MIKE???? and other controllers

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Kittwazzer

Re: MIKE???? and other controllers

Post by Kittwazzer »

When Wigan Nil played Sheffield in a survival match 2 seasons ago, I watched it in a pub with a member of the team. He was panic stricken at the thought of Wigan Nil being relegated. He reckoned that having a Premier League soccer team at the JJB benefits its rugby team.

I assumed he was referring to the amount of money which is thrown at Premier Division clubs by the media. No doubt we would get some benefit from anything which was spent on the ground/stadium.

CPW/DaveO

What is your take on this?

Would the demise of WAFC be a good or bad thing for the Warriors? I am not sure either way!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am not sure KW. The rules re fixtures are less stringent for non Premiership fixtures but the loss of revenue / less demands re stadia might see less investment on the ground / pitch etc.

I know despite what people wish for a single use stadia is out of the question so we have to share and make the best of it.

Pointless post Ellery BTW and why such threads get locked.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote: I know despite what people wish for a single use stadia is out of the question so we have to share and make the best of it.
A single use stadium would be financial lunacy. Whichever sport was making the single use of it!

If you are maintaining a place this size, you need to maximise its usage.

Anyone on here ever visit KUDOS, just around the corner, in the few short months before it went tits up??
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
CPW/DaveO

Would the demise of WAFC be a good or bad thing for the Warriors? I am not sure either way!
Apparently we have a very good deal at the DW stadium as far as the lease goes and so my concern is we may well be being subsidised by Latics being in the premiership.

I have no idea how much both clubs pay for playing at the stadium but my biggest concern is if Latics got relegated what effect that may have on the finances of Wigan RL.

On the supporter side I am sure if Latics reverted to being a lower league team their support in the town would diminish I don't really know what the impact of them being in the top flight has on the RL. We don't seem to do badly with them in the Prem anyway.

My only concern with Latics is if they affect us adversely in any way. Currently that seems to be having to play games away form the DW so I suppose if they got relegated and as a result that stopped but the finances for us were not affected that would be OK.

Dave

PS When I was a kid I used to watch Latics at Springfield Park and went to watch them play Man City at Main Road in the FA cup and to Wembley in the FA trophy. A Wigan team so IMO any wariness or animosity between the two stems from their recent success.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
CPW/DaveO

Apparently we have a very good deal at the DW stadium as far as the lease goes and so my concern is we may well be being subsidised by Latics being in the premiership.

I have no idea how much both clubs pay for playing at the stadium but my biggest concern is if Latics got relegated what effect that may have on the finances of Wigan RL.

On the supporter side I am sure if Latics reverted to being a lower league team their support in the town would diminish I don't really know what the impact of them being in the top flight has on the RL. We don't seem to do badly with them in the Prem anyway.

My only concern with Latics is if they affect us adversely in any way. Currently that seems to be having to play games away form the DW so I suppose if they got relegated and as a result that stopped but the finances for us were not affected that would be OK.

Dave

PS When I was a kid I used to watch Latics at Springfield Park and went to watch them play Man City at Main Road in the FA cup and to Wembley in the FA trophy. A Wigan team so IMO any wariness or animosity between the two stems from their recent success.
My only concern is that as the "main sport" in the town, Wigan RLFC, are diminished to play away games to suit the Latics season, or off season, pitch repairs, etc etc.
The DW (ex JJB) stadium would not have existed if it was not for Wigan RLFC and the excellent support it pulls in.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote: My only concern is that as the "main sport" in the town, Wigan RLFC, are diminished to play away games to suit the Latics season, or off season, pitch repairs, etc etc.
The DW (ex JJB) stadium would not have existed if it was not for Wigan RLFC and the excellent support it pulls in.
This is my only objection as well PM, other than that, I want them to do well because it benefits the town of Wigan as a whole :)

My biggest grudge was the Good Friday fixture last season, and it looks like it will be the same every time we are due to play at home on Good Friday unless the FA sort out the fixture lists and take our important games into account as well when compiling them.

A lot of Saints supporters refused to attend the game last season because of the tradition of this game. I know the attendance was 22,232, but where were the other two & a half thousand who would more than likely have been there if it had been played on its traditional day :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Josie Andrews wrote
My biggest grudge was the Good Friday fixture last season, and it looks like it will be the same every time we are due to play at home on Good Friday unless the FA sort out the fixture lists and take our important games into account as well when compiling them.

Why is it the fault of the FA like it or not wendy ball is the major/national game in this country.
Its up to the RL fixture compilers to sort out our Good Friday game and others so they dont clash with the wendy ball
ellery 4 coach

Post by ellery 4 coach »

cpwigan wrote:I am not sure KW. The rules re fixtures are less stringent for non Premiership fixtures but the loss of revenue / less demands re stadia might see less investment on the ground / pitch etc.

I know despite what people wish for a single use stadia is out of the question so we have to share and make the best of it.

Pointless post Ellery BTW and why such threads get locked.
on a thread on rumour mill we have 5 or 6 posters calling mick potter, others laughing about there stadium falling through, when ever saints are mentioned in any posts its usually in ridicule, for me saints are not the enemy they are part of the family, so why do you not lock there threads, wafc are the enemy and so are there fans ,just a little puzzled as to why you say my posts will be locked
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Don't lose any sleep over it Ellery. Post what you want.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jaws1 wrote:Josie Andrews wrote

Why is it the fault of the FA like it or not wendy ball is the major/national game in this country.
Its up to the RL fixture compilers to sort out our Good Friday game and others so they dont clash with the wendy ball
Sorry Jaws, wasn't meaning that it was entirely the fault of the FA, the RFL should negotiate with them as well, especially for clubs that ground share so there won't be an issue like GF, or for play off games. but it seems that we are the only club that ground share that has a problem when both teams are playing fixtures close together.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan