Exciting Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Exciting Players

Post by ChrisA »

Is it me or, as a whole in this country are we failing to turn out players who excite, players with genuine flare like we used to do. Theres no characters anymore, theres no room for them now, all we want is players who are fit, the game is just churning out the same type of player at every club.

You look back over the last 10-15 years at the backs weve had especially.

British Backs from 10-15 years , players with real pace and flare, players who where exciting to watch.

Martin Offiah
Joe Lydon
Jason Robinson
Mark Preston
Alan Hunte
Anthony Sullivan
John Bentley
Andy Currier
Darren Wright
Gary Connolly
Paul Newlove
Paul Loughlin
Jonathan Davies
Graham Steadman
Allan Bateman
Phil Ford

All these guys could score tries, they all had pace or the abilty to make a break and setup their wingers. Look at what we have now, we have 2 good centres, Senior and Gleeson, and 1 good winger in Carney, after that we have nothing.

Then you look at the halves.

Gregory
Edwards
Schofield
Tony Myler
Deryck fox

These guys are totally different class than Mcguire, Harris, Long, Deacon, Orr and Burrows, the players we have in contention for G.B.

we_need_a_coach

Re: Exciting Players

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( They are certainly in a different class to Orr !!!
king carney

Post by king carney »

In your last thread you mentioned how much the game had changed. As a youngster i didnt really catch to the gregory era and only really caught the end of the edwards era, so i couldnt fully understand how and what they did!
therefore in my opinion i believe in the british players because quality is still there, (not as good as the auzzies tho). Maybe the british, in your opinion, are not as good but, its a diffrent game and it asks for diffrent things i.e. more pace in the halfbacks and better defence from wingers, i seem to remeber at times martin offia couldnt catch a cold! i belive the excitment is still there as is the tallent is just that everyone else has improved to so its a harder quicker game to play.
we_need_a_coach

:( It's coaches that make the difference !!!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

It's interesting looking at other people's lists of former greats. Loughlin would be out for me. In would go Henderson Gill (excitement) and Alan Tait (class) but where do you stop? John Devereux?

Anyway, one thing is certain. A 21yrs old Offiah would run riot today. What was the try scoring record last yr - 36ish? Offiah would have vanished into the sunset!! Mind you, how many would he have let in?? :wink:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

jinkin jimmy posted:
It's interesting looking at other people's lists of former greats. Loughlin would be out for me. In would go Henderson Gill (excitement) and Alan Tait (class) but where do you stop? John Devereux?

Anyway, one thing is certain. A 21yrs old Offiah would run riot today. What was the try scoring record last yr - 36ish? Offiah would have vanished into the sunset!! Mind you, how many would he have let in?? :wink:
Yeah add Tait and Devereux to my list, I forgot them as i made this post at 3 a.m this morning beofre i went to bed, and im sure theres more you could add to the list whove played over the last 15 years. You look at the so called talented backs we have now, and theres only Carney whos capable of scoring a length of the field try beating 3 or 4 defenders whilst flying down the wing.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

we_need_a_coach posted:
Rubbish! anyone could have been the coach of our '85-'94 squad, they'd still have won everything.
On the other topic...Tait? Offiah used to make him look silly just for the fun of it.
we_need_a_coach

GeoffN posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:
Rubbish! anyone could have been the coach of our '85-'94 squad, they'd still have won everything.
On the other topic...Tait? Offiah used to make him look silly just for the fun of it.

:angry: Rubish, how dare you !!!

Bring in a decent coach now and we still have a chance of a top 6 spot, leave Betts in charge......and who knows what will happen !!!!!!!!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

reardon is a good 3/4 for gb well what I seen of him in the tri-nations any way.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!