Will the RFL stand up and be counted?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
robjoenz

Re: Will the RFL stand up and be counted?

Post by robjoenz »

Found it (19:20), I think it happened because Dean fell as they drove him back. Silverwood actually penalised for lifting if you listen to the commentary.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan wrote:Between the 20 and 25th minute judging by my post Rob if the site clock is acurate. The Aussies are red hot on this after McCracken sued when he was hurt. I guess it will take something similar for the RFL to act.
Do you not think it was just an unfortunate combination? It's not as though he deliberately lifted the legs in the air and drove the body head-first into the ground - that's a spear tackle - the sort McCracken sued for if I recall correctly.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It wasn't a perfect spear in the sense of doing as you say turning him completely over but many respects it is worse because you have far more control over his body and are driving him head first into the ground. Very often with the spear the ball carrier gets free before he hits the ground and can sometimes adjust. For me if you have control and give the ball carrier none you can do masdsive damage. It is the same with slamming the head of a player into hard ground. A grapply might look worse but forcing the head to hit the ground is often worse.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan wrote:It wasn't a perfect spear in the sense of doing as you say turning him completely over but many respects it is worse because you have far more control over his body and are driving him head first into the ground. Very often with the spear the ball carrier gets free before he hits the ground and can sometimes adjust. For me if you have control and give the ball carrier none you can do masdsive damage. It is the same with slamming the head of a player into hard ground. A grapply might look worse but forcing the head to hit the ground is often worse.
It's not a spear tackle... a spear is the type like that on McCracken. The tackle on O'Driscoll when Ireland RU played the Kiwis is often branded a spear but he didn't drive him into the ground, he cartwheeled him. I think this is less dangerous as, like you said, you get a moment to adjust.

Both of the above type of tackles involve deliberately lifting the legs so the head is more than likely going to hit the ground first.

Puletua lifted him to the horizonal and Dean slipped as they drove him back meaning Lolesi's head neared the ground. I agree it became dangerous, I just don't think it was deliberate like a spear / cartwheel would be. It was careless.