Why are we unable to manage our cap?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Why are we unable to manage our cap?

Post by DaveO »

BriH wrote:Just illustrates how difficult it is to get the balance right and keep within the salary cap.
Don't forget IL inherited some of the problems and, to a certain extent, he is stuck with them in the short term.
I'm sure, being a very astute businessman, he will be well on top of this.
The inherited problems that remain are Feka and Fielden, that is all. We have lost Hocks wage and have renewed contracts for other players who were thought to be on high Mo style contracts such as TL so as I said in my other post, their wages ought to have gone down if they were being paid too much.

So I don't think the inherited problems excuse cuts it anymore. The vast majority of Wigan's salary cap money will have been given out in contracts of the players signed or re-signed by IL so we have the vast majority of the squad we have as a direct result of IL's management.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:Dave - we have increased the salaries of our younger players, I presume that IL does not wish to see a repeat of the Chris Ashton situation. All our young players on the fast track scheme are also being paid much higher amounts than under the previous regime - this was done to allow the players to become full-time pros and therefore accelerate their development.
I said one of the reasons we are not signing new players is we have increased the wages of the younger players but we won't win anything or be a very good with a team that lacks a couple of really class players. It is about getting the balance right.

Leeds and Saints have always had class players in the side over recent years and Leeds have brought young players through so the two are not mutually exclusive.

Dave
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I'm sorry Dave'o i think that should be miss-management.Signing 2nd rate players on 3year contracts is
missmanagement.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Seems strange that this season Wigan stand to loose; Bailey, Carmont and Flanagan all good players.

Yet Leulaui and Roberts are contracted till 2012 and Riddell till 2011. I would rather get rid of those 3 and keep Bailey, Carmont and Flanagan.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

MrDave wrote:Seems strange that this season Wigan stand to loose; Bailey, Carmont and Flanagan all good players.

Yet Leulaui and Roberts are contracted till 2012 and Riddell till 2011. I would rather get rid of those 3 and keep Bailey, Carmont and Flanagan.
How do we get rid of them? Who'll have them?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
shaunedwardsfan club wrote:Dave - we have increased the salaries of our younger players, I presume that IL does not wish to see a repeat of the Chris Ashton situation. All our young players on the fast track scheme are also being paid much higher amounts than under the previous regime - this was done to allow the players to become full-time pros and therefore accelerate their development.
I said one of the reasons we are not signing new players is we have increased the wages of the younger players but we won't win anything or be a very good with a team that lacks a couple of really class players. It is about getting the balance right.

Leeds and Saints have always had class players in the side over recent years and Leeds have brought young players through so the two are not mutually exclusive.

Dave
Agreed. But those, so called,three star players are taking up a fair chunk of our salary cap (probably 40 - 50 percent if you include Feka) and they are not providing value for money. Let's for example say that we have 60% to spend on the other 21 players in the squad, that equates to approx £46k each!

We need to spend our money wisely, rewarding young players with contracts that contain incentives but also signing overseas/good British players at the right price with bonuses attached.

The other issue regarding clubs like Saints is the fact that they have been introducing image rights into players contracts. In effect, as we all know, this allows clubs to spend over the salary cap.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

Surely the coach is the major factor in all this. Just look at the effect Smith has had at Warrington, with a group of previously under performing players. If we get a new coach he will have to assess his players, motivate them, and give each and every one the chance to show what they can do. Those on high salaries that don't come up to expectations can be relegated to the reserves, and put under pressure to leave or rot. Life can be made very very unpleasant for them. No self respecting professional will want to stay no matter how much he is paid.

Sorry if this sounds brutal, but it's what someone like Ferguson would do, and he's a proven winner.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote: Agreed. But those, so called,three star players are taking up a fair chunk of our salary cap (probably 40 - 50 percent if you include Feka) and they are not providing value for money. Let's for example say that we have 60% to spend on the other 21 players in the squad, that equates to approx £46k each!
We only have two players left on Mo contracts, Fielden and Feka and there is no way they are getting paid £400K a season each! I'd say for the pair of them £200K a season each tops. That would leave an average of just over £52K each for the rest so obviously if I am closer to the mark on those twos wages than you then the club must be paying some players who signed contracts under IL a much higher wage if we can't afford any new players.
We need to spend our money wisely, rewarding young players with contracts that contain incentives but also signing overseas/good British players at the right price with bonuses attached.
I agree but we have to find a way for these players to be really classy players as Leeds and Saints have done and now Wire are starting to do.
The other issue regarding clubs like Saints is the fact that they have been introducing image rights into players contracts. In effect, as we all know, this allows clubs to spend over the salary cap.
Gross payments for image rights have been counted on the cap for at least the past two seasons.

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

BriH wrote:Just illustrates how difficult it is to get the balance right and keep within the salary cap.
Don't forget IL inherited some of the problems and, to a certain extent, he is stuck with them in the short term.
I'm sure, being a very astute businessman, he will be well on top of this.
But if he agreed to pay £180k to a 30 year old player he hasn't learn't very much and things are not going to improve much after 2010
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think its not helped that the gambles we have taken haven't paid off. Tim smith was one, he had/has the talent but just cant put it on the field.

The big one though in more ways than one was Karl Pyrce, we bascially bought a reserve player for superleague wages. What annoys me most is that no attempt it seems has been made to rectify this, why hasn't he been loaned out like Goulding and Mossop, 2 players much more deserving of a place in the squad?.

It says in the WEP today about "the forgotten man Karl Pyrce" but i bet you he's not forgotten when the pay slips come round which is where it counts. Bascially we have paid him for 2 seasons and got nothing in return. If he had a shred of decency he would leave. Ill hold my hand up and say that i was chuffed when they said we signed him but he is lazy, unfit, uninterested and at the moment he is stealing a living.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure