Re: Ian Lenagan.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

he came around the fans at the Wigan V Leeds match last year in the CC. he seems a good guy. and so i've got this right he basically said we haven't been as consistant as he would like us to be and also pointed out that we have won nothing under BN

its not looking good for Mr Noble
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why separate the coach from the owner? Neither in their time at Wigan RLFC has won anything. Surely, the reply to what IL said should have been neither have you or are you not part of the same organisation?

If fans like him. Great. If they do not. So be it. If he delivers then he is doing what he should be doing IMO and as long as he is not a criminal I could not care less whether he is nice or nasty. I could not care if we play 17 lads from St Helens in Cherry n White as long as they play good RL and are successful.

I would say Sam has been far better value for money and his new contract is a snip compared to what Myler will be paid. Young players offer great value for money which is a big thing with IL from what I know.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

I personally don`t like his personal style , but I do think he has Wigan at heart .
I videod him last year in Perpignan meeting the fans .
I do wish he decide sooner rather than later about the coach , if Noble is going , it isn`t fair on him not knowing his future , if Noble stays it`s not fair on us !
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

God wrote:From the tone of IL, Phelps is one of the lowest paid players in the first team. And IMO is in better form than Webb, Greenshields and Brisco who are considered the best fullbacks in the League at present bar Hodgeson who is currently the best.
So basically when those guys are on form we have the 5th best full back in the league but he's cheap so that's OK then?

I know Phelps has put his heart into playing for Wigan but if we settle for 5th best in key positions then we will be finishing outside the top four regularly.

As to your recommendation about Noble, all I can say is I hope IL is an atheist and pays no heed to "God" :wink: :lol:
I.L does not coach or disguss tactics with players, he signs players on recomendation and his signings to date via VARIOUS sources have been spot on IMO. The only exeption being Gleesons contract which i forgot to mention. I.L said and i quote " Is not playing like he sould be doing, but is outstanding in defence" which i 100% agreed with.
IL's signings spot on? You have got to be joking. One of his biggest mistakes was giving Roberts a four year deal. If he is not happy with Gleeson he can't be happy with Roberts and Riddell.
He likes what he sees with the acadamy, hes gone on record to say there will be no more overseas signings unless hes worldclass. He wants instant sucsess, Seems very unhappy about our lack of consistancy and his tone suggests Noble wont be here next season unless a Top class coach is not found then maybe he will untill one is found.
Well I wish he would sort it out one way or the other.
He also said this current crop of players can beat anybody in the league, which i 100% agreed with. I like the bloke, he wants what i want and thats for us to win something this season, not a 5 year plan or whatever, this season.
We can only win the GF now obviously and that will be tall order from 5th or 6th, sudden death all the way to the final with only one home game. I am sure he sees that as mcuh as anyone and knows that isn't the league position you ought to be starting a GF campaign from.

Still its knock-out RL and its "only" a winning run of four games.

Dave
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

DaveO wrote:
God wrote:From the tone of IL, Phelps is one of the lowest paid players in the first team. And IMO is in better form than Webb, Greenshields and Brisco who are considered the best fullbacks in the League at present bar Hodgeson who is currently the best.
So basically when those guys are on form we have the 5th best full back in the league but he's cheap so that's OK then?

I know Phelps has put his heart into playing for Wigan but if we settle for 5th best in key positions then we will be finishing outside the top four regularly.
Yeah but Cameron has Super Kris to help!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherrywarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Yeah but Cameron has Super Kris to help!
True enough but I am more concerned with the idea IL likes Phelps because he is good value. If this is applied throughout the side we will have a low cost side but won't win anything because IMO you need at least a couple of really class players in key positions and they cost money.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If Wire win the cup then maybe the two players have become value for money.

I always found Maurice Lindsay and Jack Robinson incredibly polite. I never spoke to Whelan. Saying that did it mean anything, were they simply polite for politeness sake. All I ever wanted was to watch great players and great rugby league.
ian b

Post by ian b »

God wrote:No IMO on current form we have the second best fullback in the league behind Brett Hodgeson. And IMO good value. Under Radders we could possibly have one of the best in the league by reputation and form. Not just by reputation like names mentioned previous, bar Hodgeson.

Briers " Tony Smith can teach old dogs new tricks" why cant Radders do the same with Phelps???

I also mentioned he likes his attitude towards the club and its fans which is refreshing after the Ashton saga.

He wants the youngsters in the side, so do i. He wants world class overseas, so do i. Piggy and Roberts have not been bad signings better than King and Monaghan for value for money.

I like the bloke, much better than being blanked by Maurice Lindsey and Dave Whealen like i have been in the past.
i spoke to him at the end of season awards and i agree he is or seems to be a decent person and i believe he really wants wigan to succeed with young players who have come through the academies.How long this development should take i have no idea because i am no expert,but i also spoke to M Hogan and he believes the club is going in the right direction and personally think he is one guy i would trust to be honest with you.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

ill always remember ian for the playoffs in perpignan he came over to us all and clapped us who travelled before the players came over. ill remember that game before any other. " one eric pollard" away in france, legend that bloke and he wants the best for this club.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

God wrote:No IMO on current form we have the second best fullback in the league behind Brett Hodgeson. And IMO good value. Under Radders we could possibly have one of the best in the league by reputation and form. Not just by reputation like names mentioned previous, bar Hodgeson.
The point still stands that if we go for good value as opposed to class in key positions we won't win trophies. Phelps may develop into a top class full back but you are assuming those others you mention are going to experience a permanent loss of form so his standing as the no. 2 in the league is far from nailed on is it?
He wants the youngsters in the side, so do i. He wants world class overseas, so do i. Piggy and Roberts have not been bad signings better than King and Monaghan for value for money.
If he wants world class overseas players in the side why did he sign Piggy and Roberts on 3 and 4 year deals? They are not world class or close too it and the pair of them have been a disspointment having had distinctly average seasons. As to Monaghan he was arguably the most influential player in Wires semi final victory and King played no small part either. The money Wire will get from an appearance at Wembley never mind winning it makes them look pretty good value to me.

Dave