We must support them like never before!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
we_need_a_coach

Re: We must support them l...

Post by we_need_a_coach »

thegimble posted:
Exiled Wiganer posted:
Having been away at the week end, I only caught the game on TV, and have only just been through the reaction on here. For what it's worth, I remain positive for the future, just not the immediate future. Our schools, clubs and junior sections produce enough talent to see us back near the top some time in the next few years...

I have watched the boys since 1980, but the team we have now reminds me in some respects of the ones we used to watch just after having come up from Division 2 - some glimpses of talent, spirit but little mature class. Certainly no chance of winning anything.

What made that time more enjoyable was perhaps that we did not have huge expectations...

To enjoy this year, I think we need to adjust our expectations from previous years. We cannot be relied upon to win any game, save for possibly Leigh and Widnes.

In the light of this, never have our lads needed our support - whether we think they or the management deserve it or not.

Now is the time to stand up and be counted! Starting with this Friday, we have a couple of winnable games even by this team. Let's give our boys all our support.

People hark back to the Hanley era, and rightly so. But it was very easy to follow our lads in those times. We may be small like Beswick, we may be young like Harrison, but now is the time for all Wiganers to put their support on the line.

We may be a long way behind them in the league, but let us continue to put the Skints supporters to shame in numbers and passion!!!

Not Ancient, but certainly Loyal!
Are you listeining WNAC
:conf: No I'm not listening ! but I've read it, What has supporting the lads on Friday got to do with writing in this board ?

What you have written presupposes that everyone who writes something negative, or criticises on this board, turns up on match day, and baracks the team, grow up, because I certainly hav'nt heard anything !!

I do hope the players and the coach and Doris read this board, because it is only then that they will truly understand how the real fans feel !!

:angry: :angry:
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

we_need_a_coach posted:
thegimble posted:
Exiled Wiganer posted:
Having been away at the week end, I only caught the game on TV, and have only just been through the reaction on here. For what it's worth, I remain positive for the future, just not the immediate future. Our schools, clubs and junior sections produce enough talent to see us back near the top some time in the next few years...

I have watched the boys since 1980, but the team we have now reminds me in some respects of the ones we used to watch just after having come up from Division 2 - some glimpses of talent, spirit but little mature class. Certainly no chance of winning anything.

What made that time more enjoyable was perhaps that we did not have huge expectations...

To enjoy this year, I think we need to adjust our expectations from previous years. We cannot be relied upon to win any game, save for possibly Leigh and Widnes.

In the light of this, never have our lads needed our support - whether we think they or the management deserve it or not.

Now is the time to stand up and be counted! Starting with this Friday, we have a couple of winnable games even by this team. Let's give our boys all our support.

People hark back to the Hanley era, and rightly so. But it was very easy to follow our lads in those times. We may be small like Beswick, we may be young like Harrison, but now is the time for all Wiganers to put their support on the line.

We may be a long way behind them in the league, but let us continue to put the Skints supporters to shame in numbers and passion!!!

Not Ancient, but certainly Loyal!
Are you listeining WNAC
:conf: No I'm not listening ! but I've read it, What has supporting the lads on Friday got to do with writing in this board ?

What you have written presupposes that everyone who writes something negative, or criticises on this board, turns up on match day, and baracks the team, grow up, because I certainly hav'nt heard anything !!

I do hope the players and the coach and Doris read this board, because it is only then that they will truly understand how the real fans feel !!

:angry: :angry:
All you do is critises some player and Betts on here and this is continiually happening. The person who needs to know how we feel is MO and DW they have screwed us this season. Betts did a great job last season or had you forgoten that.

Oh no the players were the reason for this most propably in your mind and the reason for the problems now is Denis.

You can not have it both ways.

Did you give Betts praise for what he did last season or did you praise the players.
DaveO

Re: We must support them like ...

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Having been away at the week end, I only caught the game on TV, and have only just been through the reaction on here.
To be perfectly honest EW, I am not sure what you are driving at.

Have you equated critism with lack of support? Many on this site do.

They assume if you critisise a player,the club or the coach then you are not supporting the team.

This is of course, rubbish.

I am sure quite a few people on here who voice their opinions on poor performances by players, coach and Mo shout their heads off in support of the team when they go to a game. They do support the team.

I'd almost go as far as to say that blind loyalty doesn't do anyone any good. The head in the sand approach is, in my opinion, just as negative as the worst doom moungers on the site. I say that because if people can't accept the reality of the situation then they don't have a very good presective on how the club is being run, how good the players and coach realy are etc.

As to expectations I don't think anyone expects much this season, but I bet they did a month before it started.

In fact you may recall about three years ago Mo promised the fans a champion side by now.

Instead we have gone backwards for three seasons in a row.

I think people are entitled to be a bit angry that expectations set as recently as that have not been met. It is nothing to do with expecting things to be as they were in the Hanley era but expectng things to have progressed over the last three years when clearly they have not.

Dave
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

"Betts constantly plays people out of position"

If you think about it, who else is there to play in those positions, some people have to play out of position because they have no one else to cover, what is he suposed to do!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Being told to grow up by WNAC has certainly taken me aback. In fact, in expressing my views there was absolutely no supposition that criticism was either bad or unmerited. Nor was it directed at anyone.

I wasn't trying to criticise any of my confreres on this board, just making the point that it is in these testing times that our mettle as fans will be shown... probably a statement of the obvious but I felt like saying it.

Grow up yourself, WNAC.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

proud_pie_eater posted:
"Betts constantly plays people out of position"

If you think about it, who else is there to play in those positions, some people have to play out of position because they have no one else to cover, what is he suposed to do!
If you read the previous posts he has been told many times what to do :(
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
As to expectations I don't think anyone expects much this season, but I bet they did a month before it started.

Dave
Fair points, Dave, but remember, a month before the season started, players like Beswick, Allen, Colbon, Coyle, Hansen, Melling and Hargreaves wouldn't have been needed in the match squad.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I have to agree with a previous post. I think 1 main problem at Wigan this year is the conditioner. Why are our boys made of paper now. Also its a bit touchy but it made me think when I heard it. Cunningham was on steds and was always injured. Since he came off them hes been fine. Makes you think there is something in the water at the JJB!!

I disagree with the 1 about MO being to vlame. When we had Monie and Lowe we had MO then and cleaned up. Fair enough Monies second stint wasnt that good but he did have a bunch of donkeys to be fair. If the style of play isnt right ir working its down to the coach!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

I have to agree with a previous post. I think 1 main problem at Wigan this year is the conditioner. Why are our boys made of paper now. Also its a bit touchy but it made me think when I heard it. Cunningham was on steds and was always injured. Since he came off them hes been fine. Makes you think there is something in the water at the JJB!!

I disagree with the 1 about MO being to vlame. When we had Monie and Lowe we had MO then and cleaned up. Fair enough Monies second stint wasnt that good but he did have a bunch of donkeys to be fair. If the style of play isnt right ir working its down to the coach!!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

The fitness levels appear fine to me.

Must have the best scrammbling defence in SL.

Tackling big, fast, powerful and talented forwards is hard going for a small pack. That's why its burn out time on the hour every hour.

They arn't big enough.