Sliding Doors Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Sliding Doors Semi Final

Post by cpwigan »

Obviously we did not play very well but I actually feel had some different decisions been taken early in the game the outcome could have been very different.

1) The decision not to sin bin Adrian Morley for a classic professional foul whereby he denied a try (I know we scored in the next set but had we not, he would have stopped a try and remained on the field). Down to 12 men during a period that sets the tone for the game and would have hasd an impact on the energy levels of the Wire players.

2) The decision to take 2pts instead of maintaining pressure and trying to score a try seemed IMO to be very negative and backfired badly.

3). Pat's intercept. Had it stuck we would have been 14-0 up. From the resulting scrum Wire score.
wiggydoran

Re: Sliding Doors Semi Final

Post by wiggydoran »

I agree with all of the above CP but they were all in the 1st 20 mins. Who know what would have heppened.

The other one is PAT being taken out in back play in half way through the first half.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

True Wiggy I had forgotten that. After the first 20 it went pear shaped alas. I do not think Wire were that good personally other than murdering us down the middle with small men like Monaghan.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Classic the voluntry tackle just before Tommy scored .Lee Briars on his own ten yard line just dived on the ball and nobody touched him look at the reaction on his face when he knew he got away with it.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Typical wigan the whole season though.

We have the players who can win games, bu the application isn't there for the full 80 mins.

I agree that we could have been pretty much out of site if those had gone our way, but we still somehow had the opportunities to win it up to the 73rd minute.

If our players had displayed more composure and cut the errors then we would have won even without those key incidents.

I am leaning towards the view that the preparation of our players is not at the quality and consistency to make sure we apply teh same consistence and composure during the game.

As an ex-coach used to say - it's only perfect practice that makes perfect.........
joeb

Post by joeb »

all ifs and butts,if me mam was a bloke she would have been me dad,bottom line we was not good enough
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:mossop must be pretty miffed at this point in time
Indeed, had he been available for Huddersfield who are above us in the league and beat Saints in a meaningful game (which we havent done in a long long time), he would have been picked yet he didnt get picked for us, what does that tell you?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

mickw wrote:reasons to be cheerful,our young players comming through are quality and give us real hope,they are the ones who have turned our season from being a complete disaster into a more respectable one.they are leading the way not the overseas recruits,at most other clubs its the other way round.the most dissapointing thing for me was our complete lack of composure throughout the game with 20 mins left we were 12 points down but we were in a blind panic,we had nobody with a clear head.
Lack of composure when falling behind has been a problem on quite a few occasions, especially earlier in the season. I am confident that post Noble this current crop of youngsters will bring us success. It will come at the same time Saints fade away back to were they belong. Their new ground will look great with 4-5K on HA HA
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

cpwigan wrote:Obviously we did not play very well but I actually feel had some different decisions been taken early in the game the outcome could have been very different.

1) The decision not to sin bin Adrian Morley for a classic professional foul whereby he denied a try (I know we scored in the next set but had we not, he would have stopped a try and remained on the field). Down to 12 men during a period that sets the tone for the game and would have hasd an impact on the energy levels of the Wire players.

2) The decision to take 2pts instead of maintaining pressure and trying to score a try seemed IMO to be very negative and backfired badly.

3). Pat's intercept. Had it stuck we would have been 14-0 up. From the resulting scrum Wire score.
also the cheating little shit briers looking over his shoulder and backing in to pat and then having to listen to balless comentators who wouldn,t call him a cheat