Leeds players meet RFL/SL justice

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Leeds players meet RFL/SL justice

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Leeds.html

Compare with the NRL

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews ... 10681.html

NRL players are now thinking twice before throwing punches. SL carry on regardless.
Mr Stu

Re: Leeds players meet RFL/SL justice

Post by Mr Stu »

typical rfl, i knew that it would be a 1 week ban at the most. leeds seem to get away with alot, especially fighting. re peacock incidents that he has got away with. not only did senior needlessly punch wilkin he went back for more.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Leeds.html

Compare with the NRL

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews ... 10681.html

NRL players are now thinking twice before throwing punches. SL carry on regardless.
Rogers has history, struck the first blow and he used the young winger as a punch bag.
The kid tried to retaliate by kneeing Rogers in the face, but missed. Both deserve matches.
georgeorwell

Leeds get away with it again!!!!

Post by georgeorwell »

Quote from RFL website "Leeds Rhinos bid to retain their Engage Super League crown received a boost tonight when all three players up before the disciplinary committee were cleared for the play-offs".
Senior 1 match and £300
Buchanan 1 match and £300
Leuluai £300

The two players who are banned for one match will miss the last game of the season v/s Salford. Huge disadvantage for Leeds ....not.

Where Leeds are concerned the RFL are a joke. This team are as bad as the Leeds football team of the 1970's, and yet they are allowed to get away with it time after time.
THE 18th Man

Re: Leeds get away with it again!!!!

Post by THE 18th Man »

the RFL as disgrace.

if my memory serves me right the Harlequins Centre David Howell got a 3 match ban for punching Sammy Tomkins and yet Keith Senior onlys gets 1
highland convert

Re: Leeds get away with it again!!!!

Post by highland convert »

It was hardly in the same class. I am surprised Senior got a ban, I have seen far worse get nothing at all. Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 241983.stm

Seems Union have got one aspect right compared to the RFL/SL. Odd that the RFU and the NRL take a differing view than the RFL/SL. They must be wrong and the RFL/SL must be right.

What do people think will happen if/when St Helens and Leeds meet in the play offs. I find it incredulous that many fans criticise Graham for the way he ended the game but think the histrionics of Keith Senior were perfectly acceptable. Respect / bringing the game into disrepute?

The disciplinary procedures in RL are one of the biggest blight on the sport.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Fighting doesn't bother me as much as stuff like hair pulling knees late in the tackle and deliberately leading with the elbow and the like. What does annoy me is that they no longer seem to bother about a players past record any more and the fact that so many bans are overturned on appeal suggests that the hearings cant be that good in the first place. I also don't like the fact that they assume that a £300 fine means less to a player than a 1 match ban, this is a hell of a lot of money for some players but small change for others, it should be a % of a weeks wage or something similar. I also hate it that games such as Carnegie floodlit 9's can count towards a ban and that they always seem to bottle out when there's an international or final/semi coming up, Lee Smith springs to mind last year.

The On report system needs to go and refs need to be more willing to take action during a game, the team which is fouled gains nothing from a two match ban after a player has been on report and could even be disadvantaged again if the team with the banned player then goes on to lose against a close rival.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

gpartin, I agree with your second paragraph regarding "on report". A player transgressing in a game should be punished to the benefit of the opposing team IN THAT GAME, for the reasons you state.

In the example we are commenting about, how have Leeds been punished? Not at all imo. The loss of their players in what is essentially a dead game against Salford this weekend hurts them not at all. Had they been dealt with at the time the, outcome of the very important game against St Helens might have been different - even if that wouldn't have suited us! - and could have changed the outcome of the winners shield and the Grand Final.

We have a fantastic sport run by weak people.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Excellent post George Orwell