have too ask the question, why does amos roberts have too mark matt king? surely it his matt kings opposing centre's job too mark him?

Look at his average game, in defence if the opposing team has an overlap on his wing, he shoots in out the line and 9/10 times makes a tackle which could effectively save us a try, and possibly the match.

I spoke too some rooster fans, and some rabbitoh fans when i was in australia they both spoke incredibly highely of amos, so if you're saying that his garbage, think again. I know players do not show the same form in super league and the NRL, but i believe he will settle, and that some people need too open their eyes a little, just because he doesnt score 100m tries every week, doesnt mean he is poor in attack at all.

Ainscough may not be playing because they dont want him too take room on the salary cap, or as hard it is for me too admit this, probably harder for others too accept it, amos roberts is a better player than shaun ainscough.
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
leeh2101

Re: Amos Roberts

Post by leeh2101 »

the problem is with some fans they seem to think that the new player will come in and gel with the team instantlty and unfortunatlety this rarley happens, pat richards, matt king, for example have taken at least a season to start to show there form, and we stuck with richards and for me is now one of our key players, even though amos has made some stupid decisions recently i mean the grubber in our own 25 against stains was baffling
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

i understand this, but imo some of the things he has done have been good for us, from what the aussies were saying, he is best in space, the only match he has been in "space" coincidently has been his best match for us. He might not look the best offensive option for us when we are close to the line.

He tries his heart out, and just because he doesnt make 100m runs for wigan and has a lapse in judgement every so often (which all players do) means he is crap?

imo he is very much an unsung hero.

Watch what he does in defence, what he does on his kick returns, and the play after his kick returns, and in the off chance he is in open space.

I'm not saying that he is the best player/winger in the world, im just pointing out that he's not the player that is just "coasting" through the side, and getting into the starting 13 every week, because he's an aussie. That everyone is making him out to be.
mario

Post by mario »

Does it matter wgat he had done in the NRL?
He's here now and he's playing C**P,It would be nice if he could catch the ball on occasions!
ian b

Post by ian b »

Shevi 4 life wrote:i understand this, but imo some of the things he has done have been good for us, from what the aussies were saying, he is best in space, the only match he has been in "space" coincidently has been his best match for us. He might not look the best offensive option for us when we are close to the line.

He tries his heart out, and just because he doesnt make 100m runs for wigan and has a lapse in judgement every so often (which all players do) means he is crap?

imo he is very much an unsung hero.

Watch what he does in defence, what he does on his kick returns, and the play after his kick returns, and in the off chance he is in open space.

I'm not saying that he is the best player/winger in the world, im just pointing out that he's not the player that is just "coasting" through the side, and getting into the starting 13 every week, because he's an aussie. That everyone is making him out to be.
I like Amos and his defence is good and maybe we need a better centre inside him to get him the space he needs
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Possibly, or dare i say it a new coach, Brian Noble's tactics with wigan are the same as what they were with Bradford, play for field position and when the opportunity arises (when we are in the oppositions half/twenty) use some good ball plays and some decent sized players too barge over.

We dont score many tries from the middle of the pitch, that's why people think he is crap simply because we are not looking too score from the area he does best in.
mario wrote:Does it matter wgat he had done in the NRL?
He's here now and he's playing C**P,It would be nice if he could catch the ball on occasions!
I did say that, he's not playing crap at all, he played against a WORLD CLASS centre, put anyone their on our team, i can guarantee not many of them could stop matt king AND beat him in the air.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ian Thornley
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

cpwigan wrote:Ian Thornley
perhaps someone with more experience and who can settle the side down. Which is what we need imo.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

amos reminds me of Pat' after Pats first season here i would of carried him home on my back and left him there ,now i think he the most cosistent player in our team so im hoping we get something similar out of Amos and maybe even Riddler
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Shevi 4 life wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Ian Thornley
perhaps someone with more experience and who can settle the side down. Which is what we need imo.
Youngsters can handle the wing. It's not one of the more difficult positions. Thornley could have competed v King. Pryce should be able to but cannot.

For what it's worth I do not think it is fair to castigate Roberts for King getting that kick before him. It was a great kick, the Wire players are running onto the ball and are always in a better position which is the same reason why Wigan fans say how come Amos catches the ball in attack but not defence.

There is only one rule in any sport when competing for a ball. The player who gets up first invariably wins the ball. Failing that the other player has to use gamesmanship or tactics to concentrate upon stopping the other player getting the ball at all or cleanly. The one advantages defenders habve over attackers is that they do not need to catch the ball. They can handball it or make life so difficult that the ball is dropped / bounces which then becomes a competition for other players.