Are some fans being fair?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Are some fans being fair?

Post by cpwigan »

Jammie. Those that need to, know what is happening. It is the same with sponsorship. Our current sponsorship deal is coming up for renewal. Wigan RLFC have been working on a new deal for some months now but they do not tell fans what is happening on a daily basis.

If fans use common sense they are being told everything they need to know bar the identity of the new coach for 2010. Given both our season and the NRl are reaching a climax I do not think you will be told that news until the seasons conclude.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

we may know something after next weekend if the team turns up another performance like today

listening to Nobby he sounds like he knows he is going, and perhaps this has rubbed off on the players??
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:IFL wants to bring the young players through. Noble does not. That is the crux of the conflict. In that scenario the coach should always go because the owner is the ultimate voice of a club and if you disagree with how he wants the club to operate you should walk.

Noble has been gone for over a month now. Do you remember early in the season when the Bradford owner refuted speculation linking Noble to the job of head coach at Bradford. Noble was publically furious that Bradford had spoken out and killed the speculation. He said I never comment on spculation. Why should a coach be furious with another club when they support the present job holder and speak out publically.
Perhaps he was furious with the speculation itself, not Bradford? It was in the press after all and it forced Bardford to comment.
Why is Brian Noble now prepared to speak about speculation?
He has only said he has not been told one way or the other about his position here and given the press is rampant with rumours and he is being asked about them what do you want him to say?
This is the same Brian Noble who applied for a job elsewhere whilst still in post in order to force the owner to extend his contract IIRC. What comes around goes around.
What do you mean by the bit in bold? Noble was potentially out of a job so applied for others. Once offered his extension he chose to stay. If he has applied for the Celtic job then given he says he has heard nothing from IL one way or the other who can blame him?
The present owner is doing nothing different than what ML and DW did. Nobody can say otherwise on the point. It is fact.
Rubbish. Mo would have sacked Noble after we lost to Celtic. In fact he would probably have gone last season. You posted the stats yourself. Losses of 11, 11, 12 would have seen Noble out of the door. None of this pussyfooting around. This is nothing like how Mo would have done things.
Lest we forget poor Mike Gregory for those wanting DW back.
Who the hell wants DW back and what has how he treated Mike Gregory got to do with any of this?
Noble is an operator. So is IFL. Fans have known for a long time if they care to admit it that Noble is going and so are 2 others I believe. The players have known too.
So why has it not been announced? If the players know it announcing it would not disrupt our play off chances. I can see no reason for it not to announced if it has been a done deal for a long time. All IL had to do was say what Celtic gave done. Coach leaving, new one announced some time in the future.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Jammie. Those that need to, know what is happening.
No they are not. The fans do not know who the coach for 2010 is and to suggest the fans do not need to know is stupid. The fans are not employees.
It is the same with sponsorship. Our current sponsorship deal is coming up for renewal. Wigan RLFC have been working on a new deal for some months now but they do not tell fans what is happening on a daily basis.
And I would not expect them to because it is not the same thing. Fans want to know who the team and coach will be and IMO have a right to know given the amount of money they pay but are not naive enough to demand details of all sponsorship negotiations.

The two are just not thought of in the same way by fans and so to link them is wrong.

It may be the new coach cannot be announced for whatever reason but the "Noble leaving, new coach announced in due course" statement is neither controversial, giving anything away or remotely like commercial discussions about sponsors.
If fans use common sense they are being told everything they need to know bar the identity of the new coach for 2010. Given both our season and the NRl are reaching a climax I do not think you will be told that news until the seasons conclude.
Neither do I but it is mistake to allow the speculation to go unchecked. The speculation has been going on for a full season. Everyone knew Noble was out of contract at the end of it and the discussions of will he get a new deal/will we have a new coach have gone on all season. The longer it has gone on the more concerned the fans have become because of the uncertainty. It is not just about who the new coach will be but about saying will we have a new coach announced in due course or will it be Nobby for another year?

The fans would be quite happy if an announcement had been made 3 months ago, 3 weeks ago or whenever just to clarify the Noble would not be here and new coach was being sought.

Would the speculation be rife as to who that new coach would be? Of course but it already is so the lack of official announcement Nobby is leaving is completely pointless and a stupid move from IL.

Dave

jammie

Post by jammie »

the sponsor situation last season had a bearing on the fans wirh the late launch of the shirts,to miss the start of the season was stupid and a major boo boo.i wouldn't expect a daily update on sponsor details but just to know things are on track and in hand would be good.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

BriH

Post by BriH »

Wigan's coaching situation needs sorting out ASAP - for the players and the fans.
My guess is IL will make an announcement when Wigan play their last match - whatever that is. Grand Final win?
Well, you have to think positively haven't you?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The players know what is happening Bri.

Fans do if they are honest other than the name of the new coach.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jammie wrote:the sponsor situation last season had a bearing on the fans wirh the late launch of the shirts,to miss the start of the season was stupid and a major boo boo.i wouldn't expect a daily update on sponsor details but just to know things are on track and in hand would be good.
Jammie getting a sponsor was a major achievement in such economic times. The principle still stands, negotiatons go on behind closed doors and confidentiality is often vital. Same applies with coaching appointments too sometimes.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave internally everybody knows what is happening. Brian Noble does. He has for quite a while. So clearly his comments in the media should be taken with a pinch of salt and are actually mischevious. He is a manipulator of the media and note if you care to look how his standard soundbite slowly but surely changes over days to give the impression he had no choice but to find a new job.

Do you think Celtic would announce that their coach would not be retained if they did not have a replacement signed up or that a journalist would write an article stating that Celtic Crusaders were telling prospective signing for 2010 that Brian Noble was the new coach. Something they have been telling players for some time. The reporter would not make those statements if he/she was not legally secure. Mr Anti Speculation Noble would throw a hissy fit if it was not true.

Brian Noble left Bradford in the lurch. He put IFL in a very difficult position by applying for the Catalan job mid season. Oddly that got leaked. At the start of the season again it oddly got leaked that Noble was being linked with Bradford. When Bradford publically killed that rumour the only person furious was Noble. The Celtic rumours have been leaked across the media for a month + I wonder who that suits.

Let's just say EVERYBODY at Wigan RLFC knows what is happening re Noble and have done so for some time. There are 3 possible scenarios.

1) Clubs/coaches requesting not announcement until certain events have been concluded

2) Wigan RLFC had difficulty securing their first choice replacement coach and thus had nothing to say.

3) A media stand off between IFL and Noble with either one wanting the other to make the first move so they can then manipulate the media to their own end.

We all KNOW including FANS that BRIAN NOBLE is not being retained. We do not know who the new coach will be. It is not just about the coach because the incoming coach will have to create a new team of coaches as 2, probably 3 of Noble's friends will go with him.

Many fans want to concentrate on the play offs. I do. SL has never been weaker at the top and it is a season when a club like ours should be thinking we can win the GF. Concentrate on the present season and look at the future when the season ends.
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

i honestly dispare when i read some of the comments on the message boards.

IFL gets critised for the sponsership taking too long.. as cp says in the current economic times he did well to get the deal in the first place. as to the shirts only being released after xmas.. so what??? people still bought them so i really dont see what the problem is.

as for the flack IFL is getting over the noble situation..
imo its a disgrace. everything is going to come out in due course ie we will have a coach next season maybe a new signing so why dont people just enjoy the play offs and worry about 2010 when this seaon is over. imo he'l announce the new coach/any signings when 2009 is over and i really dont see why people on here have a problem with that!

maybe he could have a made a statment like brian noble wil be leaving but he hasnt and it isnt the end of the world really.