match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: match

Post by cpwigan »

It was an odd game that Wire made a mockery of with their pre match selections and in game changes. Some nice tries, unusually bad kicking by Pat but the game as a whole had the feel of a pre season friendly bar the crowd being vocal. Wire will struggle to make the 8.
Shevi 4 life

Tonights Match.

Post by Shevi 4 life »

Imo it was expected that whoever won the semi-final last week would lose this week. Tony Smith almost confirmed that by playing the side he did (not taking anything away from us though.)

However i do think Feka did not deserve man of the match,He gave a few good offloads but yet again he was marked. Fielden i thought was poor again. Coley didnt play aswell this week nor did prescott but they both still were solid and our best props on the field.

I also hope the thread i started last week on Amos Roberts would prove me right and it has done, he has yet had another solid game imo, he looked dangerous in space (which i said last week) He closed down over laps like he has done week in, week out for wigan.

I know he has taken some stick and i know some people will disagree with this, but i watched him carefully tonight and i did think he played well. Although i do think he is STILL finding his feet in our team and still working up a partnership with martin gleeson.

Anyother comments???? or disagreements....

I also thought that noble needs to get a pair. He needs too start dropping players like tony smith did for warrington ( I know i was singing his praises, probably undeserved but still i had come from 48 hours of travelling coming back from australia so i blame that :D)
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
DaveO

Re: Tonights Match.

Post by DaveO »

Shevi 4 life wrote:However i do think Feka did not deserve man of the match,He gave a few good offloads but yet again he was marked. Fielden i thought was poor again. Coley didnt play aswell this week nor did prescott but they both still were solid and our best props on the field.
Feka got the sympathy vote for MoM after last week IMO. I thought Carmont was dangerous, Sam T while not perfect shows he will be a great player given time. Not sure if anyone really stood out. TL was also dangerous and Phepls scored a nice individual try.
I also hope the thread i started last week on Amos Roberts would prove me right and it has done, he has yet had another solid game imo, he looked dangerous in space (which i said last week) He closed down over laps like he has done week in, week out for wigan.
Tonights game proved me right as well about Roberts. :wink: He lacks pace. Dangerous in space he isn't unless you mean he is OK if he has no one to beat.
I know he has taken some stick and i know some people will disagree with this, but i watched him carefully tonight and i did think he played well. Although i do think he is STILL finding his feet in our team and still working up a partnership with martin gleeson.
He is too slow. In fact our back line is not blessed with pace as more often then not when there is a foot race on both Richards and Roberts need to pass to a support player rather than take the man on on the outside. If they are given a decent start and a clear run they may hold off the less speedy players in the opposition side but neither of them have beaten a man on the outside with sheer pace all season.
Anyother comments???? or disagreements....

I also thought that noble needs to get a pair. He needs too start dropping players like tony smith did for warrington ( I know i was singing his praises, probably undeserved but still i had come from 48 hours of travelling coming back from australia so i blame that :D)
He could start with Riddell who I thought was garbage.

I also think he has brought Lockers back too soon. He looks very stiff legged to me compared to how he was playing before his injury. We have shown we had the cover over the four weeks he was out and Tony Smith more or less sent Nobby a telegram saying he would play a weaker side so IMO he could have usefully rested Lockers rather than risking him and put Farrell in the side. An opportunity lost to blood another young player and give Lockers a bit more R&R. Typical Nobby.

As to the game the first 15 to 20 minutes was awful at times. Some of the passing was atrocious.

Then we seemed to click and what IMO won it for us was some very quick PTB's and we had Wire on the back foot for the next 30 mins of the game. Then toward the end we lost shape with several substitutions and let them score a couple of consolation tries.

We did the job we had to do. If Pat's form with the boot was better the score would have a better look too it given the relative strengths of the two sides but this was a no win situation for us. If we had of lost we would have never heard the end of it but even winning by 20 points is only what we were expected to do.

Dave
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

It was difficult to pick a Man of the Match on tonights game I thought. I don't think Feka got it on a sympathy vote, but on the fact that he had a hand in three tries and two great efforts in covering back (although his defence over the next few tackles after he had run back was woeful).
Riddell and Roberts simply do not merit starting places.
Roberts does not demonstrate an ounce of commitment or desire. He knows he will get picked next week and he has a contract in the bag for the next three years.
The next time Riddell is going to put a chip over for the winger as he tried late on tonight, I suggest he sets up a web site advertising it beforehand.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shaun1967 wrote:It was difficult to pick a Man of the Match on tonights game I thought.
That is true. No real stand out players but on reflection I'd give it to Carmont who I thought was our most dangerous player.
Riddell and Roberts simply do not merit starting places.
Roberts does not demonstrate an ounce of commitment or desire. He knows he will get picked next week and he has a contract in the bag for the next three years.
The next time Riddell is going to put a chip over for the winger as he tried late on tonight, I suggest he sets up a web site advertising it beforehand.
Roberts and Riddell are not the players they were cracked up to be. Roberts is IL's "flying" winger. Someone clipped his wings.

Riddell is just poor for the majority of the time. He has had a few good games and the odd bit of good play but tonight he ought to be the one on Nobby's list of five players who were facing the axe to be dropped. That pass to Tomkins feet has surely laid to rest this guy is some sort of master when it comes to ball handling skills and that kick you mention was appalling. Not because it went right down the wingers throat but because there must have been 30m of space in front of him for him to make something of and I just don't think he had the legs or could be bothered to actually move form where he was stood!

Dave
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Phelps got coaches MOM
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Having watched it again what an odd game. We played some great stuff at time but the last 20 was shocking for both teams.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I thought that Carmont should have got MOM - he was dangerous in attack; both creating and support play and put in some big hits in defence. Sam played well, as did Phelps, Richards and most of the forwards (Flannegan especially).

It was only at the end that we let wire add some respectablilty to the score line.

It was a pretty scrappy match - but it helps our play off aspirations; it also damages wire's - which is no bad thing

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------