K Pryce Injured and Out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pieaddict

Re: K Pryce Injured and Out

Post by pieaddict »

lucky 13 wrote:
pieaddict wrote:They are very simple methods and quite safe but really slow game up. Anyone can dislocate a shoulder if they roll over it with arm in wrong position. I think some of the judo coaches have trained at some clubs in league and union. A lot of take downs can be used as tackles. Not full throws for obvious reasons, but amount of time i see the leg come across a player to take them down has def increased over last few years.

A lot of these moves can be countered so the training in them will help to combat them eventually as the brain will automatically do this for you.
I can verify you are correct my lads Judo coach as worked with pro clubs. I can understand why a team would employ a wrestling/Judo coach, the take downs are very effective.
After watching some of his students who play at a national level I think just as a fitness thing our players could gain a lot, even without the advantage it gives in the grapple.
just out of intrest where is the coach based.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

ian b wrote:
cpwigan wrote:It was the famous Wigan wrestling guru who spent a few seasons helping St Helens when they were successful. His name escapes me.
is it Roy Wood from Whelley
more likely to be Roy Wood from Wizzard
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

pieaddict wrote:
lucky 13 wrote:
pieaddict wrote:They are very simple methods and quite safe but really slow game up. Anyone can dislocate a shoulder if they roll over it with arm in wrong position. I think some of the judo coaches have trained at some clubs in league and union. A lot of take downs can be used as tackles. Not full throws for obvious reasons, but amount of time i see the leg come across a player to take them down has def increased over last few years.

A lot of these moves can be countered so the training in them will help to combat them eventually as the brain will automatically do this for you.
I can verify you are correct my lads Judo coach as worked with pro clubs. I can understand why a team would employ a wrestling/Judo coach, the take downs are very effective.
After watching some of his students who play at a national level I think just as a fitness thing our players could gain a lot, even without the advantage it gives in the grapple.
Manchester/Bolton, he told me he worked with Salford I think when Harrison was at the club .
The take down aspect is very good. Judo shows how to use momentum of your opponent, improve your own balance when defending and attacking as well as things such as grip position which for leverage would be a very good thing. All have probably been used in RL but have probably only been touched upon in depth before. On a fitness level I think core strength would improve. I think with everyone now expecting most coaches and teams to utilise wrestling its a case of taking the next step and being in front of the game instead of one or two steps behind like we have seemed to be for a while. I would take it that, looking at some things in the Ausie press, MM looks like he is the kind of coach who studies another sport and then thinks how its useful in RL. Just hope it all pans out for us, the whole attitude of the club seems to be better.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Just as an aside to this issue, wasn't it the wrestling aspect of the Huddersfield game that everyone objected too last season?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

My issue was, and if you watch one of the sets they played. How they often got the tacklers on top of each other. All lay face down, when they got three men in this way on top of the tackled player it really slowed the play the ball down. The refs did start to sort it out a little but they still got away with it a lot. The top player starts to get up after a count of two then the next and so on often resulting in a five six second play after the tackle was compete add the wrestle pre tackle and it gave them good time to set.
All credit to them they got an average at best NRL coach and he took a squad that in my opinion was not as good as ours to a top four finish and a Wembley final.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ian b

Post by ian b »

pieaddict wrote:
lucky 13 wrote:

Roy has aspull wrestling gym and he is a gentleman and an excellent coach. As someone has said he trained at Billy Riley's gym which was famous all over the world.I had an American coach over last year and he just banged on about going to Wigan to see Roy's gym!, the guy is world renowned!.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

KP update. His shoulder dislocated but went straight back in. No word / idea how long that would keep him out for.

pieaddict

Post by pieaddict »

cpwigan wrote:KP update. His shoulder dislocated but went straight back in. No word / idea how long that would keep him out for.
might not be that long then. Thats what happened to me. I was training lightly with mountaineering tape to hold my shoulder in joint 2 weeks after. To be honest though i really should have taken a few weeks more
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Indeed,

Training is divided into Forwards, Backs, Injured and 'Specials' and KP is already doing some training with the Injured group.

As an aside. Everybody I speak to has seen Tommy Lu Lu training in the forwards group.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:KP update. His shoulder dislocated but went straight back in. No word / idea how long that would keep him out for.
Thanks CP, I just hope KP can recover quick and hopefully get fit.