Prescott awarded MBE in New Year Honours List

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Prescott awarded MBE in New Year Honours List

Post by cpwigan »

The former St Helens and Hull full-back, Steve Prescott, has been awarded an MBE in the 2010 New Year Honours list after raising over £150,000 for charity.

Prescott, who turned 36 on Boxing Day, has been given the award for his charitable work with the Steve Prescott Foundation after he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Pseudomyxoma Peritonei in 2006.

He was told he would not see his children grow-up, however, has bravely battled against the odds to complete a number of events including the London Marathon despite undergoing intense chemotherapy.

The Foundation was set-up to raise money for The Christie Cancer Hospital and the Rugby Football League's Benevolent Fund, who are both organisations close to Prescott's heart.

In a statement released on the Foundation's website Prescott said: "It was a tremendous surprise, and although I am not doing the charity work for awards, this is one, which I will accept with open arms.

"The award is not just for me, but also for my family, friends and all the special people who have been involved with the Steve Prescott Foundation. I would like to take this opportunity to thank, not only the people close to me, but also everybody who has helped me along the way – no matter how big or small.

"Without their help and combined efforts I would not be able to achieve such a high accolade. This is something I never imagined would happen."

Very Much Deserved
cherrywarrior

Re: Prescott awarded MBE in New Year Honours List

Post by cherrywarrior »

Dam rite!! what a guy!!!! :eusa2:
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
Miggy

Post by Miggy »

Fully deserved. Well done Steve.
Take me home, Wigan Road
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Well done nice to see a deserving person get an award as opposed to Eustace Rupert Pontin-Smythe for services to his yacht.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Well done Steve :)

gpartin wrote:Well done nice to see a deserving person get an award as opposed to Eustace Rupert Pontin-Smythe for services to his yacht.
:lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Excellent news. A true hero IMO.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Truly deserved for what he has done not only for himself but his family, strangers and rugby league at a difficult time where many give up and accept.

Well done Steve.

You can still donate here:
http://www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk/Home.aspx
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: I will second that!Well done Steve and fully deserved. :D
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

Much deserved award for a great man. :eusa2:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Well Done Steve Prescott, well deserved MBE.

McGeeghin getting a "Sir" is a bit of a joke for 2010 IMO.
Does anyone know his credability for getting a knighthood, or is it my naivity.