you got what you wanted

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: you got what you wanted

Post by ancientnloyal »

One thing is for sure: we will praise the new coach/es. Like we did Noble. After that it's criticism all the way.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Millward was an assistant or U20s coach before Leigh. His father was the big cheese at either St george or Illawarra
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

stevo38 wrote:for all the knockers who have constantly given noble grief he s gone and come wednesday morning you will wish he d stayed because the man thats replacing him doesent even have first team coaching experience . :lol:
I was one of those knockers Stevo38.And I take back not one word I wrote about Brian Noble.The man was not good enough for Wigan and would have gained nothing by giving him another extension to his contract.What would it have achieved?another year or so of mediocrity( AND BLAND BORING RUGBY.)It's not what we want or need.If the next coach brings bland boring rugby then he can expect the same as Mr Noble of whom I have wished him well at which ever club he ends up at.I only wish the club well in my critical comments of Mr Noble' style of rugby.I along with others on this site want and expect the very best coach that Wigan fans deserve.If you honestly think that Mr Noble's style of rugby is an exciting and winning type of rugby then god help us.Once again I thank Brian Noble for attempting to bring success to Wigan alas to no avail.End of. :D
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

stevo38 wrote:for all the knockers who have constantly given noble grief he s gone and come wednesday morning you will wish he d stayed because the man thats replacing him doesent even have first team coaching experience . :lol:
He does have first team experience becuse when Bellamy does the state of origin he takes over at club level. Lots of coaches have successsful careers who havent even played Rugby. But lets give the bloke a chance before we start all the negative posts, he could be the best thing that happens to us.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bellamy was an assistant too as are most coaches when they become a first team coach.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I have always said that Brian Noble has been the best British coach by a mile since SL arrived. He has not brought any success to Wigan partly because he has not had his own team and partly because of his own failings.He has now gone and we still do not have a coach to take his place,which in itself is stupidity.Secondly the way the whole issue has been dealt with has been totally unfair to BN,players and fans,and third and most important the people mentioned to take over (Mcguire and Wane)have no experience of SL.Southern Hemisphere coaches are miles ahead of our own but experience is essential.If a coach takes over a top class outfit as Millward and Anderson did at Stains then that is half the battle. Whoever takes over at Wigan has an average squad and has a big job on his hands. Noble has gone,many wished him gone but must remember the saying,Be careful what you wish for ,because it may come true.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

OH Bellamy had none and he was very successful. Daniel Anderson similarly. So I am not sure experience is the be all and end all and experience is dependent upon what type it is. I would imagine anybody assisting at Melbourne has had a fantastic learning experience whereas somebody who has been head coach of say Oldham for 6 years would have a limited learning experience.
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

Even though micheal maguire is only an asistant in the NRL he will be more up to date then any coach in SL because he's the assistant at a club that has won two of the last three NRL's. Regarding first team experience as has been said he takes over the coaching reins while Bellamy is on origin duty. Another plus is that Maguire is also a fully qualified strength and conditioning coach and did that job at canberra for 3 or 4 years when they finished 4th, 8th and 4th and now he's been assistant at melbourne fininsing 1st, 2nd and 1st. Not a bad CV
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Heineken don't make assistant coaches, but if they did they would produce Michael Maguire. This man has worked beside the absolute masters of the profession. 4 consecutive Grand Finals is a fantasic record in the ultra ultra competitive NRL. What most please me about this is that IL went over to Oz with bigger names in mind, but spoke to as many gurus as he could before aiming for Kearney and Maguire. Just as he wouldn't pay over the odds for Webb, a man whose CV looks better than he does these days, and who would have been a classic Mo signing.
Am very happy we are putting the future of a richly talented squad in this man's hands, with Wane bringing ample teaching in the Wigan way.
I will remain very optimistic until next March at the earliest!
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

The Noble backers say he saved us from relegation when he came and he has improved us since and given us stability.

Both these statements are true but we are only a mid table side who have lost five semi finals under his control and not won one. Further more the style of rugby we play most of the time is boring, now boring is ok if you are winning but since we are not I would rather lose having watched good open rugby than the dross we have had to endure at times.

They say he has improved our youth and academy set-ups and the back up staff are better. He has also given youth a chance.

Again its difficult to argue with these statements but we are not the fittest team in the league and I think many of the younger players have got there chance because of injuries, plus on the face of it his treatment of Ainscough has been deplorable.

They say he has never had his own team and IL has picked the players to sign.

Now Nobby has always had the final say over signings its been his choice whether we signed someone or not but even if you think its true that he had no say would you really want him to carry on. I cannot believe that a man who has so much integrity would stay in a job where he took all the blame for things that went wrong but just got on with it for the sake of a paycheque each week. If he did carry on under those circumstances how would things get better?

Statistically, and I hate these things because I was told by a lecturer once that all my life I had believed 2 plus 2 was 4 but in economics it could be anything between 3 and 5, so we have won 53% of our games and lost 42% its not getting better and the reason we have no trophies to show for it.

So I say thank you Brian for the stability but its time to move up a gear and look for some real improvement