Atkins to Wire, Johnson to Wakefield

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Re: Atkins to Wire, Johnson to Wakefield

Post by cpwigan »

Its not a simple player for player deal
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Considering what Carmont is rumoured to be on - it would be a very poor decision to let him go. He remains the best centre at our club and whilst he has had a shoulder problem for a while now; the fact that he is still playing shows his grit and determination - and there is every chance that the injury will get better in the off season. Also I particularly liked the way that when glass-jaw king had a pop at Sam on Saturday, Carmont ran in to back him up. That is the job of the experienced players in the side.

If we're not going to sign anyone for next year; then we shouldn't be looking to make our squad even smaller.

Lastly, consider this. Pyrce has already signed for next year - who deserves another year at Wigan out of the two of them?

No contest for me. George should stay
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

pedro wrote:
God wrote:Carvell, Morley,King,Atkins,Myler the Anderson bros, Briers, Monaghan,Clarke and Westwood hmmmm something is not quite right here.
aswell as Hicks, Bridge, Wood, Rahuhi (sp)
they have also signed fu fu moi moi (spelling) for next year along with Myler and Atkins. Myler is already being paid for as Salford are strapped for cash according to one of my work mates who was at the game on Saturday
Rauhihi is being released
this came from someone on the wire board apparently
But I also got this from some happy wire fans at work this morning
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fui Fui is going nowhere.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wiggydoran wrote:IL has been backed in a corner by the old management of this club. Mainly the long term deal for Stu and maybe Feka are both meant to be on big money. Once their contract is up then we may be able to sign some more decent players.
IL is backing himself into a corner never mind the old management because he said not long after he arrived not much could be done until 2010 because it wasn't until then some major contracts started to expire.

He was of course right as we have had several contracts expire this season that were pre-IL such as TL's.

What has he done? Signed them all up again. There is only Bailey to be decided upon and so far the only confirmed exit of out of contract players is Smith.

We look to be going into next season minus Smith and Hock and with no recruits and I simply do not believe all this is down to Fielden and Feka's wages.

Our team isn't good enough and we keep re-signing out of contract players!

I know he said we have improved the deals of several you players but how many of them do we actually play in the side when we have a fully fit squad? Mossop was dropped like a read hot coal as soon as Bailey was fit and we all know what happened to Ainscough.

Our recruitment under IL has IMO been complete garbage with the likes of Riddell and Roberts on long term deals and as we re-signed one out of contract player after another the potential pot of money to recruit players got smaller and smaller.

Apparently we will now only sign top class overseas players. Well none of the overseas players signed by IL are top class! He says one thing and does another.

Dave
pedro

Post by pedro »

Out - Flanagan, Bailey, Hock, Smith, Matehrs
In - Gleeson

I see something wrong there
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Biggest contradiction by IL regarding the young guns first question he asked at the forum "Why do you think we have had a good run in the last few matches".The answer came back that it was young blood in the team.
Following that when he announced that there would be new signings and would be sticking with the squad we have albeit a young second string.Noble has proved that he is not interested in the young players even when they are playing in top form if a seasoned player comes back he goes straight back in the team regardless. Would Sam Tomkins be in the side if Smith had not got injured ???Noble only plays the young guys when he is forced to.
IL if you want to play the young players have a word with the coach as he dosen't seem to want to play them unless forced to.
IL if we cant have new players please get us a coach that can bring the young lads through.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

pedro wrote:and we have lost our best player...second year in a row and signed no-one for next year :conf:
atkins as got the makings of a very good centre we should have gone for him 2 years ago
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Hampo is god

Post by Hampo is god »

I apologise if already been discussed previously but a colleague i work with who coaches with widnes youngsters, but has contacts at wire,informed me they have signed Danny Tickle for next term. I like others are puzzled about how they are not over their salary cap?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

jaws1 wrote:Biggest contradiction by IL regarding the young guns first question he asked at the forum "Why do you think we have had a good run in the last few matches".The answer came back that it was young blood in the team.
Following that when he announced that there would be new signings and would be sticking with the squad we have albeit a young second string.Noble has proved that he is not interested in the young players even when they are playing in top form if a seasoned player comes back he goes straight back in the team regardless. Would Sam Tomkins be in the side if Smith had not got injured ???Noble only plays the young guys when he is forced to.
IL if you want to play the young players have a word with the coach as he dosen't seem to want to play them unless forced to.
IL if we cant have new players please get us a coach that can bring the young lads through.
:eusa2: :eusa2: Spot on Jaws, I too think we have a half decent squad of young players.
Ok there have been some poor buys.
Roberts is running like a cart horse when he can clearly be much faster in a footrace and reaction, if trained properly.
A sprinter doesnt loose 15 meters of speed in a season unless he is trained to do so.
The coach is in charge of all fitness, albeit sometimes indirectly.
With a flyer like Roberts why has his speed not been maintained. Get someone who can bring it back, and pick the inform, fit team into the bargain.
The best current Wigan Squad was well capable of winning the challenge cup final this season, not just the semi final two weeks ago. Team selection & tactics put pay to that. This is unacceptable at Wigan RLFC.