lockers/roberts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
100% Warrior

Re: lockers/roberts

Post by 100% Warrior »

I think it's rather harsh to have a pop at Lockers, he's been outstanding for us throughout the season.

The guy in charge of team selection put him in this position, far as I'm concerned we've been the in form team for the last month then go and change the team for the seasons most important game.

Faith should have been shown in the players whose performances as a team have been great these last few games.

We should have ensured a place at Wembley was secured, then spent the following couple of games getting Lockers & Bailey match fit for the final.

Sadly, we won't get that opportunity now.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Maybe it is me but if you do not play the week before for either the first team or the reserves you should not be selected for the first team. You have to prove your fitness IMO. Maybe at best a cameo spot on the bench for a 20 minute stint is the best you should be allowed.

However, let's be clear Lockers was in MOS form before his injury. He was fantastic. Even when injured he led the club as a captain if you read the player comments after the Celtic defeat. The key point is he should never have been put in the position he was given the squad of players we have.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

sheepdip wrote:I had a bad feeling about this game as soon I heard O Loughlin may be playing. I do not think its just a coincidence we have had our best winning run of the season whilst he has been injured, and now he has returned we are back to normal.

Lack of interpersonal skills

Poor body language

Does not interact with the players on the field

I have said it until I am BLUE in the face. HE SHOULD NOT BE CAPTAIN.

I think his shortcomings influence the teams performance.
All I said on a thread I made on this subject, is that if Lockers is FULLY fit he should play.
He knew he wasnt and so did Noble.
Where is the duty of care here.
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

cpwigan wrote:Blaming lockers is unfair IMO. It was the coach who should have exercised duty of care.
I agree if O'Loughlin was not fit he should have not have played. I have never criticised O'Loughlin's playing performances on the field and I am sure he is a nice lad. I just believe he has not got the qualities required to captain the team.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Maybe it is me but if you do not play the week before for either the first team or the reserves you should not be selected for the first team.
That maxim even applies at Junior Rugby level. If a kid misses a training session during the week, he does not expect to get a full game on a Sunday. If he misses them both, he needn't bother turning up in his kit!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Sheepdip what do you believe the qualities are?
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:Blaming lockers is unfair IMO. It was the coach who should have exercised duty of care.
I understand what you are saying CP, however, there were two people that knew Lockers wasnt fully fit, Noble was one of them, yes.
But so did Shaun himself.
A player will always make himself available, irespective of niggles and knocks, the same can be said of fitness levels.
Both should have been more honest to the team in this selection.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

However, as you say PM ask any player are you fit and they say yes. The coach gets paid to know better.
Panchitta Marra

cpwigan wrote:However, as you say PM ask any player are you fit and they say yes. The coach gets paid to know better.
So true, and that is the meaning of my point CP, Lockers knew himself, he was not 100% fit, hence "duty of care".
Of course the coach should know better, i goes without saying.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It's a strange thing duty of care at Wigan RLFC. It only applies to players under 21 :D