do we need two refs in the game like the aussies.

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
mitch2k9

do we need two refs in the game like the aussies.

Post by mitch2k9 »

I know it would be following the aussies but after tonights reffing it would be a good thing.Some of the mistakes that were missed in the game tonight were amateur. Take warringtons first try for instance never should have been given.And stolen ball things like that just a suggestion :exc: :exc:
highland convert

Re: do we need two refs in the game like the aussies.

Post by highland convert »

Just to cut down the ball steal and video ref time would make it worth it. Now every try seems to go upstairs.
Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The two refs works well IMO but even the Aussies have struggled to find enough referees and have had to promote several too quickly in their own opinion. If the Aussies struggle to find enough referees. Imagine SL.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Why cant all the officials be trained up to be grade 1 refs, then they could all do every job on the field for example Ganson could be a touch judge one week and in goal the week after. Then you would get the officials actually making decisions and not being afraid to voice their opinion to the ref. You wouldnt need two refs then as you would in effect have five.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:The two refs works well IMO but even the Aussies have struggled to find enough referees and have had to promote several too quickly in their own opinion. If the Aussies struggle to find enough referees. Imagine SL.
CP,
Do you think the speed of the "Play the Ball" has increased in Australia this season, and if so, how much is down to having two referees.
It is imperative that, as Nothern Hemisphere, we maintain a skills and pace level on par with the Australians.
IMO, if than means two referees, then so be it.
We are well wayward of their skils level at the moment.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

PM I think prior to this season our POTB was too fast and the NRL was too slow. However, at least when it is too slow, a bit like 5 yards instead of 10 yards, the players have to use more skill to open up defences. We were in danger of becoming a 5 scoots and kick game in SL and the RLWC with different rules left us looking silly.

The 2 referees has speeded up the NRL to what I would call the ideal speed where both defence and attack have opportunities. being able to police the POTB more has stopped illegal play being as common.

IOdeally, we could have followed suit and bypassed the slow phase that we are going through now and that British fans IMO do not like. So we are where the NRL was 4 years ago. Sadly we simply do not have the referees. The one possible is to pair an experienced referee with a young inexperienced referee. I know we mock the top referees but the difference between those and the ones refereeing the lower leagues, reserve/academy and amateur is far greater than people often assume.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

cpwigan wrote:PM I think prior to this season our POTB was too fast and the NRL was too slow. However, at least when it is too slow, a bit like 5 yards instead of 10 yards, the players have to use more skill to open up defences. We were in danger of becoming a 5 scoots and kick game in SL and the RLWC with different rules left us looking silly.

The 2 referees has speeded up the NRL to what I would call the ideal speed where both defence and attack have opportunities. being able to police the POTB more has stopped illegal play being as common.

IOdeally, we could have followed suit and bypassed the slow phase that we are going through now and that British fans IMO do not like. So we are where the NRL was 4 years ago. Sadly we simply do not have the referees. The one possible is to pair an experienced referee with a young inexperienced referee. I know we mock the top referees but the difference between those and the ones refereeing the lower leagues, reserve/academy and amateur is far greater than people often assume.

refereeing standards have not progressed since the days of Billy Thompson and Eric Clay

what i would suggest is that we do away with the video referee altogether and make them make decisions for themselves be they right or be they wrong
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Could you just imagine two refs like Silverwood?Hear bugger all,and see nowt.It's bad enough having one clown without having to put up with two!!!That excludes our very own Turf of course. :D
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:PM I think prior to this season our POTB was too fast and the NRL was too slow. However, at least when it is too slow, a bit like 5 yards instead of 10 yards, the players have to use more skill to open up defences. We were in danger of becoming a 5 scoots and kick game in SL and the RLWC with different rules left us looking silly.

CP, I couldnt agree with you more regarding how far we are behind the Southern Hemisphere game which now includes New Zealand.
To bridge that gap We must do all we can, and applying the same refereeing and game stratergy as the Australians would help I am sure.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It's clear from this thread and the responses to mine (below) that the thing which frustrates us most, both fans and players, is inconsistency in refereeing. I'm really not convinced that the video referee has actually improved things, and in-goal judges at all non-televised matches seem to work well enough. I firmly believe that the on-field referee should make decisions, but whether they should then be subject to VR review, and who should ask for them, is another debate.
One thing is certain however, that television is here to stay and largely has been very good for our game. We simply can't take the money and then complain if the TV shows that we aren't getting things right.
As to whether a second on field referee would improve things, it's a bit early to say. Let's ask the Aussies in a year or two. It's clear that they aren't certain either!
Stevethegas