cpwigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
weststand-rich

Re: cpwigan

Post by weststand-rich »

What's your view on Wane CP? How do the players view him? Does he suffer fools? Will he be a gaffer that can exert himself like Morgan or Brown or Anderson or does he have a more influencing and collaborative approach? What's he like strategically?

The reason I ask is because you've watched a lot of the reserve side - I've only seen a handful of their games over the past couple of years. Must try and rectify that next year.......
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think his players have a lot of time for him because he treats them well in a firm but fair manner. I certainly think he can do a typically SL job and get the players content and playing well enough to achieve the same as what Noble has achieved but with the added bonus he is likely to know the young players better and give them their chance. The biggest question mark is lack of cutting edge knowledge to take a team above the rest of the contenders. The biggest worry he is given a real mess and not much time to sort it in terms of staff etc. Does Lenagan want Wane or is Wane the easy option? a comfortable last resort.

Lenagan and Noble is a non starter. One wants young players (his motives may be somewhat financial) The other wants experienced, proven players. Does anybody honestly believe they get along? If Noble is replaced the pressure then goes to Lenagan because with such decision people start looking at the hirer and firer. Even ML after walking on water saw fans starts to shake their heads and question his judgement. Lenagan has no such luxury of a past record to fall back on.

Not sure Lenagan realises or is prepared to make the effort required to get the best available from overseas. It is harder and harder to do so and requires more and more work.

SL is at a funny stage. The salary cap is not a bad idea but it was implemented wrongly. If the supply of players was huge you could implement a Cap successfully. However, demand has always been far greater than supply and you should never introduce a cap in those circumstances. 2009 seems a very poor vintage. Sign of things to come? If so maybe Lenagan is right. Personally I always thought top drawer experienced with a good ratio of young players was the way to go.

What does experience mean though? Melbourne Storm went into the season with a young team. I think the oldest player/average age was 25 but as someone pointed out when they beat the Broncos they fielded 8 players under age X but all had playwed 100 NRL games.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I wonder if there would be any mileage in trying to link up with an Australian NRL club in a formal partnership. Didn't Leeds do something similar with the Rabbitohs? We could add value to the coaching staff by benchmarking them and sending them over for a pre-season shadowing spell.

Just a thought.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

cpwigan wrote:I think he is nailed on to go to Celtic. Might mean Shaun Wane is given the job and left in a quite difficult position.
Michael Mcguire Head Coach with Shaun Wane as his assistant to be announced after Grand Final. Put our mortgage on it!!!

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

cpwigan wrote:Noble wants him just as he wanted Long. Noble always wants tried and tested players. Always have. Always will.

Although Long is telling porkies re Wigan. We did bid but we were way down on the list and the key factor was money. He was also not keen to go to Wigan from Saints.
Wigan were in the front seat to sign Longy but were outbid at the last minute by Hull who offered £10,000 more and then they wouldnt raise their bid. Longy is that thick it will cost him more than that commuting to Hull and back!!

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am delighted we didn't sign Long, as I think Sam and the team will benefit from him being the dominant half back.
I cannot tell you how pleased I am that CPW is back. Those days lasted years.
McGuire and Wane would be a dream ticket for me. A motivator who understands the club and someone to put in place the best structures and apply the highest standards in world sport.
With the young players available and a top class full back we will be right at the top with Leeds.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
I cannot tell you how pleased I am that CPW is back. Those days lasted years.
It was 36 hours by my calculation. I have been on stag dos which lasted longer!! :lol: :lol: :lol: