Vaelaeki OUT

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warrior till i die

Re: Vaelaeki OUT

Post by warrior till i die »

him and dallas are going to be a lethal pair.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

warrior till i die posted:
him and dallas are going to be a lethal pair.
Not to try and sound like WNAC, but does no one care that he can't tackle?
warrior till i die

well yeah course i care that he cant tackle. But you cant really ignore his attacking ability.

in 85, at wem ber ley

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I'm not, I have commented on how good he can be in attack, but what's the point in setting up a try if you miss tackles and are to blame for two, for example?

Not to sound picky... for his first offload I thought it would have been safer if he'd took the try :D
warrior till i die

well yeah Id of liked to see him to score. But DV looks like a player whoose willing to grind out the hard work in training to get his defence up. And dont worry rob your not to picky. :)

in 85, at wem ber ley

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

well yeah course i care that he cant tackle. But you cant really ignore his attacking ability.
:angry: Yes, because he's cr@p and a liability.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Doug Stand posted:
Vaelaeki was class on Friday. The offloads for Dallas, well you all saw them and you don't need me to tell you great they were and this is not the first time he's done it. He has shown signs of greatness and could be a fantastic player for Wigan but without a stand-off he will amount to nothing more than a bit part glimpse of a decent player at Wigan. Numerous occasion he was giben the ball and virtually already tackled. Quick hands could have seen a break on, but Wigan are too slow.
Did you see Bradford's first (?) try? I'm sure we all did! Vaealiki leaving the line then making a half hearted attempt at a tackle and bob's your uncle and they're over for a try!
warrior till i die

we_need_a_coach posted:
:angry: Yes, because he's cr@p and a liability.
I cant really believe what I am reading here how can you say that he is crap and a liability. We would of got nilled if he didnt come up with them WC passes. Rob has pointed out on a point he needs to improve on and we all agree on that. He is in no way crap and in no way a liability.

in 85, at wem ber ley

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

robjoenz posted:
Not to try and sound like WNAC, but does no one care that he can't tackle?
I understand that you're disappointed with his defence at the moment but it might help (if you can get hold of a copy) to have a look at his defensive efforts when he started with Parra at the end of 1999 compared to his defence during even the start of the 2000 season. He copped a lot of criticism for the same thing here too but it was only a few months before we were calling him one of our most solid defenders.

I know this is probably no consolation now but i have been watching him for many years now and saw every step of his improvements here and believe me he really works hard to fix his problems.

If you're interested in having a look at his best work i'd try and get hold of copies of any 2001 game, Parra v Sharks at Parra Stadium in 2003, and 2003 Aus v NZ test match in Australia. Those are just a few of the games where he's proved how solid a defender he can be as well as shown his strength in attack.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

Doug Stand posted:
Didn't know that about Vella...what's the deal there.
During one of the pre-season trials Vella copped an accidental knock to the throat and noticed it felt very tender and was still hurting a few days later. He got tests done to check it out and was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. The doctors said he'd had it for about 2 years which would explain his "lazy" performances over the years as it causes extreme fatigue. Vella had an operation to remove the cancer and underwent treatment for a few weeks and was then isolated for 10 days during radiation therapy in which he could only see one person at a time for about 5 minutes every few hours because of the radiation. He got a lot of support from everyone in the NRL and all fans of all clubs and through the whole thing he was determined he'd be back on the field. Vella was deemed able to play again 2 weeks ago and played one game in lower grades before playing his first first grade game back yesterday. He had a brilliant game and really turned the boys spirit around as we were down 10-4 before he came on. The response from the crowd when he took the field was deafening. It was a very inspirational moment.
Still no sign of Riddell talking over goal kicking as well... Luke Burts doing OK, couple of great 40/20's last week
Apparently Riddell will only kick at the right moment. For example, if we are in front by a lot and he scores a try he will attempt to convert it. Not exactly sure why though. Burt does have a higher percentage rate but he didn't have too good a kicking game yesterday.
I've gone on record many times and apologies for repeating myself but currently we have no halves
The more i read about Wigan the more similar they sound to Parra in the last few years. Bad ref decisions, all out through injury, poor defence at times, no playmakers, bringing great young players through only to get rid of them, and many many fans calling for different players heads.
Mention it to Brian Smith next time you two are chatting :D
:lol: Sorry but we're not letting these ones go anytime soon. They all again had great games last night. Widders would have come close to man of the match. I think it was between him, Daniel Wagon, Eric Grothe Jr and PJ Marsh.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!